Multiple Matrix entries using space key
05-05-2015, 05:40 AM
Multiple Matrix entries using space key
I've been a long time HP user/lover, I own an HP48GX, HP50G, HP35S and just recently I got myself an HP Prime. And eventhou I have mixed feelings about it, it is a great tool.

However when entering numbers in the Matrix writer, It really annoys me that I cant write an entire row or column the way I used to do it on an HP48G or 50G.

For example say I want to enter the numbers 1,8,9 and 2 in the first row of a matrix, On a 48G I just have to write 1 [space] 8 [space] 9 [space] 2 [space] [enter] and the entire row gets filled with the numbers, but this doesnt work on the Prime, instead I have to enter each number using the enter key, followed by pressing the right arrow to make the matrix larger in size.

To make matters worse, the matrix writter has a mind of its own, in a way that it tries to predict the size of your matrix, so it automatically limits your columns and rows unless you hit the arrow keys to make the matrix larger, the cursor is constantly being repositioned to different places and its just inefficient.

Any help?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2015, 07:17 AM
RE: Multiple Matrix entries using space key
use the comma button ,,
05-05-2015, 08:11 AM
I tried that before, comma doesnt work on the matrix writter
05-05-2015, 06:31 PM
(05-05-2015 08:11 AM)AnalogJoe Wrote:  I tried that before, comma doesnt work on the matrix writter

It does on the matrix template when entering from the command line, but you still have to use the down arrow to go to the next row.
05-05-2015, 11:27 PM
AnalogJoe: You mentioned the "matrix writer" on the Prime. There's no such thing (at least by that name). Are you referring to the command line matrix template that only works in Textbook Entry and RPN Entry modes, or the matrix editor in the Matrix Catalog (Shift 4)? Or something else?

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2015, 03:44 AM
Hi, im sorry yes, the thing I refer to as the Matrix Writer is the window that opens up when you hit shift + 4.

And yes on the command line I can use comma but when I hit the down cursor, instead of going to the beggining of the next row it goes to the position just below the previous row, thus I have to press the "left arrow" multiple times to go to the beggining of the row, its just inefficient.
05-06-2015, 08:47 AM
(05-06-2015 03:44 AM)AnalogJoe Wrote:  Hi, im sorry yes, the thing I refer to as the Matrix Writer is the window that opens up when you hit shift + 4.

And yes on the command line I can use comma but when I hit the down cursor, instead of going to the beggining of the next row it goes to the position just below the previous row, thus I have to press the "left arrow" multiple times to go to the beggining of the row, its just inefficient.

Don't forget the touch screen's ability to relocate the cursor with a single tap; no need to press the cursor key multiple times, or even Shift cursor. Just tap the screen on the desired cell, and then continue typing numbers. Much faster than the 50g!

Yes, you need to tell the Shift 4 matrix editor how wide the matrix is, but only once per matrix. End the first row manually, and then the cell highlight automatically returns to column 1 after each subsequent row is entered. That's exactly the same way the 50g MatrixWriter works.

I personally wish that the Prime allowed the HP 50g shortcut for command-line entry of matrices, e.g. [[1 2 3]4 5 6 7 8 9] --> a 3×3 matrix. I use this shortcut notation all the time on the 50g. Even in Algebraic Entry mode, Prime doesn't allow it (even if commas are used instead of spaces). You have to type all the brackets: [[1,2,3],[4,5,6],[7,8,9]].

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
05-06-2015, 09:00 AM
(05-06-2015 08:47 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  I personally wish that the Prime allowed the HP 50g shortcut for command-line entry of matrices, e.g. [[1 2 3]4 5 6 7 8 9] --> a 3×3 matrix. I use this shortcut notation all the time on the 50g. Even in Algebraic Entry mode, Prime doesn't allow it (even if commas are used instead of spaces). You have to type all the brackets: [[1,2,3],[4,5,6],[7,8,9]].

I agree: +1!

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
05-06-2015, 02:22 PM
(05-06-2015 08:47 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  I personally wish that the Prime allowed the HP 50g shortcut for command-line entry of matrices, e.g. [[1 2 3]4 5 6 7 8 9] --> a 3×3 matrix.

It does. In the home screen and algebraic turned on. [[1,2,3],4,5,6,7,8,9 ENTER gives you a 3x3.

I'll put the request around improvements for 2d entry in the list though. Definitely should be something possible to improve things there.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
05-06-2015, 11:45 PM
(05-06-2015 08:47 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Don't forget the touch screen's ability to relocate the cursor with a single tap; no need to press the cursor key multiple times, or even Shift cursor. Just tap the screen on the desired cell, and then continue typing numbers. Much faster than the 50g!

Ooops I just forget the thing has a touch screen, I guess im used to pressing keys.
05-07-2015, 04:12 AM
(05-06-2015 02:22 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 08:47 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  I personally wish that the Prime allowed the HP 50g shortcut for command-line entry of matrices, e.g. [[1 2 3]4 5 6 7 8 9] --> a 3×3 matrix.

It does. In the home screen and algebraic turned on. [[1,2,3],4,5,6,7,8,9 ENTER gives you a 3x3.

AHA! Smile Awesome! It wasn't working for me before because I didn't put a comma before the 4 (unneeded on the 50g but Prime apparently requires it). Thanks, Tim!

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)