The HP 34E Ir with PANAMATIK ACT
09-25-2015, 02:08 PM
RE: The HP 34E Ir with PANAMATIK ACT
(09-25-2015 10:16 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  
(09-25-2015 07:58 AM)Harald Wrote:  Well, while the ACT wasn't physically damaged, on mine I managed to erase the bootloader by not having the order of the connections right.

I'm not sure whether you managed to erase the boot loader, because I forgot to test it, when I reprogrammed your ACT. The boot loader protects itself and normally cannot be erased. If the LED flashes only very short at power up, then the boot loader is still present but immediately starts the calculator each time because of the wrong order power up sequence. Only if the calculator doesn't start up any more then something has been erased.

IR printing:

Well, you are right, placing it in the middle by just drilling two small 0.8 -1 mm holes is still the most easy and minimal invasive way to install the printing diode. Nevertheless your placement looks industrially perfect and is a second alternative.

Bernhard

Well, I tried a couple of things myself before returning it to you.
The calculator didn't power up, the red LED didn't turn on at all and several attempts at reflashing, also with the original setup that used to work before, were unsuccesfull.
So something definately happened. When you returned it the first attempt at flashing was succesfull. Thanks again for re flashing the bootloader!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2015, 12:28 AM
(09-25-2015 02:08 PM)Harald Wrote:  Well, I tried a couple of things myself before returning it to you.
The calculator didn't power up, the red LED didn't turn on at all and several attempts at reflashing, also with the original setup that used to work before, were unsuccesfull.
So something definately happened. When you returned it the first attempt at flashing was succesfull. Thanks again for re flashing the bootloader!

Your ACT was the only one until now, that had to be reprogrammed, and this could indeed have to do with strange signals at the programming lines. I hope this will remain a single event. I don't like to get headache. Wink

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
09-30-2015, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2015 11:19 AM by PANAMATIK.)
Just for showing, that I am working on it and there has been some progress in making vinyl overlays.

These are is the designs for the HP-29E and HP-34E. HP-29E will be available first. If it is verified, that all button holes are suitable and the vinyl material is OK, we will order the next overlays.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RZUdQLTlBUWhpa1k][Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_Rc0QwMUJiR3FkbUU]

Bernhard

09-30-2015, 03:25 PM
Nice job.

The overlays will sure add to the usefulness of the calculator. Would the next batch be the 67 :-)

Tanks Bernhard
09-30-2015, 03:47 PM
(09-30-2015 03:25 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Nice job.

The overlays will sure add to the usefulness of the calculator. Would the next batch be the 67 :-)

Tanks Bernhard

The next batch will be HP-67 and HP-34 at the same time. Smile

Bernhard

10-04-2015, 04:10 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2015 04:11 AM by Dave Frederickson.)
(09-23-2015 05:44 PM)Harald Wrote:  
(09-23-2015 04:44 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Very nice, Harald!

Just last week I found on eBay a complete 34C "for parts". I'm considering modifying my 25E Ir, too. As the resident expert on USB cable adapters, what's the part number for the cable you used? With that type of plug I believe it's important to plug it into the calculator before pluging in the USB end, correct?

Dave

The cable is my WP34s flash cable prototype which I hacked from an old USB to RS485 adapter. But any USB to UART cable should do.

The USB needs to be plugged in first, the Calculator after starting Bernhards flash tool. This is necessary because of the way he gets into the bootloader.
You have to take care that Vcc is the last connection to be made on the jack. If this isn't the case you can (and will, as I found out the hard way) damage Bernhards ACT.

I'm concerned that the connections are made simultaneously. At microcontroller speeds it's possible for Vcc to make contact before the Tx pin.

USB is designed to be hot-plugged, consequently the power pins are longer and make contact before the data pins. I've installed a micro-USB receptacle inside the battery compartment and wired the connector so Gnd and Tx are connected to the long pins and are assured of making contact before Vcc.

