WP34S - deleting a "buP" program
04-20-2015, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2015 12:54 PM by CR Haeger.)
WP34S - deleting a "buP" program
Hello,

I would like to know how to delete a program that has been stored or backed up using the PSTO command.

In my case, I stored program 'F' by pointing to it in RAM then using PSTO. It now shows in both Lib and bUP.

I have been unsuccessful in being able to now delete this program from the calculator. I have tried:
* Read pg 109-119 and the IOP (PSTO, PCRL and RESET) in the v3.3 owners manual
* f-CLP on both the RAM and buP versions of 'F'
* RESET command
* Pulling both batteries

Let me know if there are proper software commands to delete this or if a physical PIN RESET should be used.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2015, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2015 01:54 PM by BarryMead.)
RE: WP34S - deleting a "buP" program
(04-20-2015 12:53 PM)CR Haeger Wrote:  I would like to know how to delete a program that has been stored or backed up using the PSTO command.
Erase the program from RAM memory by pressing g P.FCN END, then f CLP and confirm with R/S.
Find the name of the program you wish to delete in flash memory using the CAT button and the up and down scrolling buttons and press Enter.
Then press f CLP and confirm with R/S. (To erase the program in the flash memory catalog)

Now hold down the ON button and press STO twice. (To copy RAM memory to the backup partition)

You will find that your program has been erased from flash, RAM memory, and the backup partition as well.

Hope this helped.
04-20-2015, 05:58 PM
[/quote]
Find the name of the program you wish to delete in flash memory using the CAT button and the up and down scrolling buttons. Then press EXIT. Press GTO ENTER and the three letter name you found above.
Then press f CLP and confirm with R/S. (To erase the program in the flash memory catalog)

Now hold down the ON button and press STO twice. (To copy flash memory to the backup partition)

You will find that your program has been erased from flash memory and the backup partition as well.

Hope this helped.
[/quote]

Yep - that did the trick, thank you. I would not have known to copy the flash to the backup...
04-21-2015, 11:34 AM
(04-20-2015 05:58 PM)CR Haeger Wrote:  I would not have known to copy the flash to the backup...

Not the flash but the RAM. "buP" is the backup area in flash which hosts a copy of the RAM contents created with the ON+STO+STO sequence. Its main intention is to have a safe copy of your RAM contents in case of a battery failure or a long term storage.

Being able to actually access code and data in the backup is an added feature. You can run programs directly by name if they are neither stored in RAM nor in the flash library. You can recall portions of the backup area (code, registers, summation data, configuration) into RAM or restore the complete backup as a whole.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
04-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Thank you Barry and Marcus for the explanation.

Frankly, I am still a novice with managing program code. I will study the owners guide some more and test some procedures.

In general, I think I would like to be able to:
1. Backup/write protect certain program code once it is something I want to save/protect
2. Recall/edit that code if I think it needs improvement. Then backup/write protect it again.
3. Safely delete certain backed up/write protected program code if I decide its no longer needed

Maybe safe steps for doing 1-3 above could be developed, shared and added to the guide?

Best,
Carl

ps - sorry for "simple questions". I will have more coming, including proper use of hot key labels A-D...
04-22-2015, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2015 08:57 PM by walter b.)
(04-21-2015 12:42 PM)CR Haeger Wrote:  In general, I think I would like to be able to:
1. Backup/write protect certain program code once it is something I want to save/protect
2. Recall/edit that code if I think it needs improvement. Then backup/write protect it again.
3. Safely delete certain backed up/write protected program code if I decide its no longer needed

There's a 1-page paragraph in App. A called I/O Overview. I guess it might help.
  • Task 1 can be done by PSTO.
  • Task 2 can be done by PRCL, editing, and PSTO.
  • Task 3 is the most difficult.
Please see also the IOP for PRCL and PSTO, and the explanation of CAT in Section 5.

d:-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)