thanks to wp 34s developers and a question
05-30-2015, 06:20 AM
thanks to wp 34s developers and a question
I'll try to keep this short. I'm a part time adult engineering student and an engineering tech. I started using free42 on my android phone for my EE classes and discovered the joys of the HP 42s. I can't use a phone on exams so I bought a real 42s for a ridiculous sum of money and I love it! It made complex number work so much easier.

I found out about the 34s here and bought one from commerce.hpcalc.org and I love it. I've found it very helpful for day-to-day calculations in the lab and machine shop. The other day a coworker was curious about how many degrees a 0.025" rotation at a 2.0" radius would represent and I pulled out my calculator and figured it out using my 34s instantly. I've done quite a few unit conversions with it, again, without having to work hard for it at all. It's a tool that was designed to get things done! I've never experienced that with the TI81 I grew up with.

All the guys I work with (old Navy lab guys with 41c's and 15c's) are impressed by the 34s, too. It's fun to have a new toy that the experienced guys are impressed by. Thank you for developing such a useful tool!

On to my question- I want to try the new 34s firmware with complex number lock but I'm lazy. Is anyone currently selling a 34s flash cable? I know I could try the simulator but it's just not the same!

Thanks all!

Jamie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2015, 06:11 PM
RE: thanks to wp 34s developers and a question
I used a 34C in school, then years later a 42S then a 50G. The 42S was definitely my favorite, with a perfect feature set for homework and tests. When that died, I wanted something new, so I went to the 50G. This had the advantage of the multilevel stack, but the learning curve on programmability was rather steep.

Now at work I use the free 42 or a 15C. For me, the priorities have always been:
1. RPN
2. Easy programmability
06-10-2015, 05:43 AM
RE: thanks to wp 34s developers and a question
Thanks for the post. I haven't yet found a good reason to write any programs for my 42s or 34s but I'm sure it's just a question of time before I have good reason to do so, especially given work and school applications- the sonar equation, relative hydrophone output based on a reference level at a given frequency, etc (I work in acoustics). I just ordered two more WP 34s from Eric's site; hopefully he'll be able to flash the other firmware for me. One will be a gift to a good friend!

Jamie

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)