Errata for 71B Developer's Handbook ?
07-11-2015, 07:57 PM
Errata for 71B Developer's Handbook ?
I've recently dug out the 71B Developer's Handbook to use the supplied Forth utilities. I also found hard copies of these Forth utilities (that came with book) I had printed back then and they have some corrections added by my hand (e.g. OVER in the code s/b changed to DUP, one hard address changed to another, etc.) but no notes indicating why the changes should be made. It's pretty clear they weren't changed because I was smarter than the guy that wrote them, so I'm assuming there must have been some sort of Errata issued by HP, though a thorough search of all my docs and about 20 3-ring binders turned up nothing.

Does anyone recall if there was either an Errata sheet or possibly a later version of the disk/cards that came with this Handbook?

For 71B owners, if you haven't looked at this book in a while (it's on the DVD set), take a look. Lots more interesting things and sample code than I remembered. On the down side, some stuff I've recently seen in some of my old programs, which convinced me I was truly inspired back then, turn out to have been blatantly stolen from this book. Sigh...

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2015, 08:25 PM
RE: Errata for 71B Developer's Handbook ?
A copy of the software can be found at the HP Computer Museum, but hard copies of the Forth utilities seem to be missing from my collection. Would they be in the FTHUTILx files themselves?
07-12-2015, 01:12 AM
RE: Errata for 71B Developer's Handbook ?
(07-11-2015 08:25 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  A copy of the software can be found at the HP Computer Museum, but hard copies of the Forth utilities seem to be missing from my collection. Would they be in the FTHUTILx files themselves?

Yes, all the Forth utilities come in 2 formats: a ready-to-use FORTHRAM file that has all the utilities built-in (FTHUTILC), but also in Assembler (FTHUTILA) and FORTH FTHUTILF) source files (text files), which you can assemble/compile into your existing FORTHRAM file, thus saving any words you may have already defined.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)