How much has RPN/RPL spoiled you?
06-19-2015, 02:20 AM
RE: How much has RPN/RPL spoiled you?
I can't find the thread at the moment but it was announced here that the HP50G is being discontinued.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2015, 02:29 AM
Well, the OP is a good question.

Not really for me, and I ask you for advice for I think I'm spoiling my kids.

Let me explain: I have a boy of 11 and a princess of 9. They enjoy playing with me and the calculators. We play something like, I dont know the name in english, puppets or só. The HP 50g is the calculator father, the HP 49g is the mother that just arrived from shopping inf LA with its bluish color and fancy cover, the 33s is the daughter, the 35s the son, a Casio fx-101 from 1976 is the grandpa and a commodore from 75 is the grandma.
The 48's are uncles and só on. We invent many stories and we make some calculations togheter, they only kknow the 4 basic operations.

The thing is THEY ONLY KNOW RPN!! They dont even think what algebraic is!! They dont use the Casio or the commodore as I Always remove the batteries after using it. They check their homework with a 42s!! With my supervision, of course.

Once my daughter open the calculator drawer and not knowing picked up a 27s. She instantly asked me "Daddy, where is the ENTER key?"

I don't know if I'm doing right.

Am I spoiling my kids?

P.S.: sorry for my english.
Find all posts by this user
06-19-2015, 06:52 AM
(06-19-2015 02:20 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  I can't find the thread at the moment but it was announced here that the HP50G is being discontinued.
Indeed Sad.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-3265.html
06-19-2015, 02:57 PM
(06-19-2015 02:29 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  Well, the OP is a good question.

Let me explain: I have a boy of 11 and a princess of 9. They enjoy playing with me and the calculators. We play something like, I dont know the name in english, puppets or só. The HP 50g is the calculator father, the HP 49g is the mother that just arrived from shopping inf LA with its bluish color and fancy cover, the 33s is the daughter, the 35s the son, a Casio fx-101 from 1976 is the grandpa and a commodore from 75 is the grandma.
The 48's are uncles and só on. We invent many stories and we make some calculations togheter, they only kknow the 4 basic operations.

The thing is THEY ONLY KNOW RPN!! They dont even think what algebraic is!! They dont use the Casio or the commodore as I Always remove the batteries after using it. They check their homework with a 42s!! With my supervision, of course.

Once my daughter open the calculator drawer and not knowing picked up a 27s. She instantly asked me "Daddy, where is the ENTER key?"

Am I spoiling my kids?

Jlouis; They will have to learn and use Algebraic some day. Then they'll have a second map of the mathematical world. If they end up using numbers to make a living they'll find that knowing any two different ways to do something will be better than only knowing the easiest way. One to do it - one to independently check. Keep spoiling them. -db
06-19-2015, 03:10 PM
(06-19-2015 02:57 PM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  

Am I spoiling my kids?

Jlouis; They will have to learn and use Algebraic some day. Then they'll have a second map of the mathematical world. If they end up using numbers to make a living they'll find that knowing any two different ways to do something will be better than only knowing the easiest way. One to do it - one to independently check. Keep spoiling them. -db

Thanks for your reply.

You said very wise words.

Cheers
06-28-2015, 02:55 AM

Am I spoiling my kids?

I think you are teaching something wonderful to your kids, and dont worry about them not learning algebraic, 10 years of teachers banging algebraic mode thinking will teach them but youll rest assured that you taught them to use calculators in the most efficient way!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)