New SwissMicros Firmware Soon?
02-19-2016, 08:01 PM
New SwissMicros Firmware Soon?
The latest versions of firmware are all v19. On the Website, though, there's this statement:

"Please note: once a firmware version v21 and above is installed the process of flashing the CPU is slightly different."

Could this mean v21 isn't far away? One can only hope!

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2016, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2016 05:44 PM by tuukka.)
RE: New SwissMicros Firmware Soon?
V21 is now available at the download page, but firmware history document is not yet updated so I can't tell what's new.

Seems to work in DM15L and DM41L.
03-04-2016, 05:28 PM
(03-04-2016 05:19 PM)tuukka Wrote:  V21 is now available at the download page, but firmware history document is not yet updated so I can't tell what's new.

Thank you for the heads-up!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2016, 07:12 PM
I have already update to v21, but for now it seems there is no way back. A new flash tool is required which is not available yet.
03-04-2016, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2016 08:00 PM by tuukka.)
Tried to revert back to V19 on DM15L - no problems. I am using the Linux lpc21isp flashing tool.
03-04-2016, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2016 09:46 PM by tuukka.)
The revision history is now updated:

V21: 03.03.2016
DM1X fixed PSE
DMXX add setting via console to increase the time-out of the serial console mode
DMXX Fixed julian date calculation ([ON]+[STO/RCL] +/- one hour just around midnight causing day transition)
DM1X for all boards with RTC: add [ON]+[A] displaying the time with 1s increments by RTC and sleep in the mean time
DMXX Add timeout to clock mode [ON]+[A] to 5min
DM41 adjusted key mapping for LCD contrast settings to the same as the other models

Thanks for these fixes - it is nice to have this kind of customer support!
03-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Don't know if this was just a fluke or not, but I just had a hard freeze on my 41 attempting to BST through a program. It was stuck with the SHIFT annunciator on, and I had to hit the reset button, wiping memory. Fortunately the backup and restore functionality works as well as it does, so no major losses.
03-06-2016, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2016 03:11 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
I have received my DM16L this week. Smile

Here are the free tools you will need if you want to use OSX with your DMXXL.

Install/update the following software ...
* download and install CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers (http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages...ivers.aspx)
* download and install MacPort (http://www.macports.org)
* open the Terminal application
* sudo port selfupdate
* sudo port upgrade outdated
* sudo port install lpc21isp
* close the Terminal application

Console session with the device
* connect the DM unit
* put the unit in terminal mode: [c]+[on]
* start a console session: screen /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART 38400,8,n,1
* the DM unit menu is now active (press ? for help)
* put the unit in normal mode: [enter] (or any other key)
* end the console session: press [CONTROL]+[a] then [k] then [y]
* disconnect the DM unit

Firmware Upload
* connect the DM unit
* sudo lpc21isp -control -controlinv -hex DM16_21.hex /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART 115200 12000
* push the reset button on the back of the calculator
* when the upgrade is finished
* disconnect the DM unit
* push the reset button on the back of the calculator

Sylvain

Edit: firmware upload updated and is now working Smile
03-06-2016, 09:36 PM
(03-06-2016 08:41 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I have received my DM16L this week. Smile

I am still ironing out issues with firmware update on OSX with SwissMicros but here are the free tools you will need if you want to use OSX with your DMXXL.

Install/update the following software ...
* download and install CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers (http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages...ivers.aspx)
* download and install MacPort (http://www.macports.org)
* sudo port selfupdate
* sudo port upgrade outdated
* sudo port install lpc21isp

Console session with the device
* connect the DM unit
* put the unit in terminal mode: [c]+[on]
* start a console session: screen /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART 38400,8,n,1
* the DM unit menu is now active (press ? for help)
* put the unit in normal mode: [enter] (or any other key)
* end the console session: press [CONTROL]+[a] then [k] then [y]
* disconnect the DM unit

Upload a firmware (currently not working)
* connect the DM unit
* sudo lpc21isp DM16_21.hex /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART 115200 12000
* disconnect the DM unit

Sylvain

It sure is a good thing Macs are less complicated to use than PCs. Just imagine if they were harder. Wink Wink

--Bob Prosperi
03-06-2016, 10:28 PM
(03-06-2016 09:36 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  It sure is a good thing Macs are less complicated to use than PCs. Just imagine if they were harder. Wink Wink

Remember that the Mac has two personality, the UI side which is for the all users and the BSD/Unix side for the technical users.
Here, I am just importing the GNU tools into the BSD layer of the Mac through MacPort and using the LPC flashing tool (lpc21isp) to program the MCU.

