Reprogram indivdual keys based on Entry Mode?
01-28-2014, 02:55 AM
Reprogram indivdual keys based on Entry Mode?
Hi all;

Is this possible?

For instance, you have selected RPN mode and would like the x to the y key action to be reversed from what it is now...while in "RPN" mode.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2014, 05:35 AM
RE: Reprogram indivdual keys based on Entry Mode?
(01-28-2014 02:55 AM)Craig Thomas Wrote:  Hi all;

Is this possible?

For instance, you have selected RPN mode and would like the x to the y key action to be reversed from what it is now...while in "RPN" mode.

Sure, just branch according to the value of the system variable called 'Entry'. If Entry=2, you're in RPN mode, otherwise not.

By the way, are you sure you want the x^y key to act in reversed stack order? It currently raises level 2 to the level 1 power (formerly known as y^x), even though the key is called x^y (ignore the name!). If you switch the order, it won't be acting like all the recent RPN calculators which raise level 2 to the level 1 power.

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-28-2014, 08:03 AM
(01-28-2014 05:35 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(01-28-2014 02:55 AM)Craig Thomas Wrote:  Hi all;

Is this possible?

Sure, just branch according to the value of the system variable called 'Entry'. If Entry=2, you're in RPN mode, otherwise not.

By the way, are you sure you want the x^y key to act in reversed stack order? It currently raises level 2 to the level 1 power (formerly known as y^x), even though the key is called x^y (ignore the name!). If you switch the order, it won't be acting like all the recent RPN calculators which raise level 2 to the level 1 power.

Thanks Joe.

The trouble for me is that I 'look' at the keys and have been using the X Y Z T convention for so long I have a difficult time ignoring it on the Prime. I love having a limitless stack (48 series), I am not wedded to four levels, but the beauty of having the x and y on the keys telling the user what numbers are being manipulated is so intuitive at this point that I'd like to make my prime consistent with my HP48SX, HP48S, HP48G, HP48G, HP15CLE, HP15CLE and my HP32SII. I don't mention my HP35S which sees little use, being HP's clumsiest attempt at an engineering calculator.

The Prime would be fine as long as I remembered that the labels for X to the Y and nth root of X are backwards compared to all my other listed calculators. I don't always remember and this causes me errors.

Thanks for mentioning "Entry"; I did not see it until I browsed the Prime Help Menu.
01-29-2014, 01:54 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2014 01:55 AM by Mark Hardman.)
[Image: attachment.php?aid=211]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
01-29-2014, 08:38 AM
....laughing....

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)