Micro-USB breakout board positioned with double-sided foam tape.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-GPxm...lpiQTJmWTA

Silicone adhesive added for strength.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-GPxm...jJodjdJQkE

All wired. Essential tools in background.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-GPxm...3JJYzkyWFE

Blind-mate the case halfs.

Cable unplugged.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-GPxm...k1oUzVPTG8

Cable plugged in.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-GPxm...ERMeTdUTVk

Here's the problem. The ACT won't program when plugged into the 25. Unplugged it programs fine.

Dave
10-04-2015, 06:06 AM
Haven't got answer for you, but did you see the first two pages of my PDF at Bernard's website, I only ask as it looks like you have a single malt on your last photo!

Cheers, Geoff
10-04-2015, 06:23 AM
(10-04-2015 06:06 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Haven't got answer for you, but did you see the first two pages of my PDF at Bernard's website, I only ask as it looks like you have a single malt on your last photo!

Cheers, Geoff

Yes, I did. Smile It's important to follow protocol.

I believe the problem is because I have a 3.3V cable. I'll need to investigate.

Dave
10-04-2015, 06:48 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2015 06:57 AM by PANAMATIK.)
(10-04-2015 04:10 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Here's the problem. The ACT won't program when plugged into the 25. Unplugged it programs fine.

Dave

Hello Dave,

Your idea to place the USB/RS232 converter inside the calculator does not match with the constraint that the ACT 5-pin connector has to be connected AFTER the RS232 TX pin has been pulled to low level. See ACT manual description. I assume that the TX voltage level of your converter is undefined at power up and therefore you can enter the bootloader only by chance.

The sequence must be: plug in converter, then start flash update application and select COM port, then connect to ACT with TX pin before or simultanuously to VCC.

I'm sorry that this at the first glance elegant idea cannot reliably invoke the ACTs boot loader.

To follow Geoffs protocol is however the correct idea. Smile

Bernhard

10-04-2015, 06:50 AM
Your up,late!

Catching up to speed on FRAM flashing.

Could be 3.3v cable but nominal range is 3 to 5v if I am not mistaken. You say it flashes outside but not when plugged into the 25 PCA. could there be a draw in the chip to the PCA that is interfering?

Cheers,

Flux is your friend and protocols are important.

P.s. Thanks for your work on the FRAM project, extremely helpful including the toolkit!
10-04-2015, 07:03 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2015 07:11 AM by Dave Frederickson.)
(10-04-2015 06:48 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 04:10 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Here's the problem. The ACT won't program when plugged into the 25. Unplugged it programs fine.

Dave

Hello Dave,

Your idea to place the USB/RS232 converter inside the calculator does not match with the constraint that the ACT 5-pin connector has to be connected AFTER the RS232 TX pin has been pulled to low level. See ACT manual description. I assume that the TX voltage level of your converter is undefined at power up and therefore you can enter the bootloader only by chance.

The sequence must be: plug in converter, then start flash update application and select COM port, then connect to ACT with TX pin before or simultanuously to VCC.

I'm sorry that this at the first glance elegant idea cannot reliably invoke the ACTs boot loader.

Bernhard

Hi Bernhard,

No, I'm following the constraints. I'm using a 3.3V FTDI cable and have followed the color-coding in my wiring to the new ACT. As you can see, Tx on the orange wire is connected to pin 5 on the USB connector and Gnd on the black wire is connected to pin 1. These are the long pins that make first contact, per the manual. When the plug is inserted fully Vcc makes contact and the LED lights every time. What happens is the downloader loses communication with the ACT at varying intervals during download. Also, that I can program the new ACT by unplugging it would indicate that the cable is wired correctly. I suspect the 25's PCB is loading down the 3.3V regulator in the cable.

There are two possibilities that I will investigate that are due to a mix up I made when ordering the cable. The bottom line is I ordered the 50mA 3.3V cable rather than the 250mA cable. My cable might not have enough current to power the new ACT and the connected circuitry. The other possibility is that I need a 5V cable. I'm not familiar with the 25's circuitry but by hooking up a bench supply I can determine which condition is causing the problem. I think Harald used a 5V cable and had no issues.

