Prime Emulator on Surface Pro 4
11-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Prime Emulator on Surface Pro 4
Hello,
I have just installed the emulator on a surface Pro 4 (Windows 10).
The emulator is running well, but it is so small that it is nearly impossble to work with.
I tried to magnifiy the skin using Windows's on board tools (adjusting the display, factor 200%) but that is not enough. (I am not an experienced user of Win!)
Does anybody know a solution to this? Or is it just the Surface display specs of 2736x1824 pixels which causes the problem here?
Thomas
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2015, 06:49 PM
RE: Prime Emulator on Surface Pro 4
Maybe the next version of the conn kit and emulator is going to support high resolution screens (dpi scaling techniques, etc) but for now I think a proper solution is to edit the skin to support your resolution.

I made a little editor months ago if you want to start that journey, the steps are:
1) http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-859.html
2) get a big image of the prime
3) open a built in skin with the editor, replace the image and move all the buttons to the new calc

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-24-2015, 07:03 PM
(11-24-2015 05:05 PM)ThomasA Wrote:  Does anybody know a solution to this? Or is it just the Surface display specs of 2736x1824 pixels which causes the problem here?

The problem is that the application manifest incorrectly identifies the application as being "dpi" aware. This prevents windows from scaling it up to larger sizes.

I'm not sure if there is any way to change this on your end. You can try using the "large" skin which should help some. Another thing would be a new skin as mentioned by erwin.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
11-24-2015, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2015 08:40 PM by ji3m.)
Any hope for the android version?

I work with android Prime only for now on my
Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
11-24-2015, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2015 08:47 PM by Tim Wessman.)
(11-24-2015 08:40 PM)ji3m Wrote:  Any hope for the android version?

I have no clue to what you are referring here. Please elaborate.

TW

11-24-2015, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2015 09:25 PM by ji3m.)
Sorry.
I just assumed that Eried's pgm would not work on the android prime apk.
But maybe it would. The apk is a zip file with xml manifests and such.
I dont know how the windows version works.

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
11-24-2015, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2015 10:10 PM by Tim Wessman.)
(11-24-2015 09:23 PM)ji3m Wrote:  I just assumed that Eried's pgm would not work on the android prime apk.
But maybe it would. The apk is a zip file with xml manifests and such.
I dont know how the windows version works.

Ah, got it. I don't think there is an easy way to add stuff in the android version. It might mess up some signing things.

What are the changes in the skin you are wanting? I might be able to get the artwork for it done over the holiday. Then when/if there is an update at some point in the future it would possibly be improved some.

TW

11-24-2015, 10:25 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2015 10:32 PM by ji3m.)
Actually ive replaced the skin on the go49 emulator last year.

I just opened the apk file on a pc with winzip and replaced the image with the one i made years ago for my windows phone..

Then I re-signed it.

There is an app call apksign to re-sign it. ((mahadi apk signer) zipsigner 2)

I hadnt really thought about it but one thing there are comments about on the playstore is wasted screen space.

So one option would be to widen the prime screen , keeping the correct 320/240 aspect to fill the android screen width.

Then the keyboard area would shrink vertically and widen horizontally to fill the rest of the screen.
The keys would get more rectangular but that should be fine.

This is for the portrait mode.

I suppose one could hand edit the xml file to get the buttons right.but its outa my pay grade. (brainwise).

It would really help on the phone, but i really have no problem on the 8 inch tablet.

Maybe it could be passed on the the android prime people. But if i had my druthers adding key clicks is a far more important improvement. I get about 50% typing errors in the prime app but almost none in any other abdroid app like the keyboard since it clicks quietly.

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
11-25-2015, 12:03 AM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2015 12:23 AM by chromos.)
(11-24-2015 10:25 PM)ji3m Wrote:  ... I hadnt really thought about it but one thing there are comments about on the playstore is wasted screen space.
So one option would be to widen the prime screen , keeping the correct 320/240 aspect to fill the android screen width.

Then the keyboard area would shrink vertically and widen horizontally to fill the rest of the screen.
The keys would get more rectangular but that should be fine.

This is for the portrait mode.

Yes, it will be very nice. If you look at attachment, which layout do you like more?

Prime, 15C CE
11-25-2015, 12:24 AM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2015 12:25 AM by ji3m.)
The one on the left of course. Did ypu just do this?

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
11-25-2015, 05:23 AM
Did you mean if I modified layout at android app? No, only editing screenshot in graphical editor.

Prime, 15C CE
11-25-2015, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2015 03:17 PM by ji3m.)
I didnt think you did that. My android image editors sre too dumb to doit to a screenshot.

Anyhow I downloaded your image to the tablet and switched between viewer app and prime. Its a great improvement.

Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)