HP-41 rom created from HP 67 games solution books - anyone ?
02-06-2016, 04:18 AM
HP-41 rom created from HP 67 games solution books - anyone ?
HP 67 games for HP 41 rom

The above link is to a .zip file that has the HP 67 games pac and games solution book programs converted to run on the HP-41C. These materials came from the HP museum forum software library, it turns out.

This has the .raw files in the .zip and some .d41 dataset files for a couple of the programs.

It appears there are a few dependences for HP-41 card reader functions in these. I have seen 7ISZ, 7DSZ and 7PRSTK, but there may be a couple of others.

Anyone able to take these and create an HP 67 games rom image for the HP 41 ? :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2016, 09:27 PM
RE: HP-41 rom created from HP 67 games solution books - anyone ?
(02-06-2016 04:18 AM)Gene Wrote:  The above link is to a .zip file that has the HP 67 games pac and games solution book programs converted to run on the HP-41C. (...)
It appears there are a few dependences for HP-41 card reader functions in these. I have seen 7ISZ, 7DSZ and 7PRSTK, but there may be a couple of others.

Still not a single reply yet? Then let me add my two cents:

IMHO more or less direct HP41 translations of HP67/97-programs are not a good idea. Often the result is far from the optimum and the programs include useless overhead (duplicate labels etc.), not to mention the usage of special 67/97-compatibility functions that are only available with the card reader. Even if they are not really required because the same functionality might habe been achieved with standard HP41 functions as well.

Especially in games and similar programs a 1:1 translation of the 67/97's very limited I/O features may stay far behind what could be done on the HP41, while a dedicated re-programmed HP41-version could add many benefits (text messages, labelled output etc).

So I think a complete rewrite of these programs will suit the HP41 much better. That's why I do not think that a ROM with directly translated HP67/97 code is a particulary good idea.

Dieter
02-08-2016, 07:03 AM
(02-07-2016 09:27 PM)Dieter Wrote:  So I think a complete rewrite of these programs will suit the HP41 much better. That's why I do not think that a ROM with directly translated HP67/97 code is a particulary good idea.

Agreed! ;-)
02-08-2016, 12:03 PM
True, but I was at least trying to pick games out of the HP 67 games material that was not directly available (yet) on the HP 41.

If there was already an HP 41 game of the same type, I didn't include it.

:-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)