NP-41 Emulator (may be)
05-12-2016, 10:18 PM
RE: NP-41 Emulator (may be)
Thanks for the update Chris!

I would say I am salivating right behind Massimo... but that would be just wrong. But I will say that I am looking forward to your latest creation when ready. Keep it up as time allows.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2016, 07:54 PM
There hasn't been a discussion in this thread for quite some time.
Just wondering if there are any news on the project. I still quite regularly use my NP41. I quite like it and haven't found any flaws yet. But it is only basic number crunching I use it for. And the occasional little program.

Thanks again for this great calculator,
Cheers,
Harald
10-20-2016, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2016 02:20 PM by Chris Chung.)
Apologies for a very belated reply / update.

I hit another obstacle in life mid August and I had to again take another leave from my hobbies and other routines to attend to it.

I was not on a good mood and also do not want to upset you all w/ my own troubles and had ceased visiting the forums.

A member PMed me on my well-being and I recognized I should give an update here. I am well and all things are improving.

As for the NP41 project. I had ordered and received a few new PCBs (one piece) in August. And I had, with help from Waon again, ordered and received 300 units of 14-segment LCD.
All of them untouched sitting in my basement.

I will work on the new PCB for another unit and see if it fits to be made into a general offer (as it was intended). And I am not interested in expanding / refining the firmware at this moment. The firmware will be confined to it's current state.

I had both the NP41 and NP41S units at home and in the office for day to day use. They are still on the same battery for 3+ months. And I am confident that the firmware is reliable for the basics. Have not spent much time in the ROM modules but they do load when I was playing w/ them.

I will return and check on the forum again. Thanks for your interest in my projects.
10-20-2016, 06:37 PM
(10-20-2016 02:08 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  Apologies for a very belated reply / update.

Obviously no apologies needed.
We all waited a long time for a 41 successor and now several opportunities arise.
What are a few months more to wait?

Be well,
Massimo

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-20-2016, 09:41 PM
(10-20-2016 02:08 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  A member PMed me on my well-being and I recognized I should give an update here. I am well and all things are improving.

This is by far the most important!

I'm still interested in your NP41(S) project, and I'll read with pleasure your future posts here.

Jean-Charles
10-20-2016, 10:20 PM
(10-20-2016 02:08 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  I will return and check on the forum again. Thanks for your interest in my projects.

Perhaps it is a little bit late to talk about, but your wonderful NP-25 project two years ago was the major model, which finally inspired me to build the new ACT circuit. It was different to just a PC emulator, because it was real hardware. The interest in your projects still couldn't be greater and I will wait any time for the new NP-41.

Thank you

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
10-21-2016, 08:36 AM
It is good to hear from you Chris! I hope whatever problems you had could or can be resolved.

The NP41 is in my drawer at work and I use it regularly, although maybe not as often as I could do.
The main workhorse still is the 15c.
The WP34s gets used whenever I need complex numbers or binary or hex conversions.
Due to my recent project I have a couple of classic series calculators on the desk as well.
I have the feeling my colleagues think I have lost my mind ;-P
10-21-2016, 03:44 PM
(10-21-2016 08:36 AM)Harald Wrote:  It is good to hear from you Chris! I hope whatever problems you had could or can be resolved.

The NP41 is in my drawer at work and I use it regularly, although maybe not as often as I could do.
The main workhorse still is the 15c.
The WP34s gets used whenever I need complex numbers or binary or hex conversions.
Due to my recent project I have a couple of classic series calculators on the desk as well.
I have the feeling my colleagues think I have lost my mind ;-P

Harold;
Anyone who regularly uses at least three RPN calculators has a lot of mind to potentially loose.
You're good for decades.
10-25-2016, 10:08 PM
Hi Chris,

Count with me for your NP41(S) project
12-01-2017, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 08:22 PM by Chris Chung.)
I have 10 units of NP-41 for sale right now. I am asking US$75 for these units and shipping is included. I cannot ship to China and South America as they always failed w/ my non-trackable basic shipping. There is also a simple 3D-printed case comes w/ the units.

A total of 12 units were finished early in the year (between March and May). I kind of lost interest in electronics (this and other projects) and was focusing on other things. I know its been a long time and I hope you are still interested in my infrequent updates.

[Image: ZZIyeAgwkJ3DkvBl1]

These are hand soldered and I had also a few failed units that was abandoned. A disc buzzer is included that makes a very little noise, only BEEP works in this version.

With a USB-TTL serial cable (you can get from ebay) you can download 4 application ROMs. And you can also upgrade firmware when it become available. However these features were not extensively tested and definitely on on all the units so consider them beta features.

Another option to update firmware in the future is through the use of Texas Instruments various programmers or "LaunchPad" development kits (about $12.00 + $6.99 worldwide shipping)

I am selling 10 units and reserve 2 units as spares for this lot. Since they are not professional quality, if your unit failed within one year, I will replaced them w/o cost (you paid for shipping of return, I will ship replacement / repair for free).

The units are turned upside down in their simple 3D-printed cases to protect the LCD. They will be shipped in 7 x 4 x 1.5" boxes w/ bubble wraps. There is a printed simple instruction included, like the NP25. There will be no CR2032 included as lithium batteries are not allowed for mailing.

[Image: m1nAFuPX3bHEKP3p1]

I have this list of members that had indicated interests very early so if there are more demands than 10 they will have priority.

massimo, rprosperi, geir, sylvain

Please reply here initially if you are interested or if you have any questions.

/EDIT Looks like google photo link not working well. Please see this shared folder for photos.
12-01-2017, 08:18 PM
I am interested in an NP-41 if one is available to me.
12-01-2017, 09:45 PM
(12-01-2017 08:15 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  I have 10 units of NP-41 for sale right now. I am asking US$75 for these units and shipping is included.

I have this list of members that had indicated interests very early so if there are more demands than 10 they will have priority.

Promises are promises.
Put me in for one, thank you! Let me know how to finalize the deal.
Oh, that display...

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2017, 10:13 PM
I also like to have one. As Massimo said, please provide the details for the deal.

Günter
12-01-2017, 10:24 PM
If there is one i may buy, please put me on the list. Thanks -db
12-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Count one for me please. Thanks for developing the NP-41 and for your offer !
12-02-2017, 12:41 AM
(12-01-2017 09:45 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 08:15 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  I have 10 units of NP-41 for sale right now. I am asking US$75 for these units and shipping is included.
Promises are promises.
Put me in for one, thank you! Let me know how to finalize the deal.
Oh, that display...
Same for me!
I take one, let us know how to proceed, thank you!
Best regards,
Sylvain
12-02-2017, 02:42 AM
Please add me to the growing list of those wanting to purchase these delightful looking machines!

Santa is going to be very good to me this year.

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
12-02-2017, 03:21 AM
I want one too! (If I can make the economy work)

Håkan
12-02-2017, 04:00 AM
I will take one if any are left. I rushed to add this note and did not count the number of requests above me. Just let us know the cost, payment procedures, etc.

Thanks Chris!

--Bob Prosperi
12-02-2017, 01:24 PM
(12-01-2017 08:15 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  Please reply here initially if you are interested

I'd love to get one. How to proceed?

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)