HP Spice series simulators for iPhone
02-18-2016, 05:20 PM
HP Spice series simulators for iPhone
For those who still have fond memories of Hewlett-Packard's last LED calculators, I just published simulators for the 1978 Spice series members named "Thyme" and "Chive". Both run on the iPhone (iOS 8 and later.)

RPN-32 CE (Thyme)
  • Full, photo-realistic simulation of the HP-32E scientific calculator
  • Programmable (unlike the original)
  • Non-volatile memory
  • Unrestricted store and recall arithmetic
  • Register display
  • Store, print and share programs
  • 24 sample programs included

RPN-38 CX (Chive)
  • Full, photo-realistic simulation of the HP-38C programmable business calculator
  • Non-volatile memory
  • No memory mapping
  • Insert/delete steps with automatic GTO correction
  • Additional functions like INT, FRC, RND, PAUSE, comparisons
  • Unrestricted store and recall arithmetic
  • Register display
  • Store, print and share programs
  • 18 sample programs included
For details, check out my homepage.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2016, 06:53 PM
RE: HP Spice series simulators for iPhone
Looks great. I use your Vintage 45 on my 4s.
02-18-2016, 08:18 PM
(02-18-2016 05:20 PM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  I just published simulators for the 1978 Spice series members named "Thyme" and "Chive". Both run on the iPhone (iOS 8 and later.)

Any chance of seeing these beautiful emulators on Android? The 67 in particular would be nice.

--Bob Prosperi
02-18-2016, 08:38 PM
(02-18-2016 08:18 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(02-18-2016 05:20 PM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  I just published simulators for the 1978 Spice series members named "Thyme" and "Chive". Both run on the iPhone (iOS 8 and later.)

Any chance of seeing these beautiful emulators on Android? The 67 in particular would be nice.

Who knows? But most certainly not coming from me. I simply don't have the resources to embark on another platform.
02-18-2016, 10:13 PM
(02-18-2016 08:18 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  

Bob
Have a look at go67c from Olivier de Smet. Once you find it in the Google app store you might be interested in more apps from Olivier. Some of them are free. Thus you can get a feeling without risking your precious money. I have a lot of his emulators and really enjoy playing around with them.

Here you'll find an overview of his projects.

</commercial> Smile Günter
02-19-2016, 12:27 AM
These two new additions are wonderful. It's great to have the ability to load and save programs. The 38C is the predecessor of the legendary 12C and can run most 12C programs, except those involving bonds or depreciation. Since there is currently no 12C app that loads or saves programs, RPN-38 CX might be of interest to 12C users as well as those, like me, who love the Spice Series.

The emulator for the 32C adds programming to a very popular scientific. Love them!

Regards,
Bob
02-19-2016, 01:21 AM
(02-18-2016 10:13 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  Bob
Have a look at go67c from Olivier de Smet. Once you find it in the Google app store you might be interested in more apps from Olivier. Some of them are free. Thus you can get a feeling without risking your precious money. I have a lot of his emulators and really enjoy playing around with them.

Here you'll find an overview of his projects.

</commercial> Smile Günter

Thanks for these links Günter! I have purchased and use go41cx all the time, and have tried at least one other one in the past; I have no complaints at all with Olivier's great emulators. Upon seeing Namir demo some of Willy's emulators at HHC, I found I like the real device look his have. You how shiny new toys look.

It seems I've never seen the full selection of Olivier's emulators, as I now see some I was not familiar with. I clearly need to look more closely at some of these that are new to me. There are even HP-87 and Series 200 model emulators, wow!

--Bob Prosperi
02-19-2016, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2016 09:25 AM by Guenter Schink.)
(02-19-2016 01:21 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Thanks for these links Günter! I have purchased and use go41cx all the time, and have tried at least one other one in the past; I have no complaints at all with Olivier's great emulators. Upon seeing Namir demo some of Willy's emulators at HHC, I found I like the real device look his have. You how shiny new toys look.

It seems I've never seen the full selection of Olivier's emulators, as I now see some I was not familiar with. I clearly need to look more closely at some of these that are new to me. There are even HP-87 and Series 200 model emulators, wow!

A perfect companion for the go41cx is the go41cxt on a tablet. It shows the printer output, e.g. program listing on the left (scrollable), the calc itself on the right. And in the centre per your choice keys to simulate the operation of a Wand. These keys may be redefined at your will. But even more the centre can be switched to permanently show the contents of the stack and of the registers (scrollable), even the special registers if you wish.

It was a great help at the programming contest last year.

One thing to resolve still is a problem with go71b. It crashes on my Galaxy S4 smartphone as well on my Galaxy Tab S2 since a recent android software upgrade. I guess Olivier will provide a solution, as always, once I'll report the issue.

