Poll: which calculator format do you prefer?
Portrait
Landscape
Doesn't matter
Any of the two above
[Show Results]

Poll: Landscape or Portrait?
03-03-2016, 06:50 AM
RE: Poll: Landscape or Portrait?
(03-03-2016 06:38 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Diagonal: best of both worlds!

Geoff, you need one of these. I wish there were an RPN version of it.

Pauli
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2016, 07:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 07:36 AM by Geoff Quickfall.)
Hi Paul!

I took wrongulator calculus in university!

:-)
03-03-2016, 07:36 AM
Mostly portrait on my calcs, but sometimes (in case of long expressions) I use landscape on my Classpad 400.
03-03-2016, 03:48 PM
It is interesting to see all the savvy smartphone users texting rapidly with two thumbs, holding the "portrait-style" phone as it if is a landscape device a la Voyager machines. On the other hand, I have never seen anyone holding that portrait phone with two hands when making an actual phone call. Sitting on the desk, I guess it doesn't matter which orientation the calculator is, but if held in one hand while pressing keys with the other, I would say that portrait is more convenient. (IMHO)

Jake
03-03-2016, 05:02 PM
(03-03-2016 03:48 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  It is interesting to see all the savvy smartphone users texting rapidly with two thumbs, holding the "portrait-style" phone as it if is a landscape device a la Voyager machines. On the other hand, I have never seen anyone holding that portrait phone with two hands when making an actual phone call. Sitting on the desk, I guess it doesn't matter which orientation the calculator is, but if held in one hand while pressing keys with the other, I would say that portrait is more convenient. (IMHO)

Jake

Jake, I will post exactly what you wrote about everybody using ours smartphone in landscape, with both thumbs.

As for usage in the field, I have used the 15c many years out of office, with no problems, but the portrait in this case looks good too, so IMHO, it's a match.

But on the desk...nothing beats a landscape...

As many kids show us today, and even older peoples, typing with both thumbs is faster than anyway you want...

Cheers
03-03-2016, 06:54 PM
(03-03-2016 01:08 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 12:55 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  That's not even a pure calculator... Wink

Way to alienate the 71B enthusiasts! BTW, I like my Voyagers landscape and everything else portrait, except for the 71 which would still suck in portrait.

It's better than a calculator; it's a computer!

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
03-03-2016, 07:08 PM
This poll has insufficient options. Clearly the ideal form factor is a triangle.

[Image: The-Office-The-Pyramid-Tablet-550x307.png]
03-03-2016, 07:37 PM
(03-03-2016 07:08 PM)Accutron Wrote:  This poll has insufficient options. Clearly the ideal form factor is a triangle.

[Image: The-Office-The-Pyramid-Tablet-550x307.png]

That's the winner!!!
03-03-2016, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2016 11:12 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(03-03-2016 07:37 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  That's the winner!!!

Obviously, but should the hypotenuse be horizontal or vertical? Looks like it still boils down to landscape vs portrait. What about square, or the politically correct term, uni-orientational? Smile

[Image: 51nmvt3SGEL._SY300_.jpg]
03-03-2016, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 08:20 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
It took 35 posts before the acronym 'Politically Correct' was mentioned!

:-)
03-03-2016, 11:00 PM
(03-03-2016 02:49 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  ... it's hard to think of using a 12C in a portrait layout, or a 15C.

For a taste of that, try the smartphone app from RLM Tools called 12P-Lite. It supports the standard landscape layout as well as a portrait orientation.

Its real best features are that you can select 12C or 12C Platinum mode, in landscape mode it can show the stack, and program editing is much more readable.
03-03-2016, 11:59 PM
(03-03-2016 07:08 PM)Accutron Wrote:  This poll has insufficient options. Clearly the ideal form factor is a triangle.

But a square, I suppose, will satisfy all people here.
03-04-2016, 12:07 AM
(03-03-2016 11:00 PM)striegel Wrote:  For a taste of that, try the smartphone app from RLM Tools called 12P-Lite. It supports the standard landscape layout as well as a portrait orientation.

Its real best features are that you can select 12C or 12C Platinum mode, in landscape mode it can show the stack, and program editing is much more readable.

Interesting and looks very nice, thanks for sharing this. Though you wrote "smartphone app" unfortunately it appears they only support iPhones, though Mac and PC versions also exist.

Too bad, as the screen images look excellent; the stack display is a nice bonus too.

You noted that program editing is more readable - how so? For the Portrait version, are the key codes in the program code display adjusted to the new key locations? I can see how they might no be, but if not, it would be nearly impossible to use for programming... though I suppose you could switch to Landscape mode for entering/editing programs, but run them in Portrait mode.

--Bob Prosperi
03-04-2016, 12:08 AM
(03-03-2016 11:59 PM)emece67 Wrote:  But a square, I suppose, will satisfy all people here.

More likely to dissatisfy all people here... but at least its not biased.

--Bob Prosperi
03-04-2016, 01:55 AM
(03-04-2016 12:07 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  ...
You noted that program editing is more readable - how so? For the Portrait version, are the key codes in the program code display adjusted to the new key locations? I can see how they might no be, but if not, it would be nearly impossible to use for programming... though I suppose you could switch to Landscape mode for entering/editing programs, but run them in Portrait mode.

Sorry, I should have included screen captures of the program editor too.

Alan
03-04-2016, 01:58 AM
(03-03-2016 11:00 PM)striegel Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 02:49 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  ... it's hard to think of using a 12C in a portrait layout, or a 15C.

For a taste of that, try the smartphone app from RLM Tools called 12P-Lite. It supports the standard landscape layout as well as a portrait orientation.

That's why free42 is so fantastic.

It changes the 42s from portrait to landscape, just turn you smartphone or tablet.

Very cool.
03-04-2016, 02:00 AM
(03-04-2016 01:55 AM)striegel Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 12:07 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  ...

Sorry, I should have included screen captures of the program editor too.

Alan

Landscape is sooooo much better, isn't it?
03-04-2016, 02:04 AM

C'mon landscapers, let's not give up so soon, vote for landscape!

They are beaten us with no mercy!!!! Smile Smile
03-04-2016, 02:14 AM
(03-04-2016 01:55 AM)striegel Wrote:  Sorry, I should have included screen captures of the program editor too.

Thanks for posting these Alan - and you're quite right, MUCH more readable.

So I presume these programs are simulating the 12C with new code, rather than emulating one and running the original ROM code? Have you tried some of the problems in the (original) 12C manual to see if the results match?

Wish there was an Android version to check out...

Thanks!

--Bob Prosperi
03-04-2016, 02:21 AM
(03-04-2016 01:58 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  That's why free42 is so fantastic.

It changes the 42s from portrait to landscape, just turn you smartphone or tablet.

Yes, I've had Free42 on my phone for years, so I'm used to the landscape version of this one. The touch-based interface is so different from using real keys, that I find I can use both landscape and portrait almost equally.

But having never seen a portrait 12C, it's hard to imagine how it feels.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)