I am currently reading the source code of the lpc21isp tool and the user manual of the Cortex M0 (LPC 1115) to better understand what is going on.
At this point it seems that the VCP drivers for the Mac is not handling correctly one of the hardware flow control line who is probably mapped to the PIO0_1 GPIO line of the MCU.
This has the effect of not putting the MCU in ISP mode and then not being able to flash it.

In the meantime, I was able to use the Windows tools in a VM to do the flashing, but I prefer to use OSX to do it. Wink

Sylvain
03-06-2016, 11:22 PM
(03-06-2016 10:28 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 09:36 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  It sure is a good thing Macs are less complicated to use than PCs. Just imagine if they were harder. Wink Wink

Remember that the Mac has two personality, the UI side which is for the all users and the BSD/Unix side for the technical users.
Here, I am just importing the GNU tools into the BSD layer of the Mac through MacPort and using the LPC flashing tool (lpc21isp) to program the MCU.

I am currently reading the source code of the lpc21isp tool and the user manual of the Cortex M0 (LPC 1115) to better understand what is going on.
At this point it seems that the VCP drivers for the Mac is not handling correctly one of the hardware flow control line who is probably mapped to the PIO0_1 GPIO line of the MCU.
This has the effect of not putting the MCU in ISP mode and then not being able to flash it.

In the meantime, I was able to use the Windows tools in a VM to do the flashing, but I prefer to use OSX to do it. Wink

Sylvain

Sounds extremely technical. Do you know any embedded systems programmers? Oh, wait.... umm... you're all good. Nice of you to document it so thoroughly. If I had to do this on a Mac, I'd like instructions just like these. Meanwhile, though it was quite easy to do on Windows, something went wrong and the flash programing was apparently not properly completed (bad file?) and I have an error. Waiting for a reply from SM, which usually arrives incredibly fast.

--Bob Prosperi
03-07-2016, 03:34 AM
As expected the issue was with the VCP driver for OSX.
The DTR line operation is inverted, so the trick was to invert that line with the -controlinv option.
The final command for OSX is: sudo lpc21isp -control -controlinv -hex DM16_21.hex /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART 115200 12000
I have updated the above procedure.
Sylvain
03-07-2016, 04:30 AM
I just knew you would figure it out quickly.

As expected, SM replied very promptly (even on a Sunday) and the problem with my DM15L is corrected. Basically an over worrisome mom (me), but good to know it's resolved.

--Bob Prosperi
03-08-2016, 03:40 PM
(03-04-2016 05:19 PM)tuukka Wrote:  V21 is now available at the download page, but firmware history document is not yet updated so I can't tell what's new.

The version listed for the 41L is still 19. Is it safe to use version 21 for the 15L on the 41L?

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
03-08-2016, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2016 04:46 PM by Dave Britten.)
(03-08-2016 03:40 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  

The version listed for the 41L is still 19. Is it safe to use version 21 for the 15L on the 41L?

Tom L

Click the "see all files" link, and you'll find v21 for the 41 among the listing. I don't know if there's any significance to the fact that it isn't shown on the main firmware page. (Not quite ready for production use yet?)

EDIT: Looks like v21 is listed on the main download page now.
03-08-2016, 10:48 PM
(03-08-2016 04:45 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  EDIT: Looks like v21 is listed on the main download page now.

Yes it is, but the link is broken.
Code:
https://www.swissmicros.com/firmware/DM41_V21.hex
should be https://www.swissmicros.com/firmware/DM41_21.hex.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)