Do you think we'll meet at Vancouver? Haven't heard anything convincing from Geoff for a while!

Günter

Edit: Changed TAB2 to Tab S2
02-19-2016, 08:32 PM
(02-19-2016 07:44 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  A perfect companion for the go41cx is the go41cxt on a tablet. It shows the printer output, e.g. program listing on the left (scrollable), the calc itself on the right. And in the centre per your choice keys to simulate the operation of a Wand. These keys may be redefined at your will. But even more the centre can be switched to permanently show the contents of the stack and of the registers (scrollable), even the special registers if you wish.

It was a great help at the programming contest last year.

One thing to resolve still is a problem with go71b. It crashes on my Galaxy S4 smartphone as well on my Galaxy TAB2 since a recent android software upgrade. I guess Olivier will provide a solution, as always, once I'll report the issue.

Do you think we'll meet at Vancouver? Haven't heard anything convincing from Geoff for a while!

Günter

My tablet is Windows based, so none of these options work for me now, though I am considering an Android tablet so I can check out some of these expanded emulator designs.

I'm also going to have to check out the 71b emulator. As this is my favorite machine in real life, perhaps the emulator will be a favorite too, but I'm guessing a normal sized phone is too small to use the 71b effectively.

Have not heard about Vancouver other than the note Geoff posted saying a couple hotels were dropped from the list of candidates for being too expensive. Hoping this is settled soon. Thanks Günter.

--Bob Prosperi
02-19-2016, 08:41 PM
Back to the subject at hand...

Has anyone else tried these two apps? I think they are beautiful! Incredibly realistic emulation of the originals. And the big surprise is that the emulator of the HP-32E is actually programmable ! Something the original wasn't. Being able to load and save programs is a big plus to me, as with the emulator for HP-67.

For some time there have been plenty of Android apps for the Spice series, but not for iOS. Several years ago, Maciej Bartosiak did emulators for about 5 of the Spice series, along with Classic and a couple of the Woodstocks, but those only lasted a year and, while effective, were not at all photorealistic.

I think Cuvee Software outdid themselves with these two new offerings. I'd love to hear from others who have tried these two new apps!

Regards,
Bob
02-20-2016, 01:49 AM
Wow, I'm amazed of the Cuvees HP97! I will grab my daughter IPAD and buy one...Must be gorgeous in a big screen...I bet my daughter will not play with her IPad this weekend...
02-20-2016, 02:05 AM
(02-19-2016 07:44 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  One thing to resolve still is a problem with go71b. It crashes on my Galaxy S4 smartphone as well on my Galaxy TAB2 since a recent android software upgrade. I guess Olivier will provide a solution, as always, once I'll report the issue.

Günter

Gunter, I have the go 71b in a Samsung tablet 2, 7in android 4.1 and it works ok, but in my wife's android 5.0 it's not working. I've already emailed Olivier but he did no responded.

I just bought his go97, as it's my recent passion...fantastic app.

Cheers

JL
02-20-2016, 09:19 AM
(02-20-2016 02:05 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 07:44 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  One thing to resolve still is a problem with go71b. It crashes on my Galaxy S4 smartphone as well on my Galaxy TAB2 since a recent android software upgrade. I guess Olivier will provide a solution, as always, once I'll report the issue.

Günter

Gunter, I have the go 71b in a Samsung tablet 2, 7in android 4.1 and it works ok, but in my wife's android 5.0 it's not working. I've already emailed Olivier but he did no responded.

I just bought his go97, as it's my recent passion...fantastic app.

Cheers

JL

I must correct myself. My tablet is a Galaxy Tab S2. Thus also running on 5.x
I also have an Acer Iconia A500 with Android 4.4 and there go71b runs flawlessly.

Günter
02-20-2016, 12:45 PM
(02-20-2016 01:49 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  Wow, I'm amazed of the Cuvees HP97! I will grab my daughter IPAD and buy one...Must be gorgeous in a big screen...I bet my daughter will not play with her IPad this weekend...

When I opened RPN-97 on my shiny new iPad Pro for the first time, I was blown away. Having never done the size calculations, I wasn't prepared to see an HP-97 in true size (well, very close.) Amazing. Size really matters.
02-20-2016, 07:11 PM
One new feature I really like on Cuvée Software programmables is the ability to save & load programs using Dropbox. That way I can have easy access to them on any of my devices without having to fire up iTunes. While the two new Spice series apps are written for iPhone, they can certainly run on iPad as well.

Regards,
Bob
02-20-2016, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2016 09:06 PM by Matt Agajanian.)
Hi there.

Excellent news! I have wanted to get the 32E on my iPad! Works nicely in portrait mode. There seems to be a glitch though. Or, I may be missing a step. On both my iPhone 4S and iPad Mini 2 running iOS 9.2.1, keying in the famous Mach calculation exactly from HP manuals seems to yield incorrect intermediate results. Even after I have both removed, reinstalled the app and reset my iPhone & iPad.