Dave
10-04-2015, 07:45 AM
(10-04-2015 07:03 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  No, I'm following the constraints.....
Dave

You are right! If LED lights up then boot loader is entered.

I delivered always 5V cables with the ACT update kit. This should work best, but I cannot guarantee whether the HP power supply doesn't interfere when the ACT is plugged in.

Try!

Bernhard

10-04-2015, 11:41 AM
(10-04-2015 07:03 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I think Harald used a 5V cable and had no issues.

Yes, it is a 5V cable I am using.
I haven't measured how much current the 25 draws, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is your problem.

Cheers,
Harald
10-04-2015, 02:29 PM
(10-04-2015 07:45 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  I delivered always 5V cables with the ACT update kit.

I didn't know you had programming cables available. Following the instructions in the manual I built one, but it probably would have been simpler if I had bought one, instead.

Dave
10-04-2015, 04:14 PM
(10-04-2015 02:29 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 07:45 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  I delivered always 5V cables with the ACT update kit.

I didn't know you had programming cables available. Following the instructions in the manual I built one, but it probably would have been simpler if I had bought one, instead.

Dave

I offer the cable with USB/Converter together with the complete ACT Ir version with Update kit. Because I need the same soldering time like everybody else for preparing this version, it is more expensive.

The detailed instructions in the manual are made for all ACT users, who want to save costs.

Bernhard

10-04-2015, 04:41 PM
(10-04-2015 04:14 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 02:29 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I didn't know you had programming cables available. Following the instructions in the manual I built one, but it probably would have been simpler if I had bought one, instead.

Dave

I offer the cable with USB/Converter together with the complete ACT Ir version with Update kit. Because I need the same soldering time like everybody else for preparing this version, it is more expensive.

The detailed instructions in the manual are made for all ACT users, who want to save costs.

Bernhard

I'm just trying to understand the products and pricing. Your website lists the 25E and 25E Ir upgrade kits at 80 and 139 euros. Is that with or without the programming adapter? I would not need to purchase another programming adapter for a second upgrade kit so I would expect to see pricing both with and without the adapter.

Also, is the adapter available separately?

Dave
10-04-2015, 05:58 PM
(10-04-2015 04:41 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I'm just trying to understand the products and pricing. Your website lists the 25E and 25E Ir upgrade kits at 80 and 139 euros. Is that with or without the programming adapter? I would not need to purchase another programming adapter for a second upgrade kit so I would expect to see pricing both with and without the adapter.

Dave

Hi Dave,

25E is without adapter , 25E Ir is with modified ACT and adapter.

Please understand, this it primarily a repair kit for do it yourself. If you buy the Ir Version it includes the update kit as a bonus. The cheaper version doesn't give you update possibility, except you build it yourself.

I do not sell USB/RS232 adapters seperately, because you can get them everywhere very cheap.

I did not have a customer who bought two 25E Ir ACTs. If so, perhaps he will get two adapters, which indeed doesn't make sense.

Bernhard

10-04-2015, 07:20 PM
(10-04-2015 05:58 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 04:41 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I'm just trying to understand the products and pricing. Your website lists the 25E and 25E Ir upgrade kits at 80 and 139 euros. Is that with or without the programming adapter? I would not need to purchase another programming adapter for a second upgrade kit so I would expect to see pricing both with and without the adapter.

Dave

Hi Dave,

25E is without adapter , 25E Ir is with modified ACT and adapter.

Please understand, this it primarily a repair kit for do it yourself. If you buy the Ir Version it includes the update kit as a bonus. The cheaper version doesn't give you update possibility, except you build it yourself.

I do not sell USB/RS232 adapters seperately, because you can get them everywhere very cheap.

I did not have a customer who bought two 25E Ir ACTs. If so, perhaps he will get two adapters, which indeed doesn't make sense.

Bernhard

Thank you for that explanation, Bernhard.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)