[wp34s] Need help compiling the Qt emulator (Win7)
05-19-2015, 06:43 PM
[wp34s] Need help compiling the Qt emulator (Win7)
Put it shortly: can anybody being able to compile the Qt emulator in Win7 give me any clue about the correct tool configuration needed to to that?

And the long history:

I've spent a few days tinkering with the wp34s sources trying to get some insight on its workings.

Up to now, I have been able to compile the firmware, the "old" emulator and, also, to (very slightly) modify the sources to better suit my needs.

But I'm not capable at all to compile the Qt emulator.

I'm working in Win7, with MinGW, VS2010, ActiveState Perl and I have tried various versions of Qt (4.8.0, 4.8.4, 4.8.6, 5.0 & 5.4) and also various versions of QtCreator (2.5.2 and that in Qt 5.4). I've tried both MinGW & VS2010 flavours of the Qt SDK but to no avail.

The VS2010 versions of Qt seem to be incompatible with the source code (the MS compiler does not like some C++ idioms present in the sources) so I think that the MinGW is the correct way. But, no matter how I try, it always gives errors. Entering make (or mingw32-make or mingw32-make qt_gui) always ends with a "missing separator" error in Makefile.Release. Trying to compile via QtCreator ends with some not found header files (the MinGW way) or syntax errors (VS2010 way). I've even tried to compile via VisualStudio, but the errors reported are so cryptic that it is impossible to know the root cause ("something" is "not found").

I've double checked the path variable on each try to ensure that the expected Qt\bin path is reachable.

Any help will be welcome.

Thanks & regards.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2015, 11:44 PM
RE: [wp34s] Need help compiling the Qt emulator (Win7)
After some tries I finally managed to compile it.

The trick seems to be the correct mix of compiler versions. I am now able to compile the calculator and both emulators with exactly these versions:
  • Yagarto 20110429 (with gcc 4.6.0)
  • MinGW with both gcc & g++ version 4.6.2
  • MS Visual C++ Express 2010
  • Qt 4.8.4 (for MinGW gcc 4.4)

Regards.
05-23-2015, 04:48 AM
You should not need the Microsoft compiler (except for the old emulator) nor to use Qt Creator.

When it comes to the version to use and the process, everything is explained in the README_QtGui.txt you will find in the Qt subdirectory.

The Qt sources are not compatible with the Microsoft compiler because they were designed with the multi-platform compatibility in mind (Windows, OSX, Linux) as well as the use of free tools.
05-24-2015, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2015 12:02 PM by emece67.)
In fact I had read that file prior to my first post. But following its instructions didn't worked for me to get an error free compilation.

Current MinGW distributions do not support gcc versions < 4.6 and, when you install Qt 4.8.4 (the Qt version stated in such file), it claims for a MinGW version (4.4) no longer (easily) available and warns you about possible issues with your installed MinGW other than 4.4.

As I, definitely, get issues when compiling, I assumed that the MinGW/Qt version mismatch was the reason, so I opted for maintaining the Qt version at 4.8.4 and using a MinGW version "close" to that expected by Qt, ending up with the tool mix I posted earlier. It almost worked, as I also needed to compile and install a library (QExtSerialPort) present neither in Qt 4.8.4 nor MinGW 4.6.2, but needed at the linking stage (in any case, even with an error free compilation, the I/O comms. do not work in my case).

Perhaps in OSX or Linux the situation is easier, but this is what I needed in Win7.

Regards.

Edit: downloading the qextserialport library sources from git hub, I'm now able to compile a fully working (including comms) Qt emulator.
05-24-2015, 07:47 PM
(05-24-2015 06:44 PM)emece67 Wrote:  Current MinGW distributions do not support gcc versions < 4.6 and, when you install Qt 4.8.4 (the Qt version stated in such file), it claims for a MinGW version (4.4) no longer (easily) available and warns you about possible issues with your installed MinGW other than 4.4.
Ok. I forgot that MingGW loves to make previous versions unavailable.

(05-24-2015 06:44 PM)emece67 Wrote:  It almost worked, as I also needed to compile and install a library (QtExtSerialPort) present neither in Qt 4.8.4 nor MinGW 4.6.2, but needed at the linking stage (in any case, even with an error free compilation, the I/O comms. do not work in my case).
Strange. It is QtSerial.

(05-24-2015 06:44 PM)emece67 Wrote:  Perhaps in OSX or Linux the situation is easier, but this is what I needed in Win7.
Yes, Windows is the worst platform when it comes to compiling such open-source/multi-platform software.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)