GOOD NEWS IS the 35 intermediate and final result calculations are correct though.

Please advise.

Thanks
02-20-2016, 11:36 PM
(02-20-2016 09:04 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Hi there.

Excellent news! I have wanted to get the 32E on my iPad! Works nicely in portrait mode. There seems to be a glitch though. Or, I may be missing a step. On both my iPhone 4S and iPad Mini 2 running iOS 9.2.1, keying in the famous Mach calculation exactly from HP manuals seems to yield incorrect intermediate results. Even after I have both removed, reinstalled the app and reset my iPhone & iPad.

GOOD NEWS IS the 35 intermediate and final result calculations are correct though.

Please advise.

Thanks

Hi Matt,

I entered the Mach formula in RPN-32 on my iPhone 6 exactly as shown here: Mach
(scroll down half the page to Example XXVI)

I found two differing results:
4th to last: 0.579614684 vs. 0.579614685 on RPN-32 (vs. .5796146848 on RPN-35)
Final result: 0.835724536 vs. 0.835724535 on RPN-32 (vs. .8357245352 on RPN-35)

The corresponding 15-digit results are:

So it seems RPN-32 simply gives more precise results than the original calculators. As does RPN-35.
Sorry about that.
02-21-2016, 12:27 AM
(02-20-2016 11:36 PM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  
(02-20-2016 09:04 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Hi there.

Please advise.

Thanks

Hi Matt,

So it seems RPN-32 simply gives more precise results than the original calculators. As does RPN-35.
Sorry about that.

Okay. Here's what I notice:

After going through the HP-45 and onward steps for the Mach calculation, I tried the HP-35 variation--ENTER^ x for x^2. So, after I press 350 ENTER^ 661.5 / ENTER^ x

somehow when I enter 0.2 x, the result is 0. It seems after the HP-35 method of ENTER^ x, the stack lift is disabled and 0.2799 is cleared from the Y register. Just a hunch but, it seems +, -, x, and / disable stack lift. But, like I said, when I tried the HP-35 method of ENTER^ x to square, somehow stack lift doesn't go.
02-21-2016, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2016 12:19 PM by Willy R. Kunz.)
(02-21-2016 12:27 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  
(02-20-2016 11:36 PM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  Hi Matt,

Sorry about that.

Okay. Here's what I notice:

After going through the HP-45 and onward steps for the Mach calculation, I tried the HP-35 variation--ENTER^ x for x^2. So, after I press 350 ENTER^ 661.5 / ENTER^ x

somehow when I enter 0.2 x, the result is 0. It seems after the HP-35 method of ENTER^ x, the stack lift is disabled and 0.2799 is cleared from the Y register. Just a hunch but, it seems +, -, x, and / disable stack lift. But, like I said, when I tried the HP-35 method of ENTER^ x to square, somehow stack lift doesn't go.

Ah, now I see what you mean. It's not about a calculation error, but a stack lift problem. And yes, it's a bug, plain and simple, caused by not uncommenting a line in the source code. Already fixed for the next update.

What happens is that 5 ENTER +, for example, doesn't reenable automatic stack-lifting (disabled by the ENTER statement), so the next entry will overwrite the result. However, 5 ENTER y^x and most other operations are not affected by the bug.

As a workaround you can insert an x<>y operation. For example, 7 ENTER x<>y + would cause the stack to behave as expected.

RPN-38, while sharing a lot of code with RPN-32, works correctly.

Thanks for reporting the issue. If possible, please use the contact link on my website cuveesoft.ch for comments and bug reports, as I'm not visiting this forum on a daily basis.
02-21-2016, 07:07 PM
(02-21-2016 12:16 PM)Willy R. Kunz Wrote:  
(02-21-2016 12:27 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Okay. Here's what I notice:

Ah, now I see what you mean. It's not about a calculation error, but a stack lift problem. And yes, it's a bug, plain and simple, caused by not uncommenting a line in the source code. Already fixed for the next update.

What happens is that 5 ENTER +, for example, doesn't reenable automatic stack-lifting (disabled by the ENTER statement), so the next entry will overwrite the result. However, 5 ENTER y^x and most other operations are not affected by the bug.

As a workaround you can insert an x<>y operation. For example, 7 ENTER x<>y + would cause the stack to behave as expected.

RPN-38, while sharing a lot of code with RPN-32, works correctly.

Thanks for reporting the issue. If possible, please use the contact link on my website cuveesoft.ch for comments and bug reports, as I'm not visiting this forum on a daily basis.

Willy,

Thank you for looking into this. My apologies for making this post at MoHPC and not discretely sending you a message at CuVee's site.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)