DM-41
04-28-2015, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2015 06:09 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
RE: DM-41
(04-28-2015 01:56 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  I think I may have a claim to priority since I started thinking of a replica 41C around 1990 but didn't get any further than deciding to call it a GH 41C.

Not really a strong claim, but I can claim concept priority.

Eheheheh... Smile
And I wrote a simulator in the mid '80s.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2015, 03:09 PM
The odds are high there have been other people thinking about such concepts before you. I can excavate designs (pictures, not only text) of 2006 IIRC, and there were others before me (please see below). Sorry.

d:-)
Find all posts by this user
04-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Come on folks, we don't believe everything.

d;-)
04-28-2015, 06:16 PM
(04-28-2015 03:10 PM)walter b Wrote:  Come on folks, we don't believe everything.

d;-)

Exercise your faith! :p

Greetings,
    Massimo

04-29-2015, 12:05 AM
I got my DM-41 in the mail today and flashed it with the v18 firmware. It is working fine - I'm excited!

One thing I can't figure out, though - how do I change the overlay? There is nothing on the swissmicros site about this.

Many thanks.
04-29-2015, 05:46 AM
Unfortunately the overlays are just that - they don't replace the keyboard, thy sit on top of it, preferably in the case.
04-29-2015, 02:30 PM
(04-19-2015 09:09 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  While it's really impressive, it should be taken to the next level. That is it should include the architecture of the CL. What a device that would be Smile

It wouldn't be *legal* - the CL is a proprietory design, not public domain.
04-29-2015, 05:33 PM
(04-29-2015 05:46 AM)NetMage Wrote:  Unfortunately the overlays are just that - they don't replace the keyboard, thy sit on top of it, preferably in the case.

If I had known this I likely would have gotten the flip-open case rather than the slip case...

Live and learn!
04-29-2015, 07:02 PM
(04-29-2015 02:30 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  
(04-19-2015 09:09 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  While it's really impressive, it should be taken to the next level. That is it should include the architecture of the CL. What a device that would be Smile

It wouldn't be *legal* - the CL is a proprietory design, not public domain.

But it should at least be possible to load modules via the USB interface.

Günter
04-30-2015, 05:09 AM
(04-28-2015 01:58 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  And I wrote a simulator in the mid '80s.

I wasn't the first to write a microcode-level simulator for an HP calculator, but AFAIK I was the first to publish the source code of one, in 1995. Many of the subsequent ones, including mobile apps and physical calculators, have been influenced by my work, some credited and some not.
04-30-2015, 06:16 AM
(04-22-2015 08:13 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I can dream, can't I? I never said it'd be a good business decision.

... absolutely, Dave. Dreams are where innovations come just before they end up in our sandboxes, and then on to our drawing boards (or in some people's cases our Fritzing boards) and then out to production!

Dreams are great!

(isn't it amazing that not even the Swiss [I'm thinking of Army knives] cannot get the dome button switch to work either!)

<sigh>

Kind regards,
marcus
04-30-2015, 06:22 AM
(04-30-2015 05:09 AM)brouhaha Wrote:  
(04-28-2015 01:58 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  And I wrote a simulator in the mid '80s.

I wasn't the first to write a microcode-level simulator for an HP calculator, but AFAIK I was the first to publish the source code of one, in 1995. Many of the subsequent ones, including mobile apps and physical calculators, have been influenced by my work, some credited and some not.

I should have used emulator rather than simulator. :)
While true, my sentence had to be taken with tongue in cheek...
Nothing remotely comparable to Nonpareil, of course.

You and Hrast are in another league, far away. Chapeau!

Greetings,
    Massimo

05-01-2015, 07:12 AM
Does anyone know how to do alpha mode insert? I tried shift-K in alpha mode but no joy. It doesn't appear on the overlays as far as I can see either...

Thanks!
05-01-2015, 07:34 AM
(05-01-2015 07:12 AM)Sukiari Wrote:  Does anyone know how to do alpha mode insert? I tried shift-K in alpha mode but no joy. It doesn't appear on the overlays as far as I can see either...

I'm not sure if this is related to your question, but does anybody notice that the alpha mapping is different from the regular HP-41C? For instance K is over the XEQ key on the HP-41C but over the CHS key on the DM-41.
SO, is alpha-append shift-XEQ or shift-CHS?

I can't test, I didn't order my DM-41... yet.

J-F
05-01-2015, 08:09 AM
(04-30-2015 05:09 AM)brouhaha Wrote:  

I'm rather sure, that your available source code influenced all of the subsequent emulators. Even if somebody made an emulator from scratch only by reading HP patents descriptions and making his own experiments, he must have heard about that idea from you.

My honestly thanks for your work and for what it has caused directly or indirectly since.

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
05-01-2015, 08:13 AM
I don't really understand the excitement and buzz with the DM products.
The keyboard doesn't seem of any practical use, it is totally light weight, so I really don't see me using it for real purposes. I would even tend to think that a phone emulation would be of more use.
So is there any real interest or is it just geek buzz (which I can understand by the way Smile no blaming here)?
05-01-2015, 09:07 AM
(05-01-2015 08:13 AM)Tugdual Wrote:  I don't really understand the excitement and buzz with the DM products.
The keyboard doesn't seem of any practical use, it is totally light weight, so I really don't see me using it for real purposes. I would even tend to think that a phone emulation would be of more use.
So is there any real interest or is it just geek buzz (which I can understand by the way Smile no blaming here)?

The keyboard is usable, not pleasant - I've typed in my essential programmes & have used the toy for "real purposes".

go41CX on a Samsung S3 is much more pleasant to use, but not in the Kalahari. Battery life on the toy is supposed to be excellent.

Pocketability is first-class, the only defect is it might easily get stolen.

The "just" in the last sentence is much like the "yet" in Wayne's World.

Yes, definitely a joy for geeks & also for anyone needing a handy programmable calculator.

Will report back on the keyboard when mine deteriorates.
05-01-2015, 09:58 AM
(05-01-2015 09:07 AM)Gerald H Wrote:  go41CX on a Samsung S3 is much more pleasant to use, but not in the Kalahari. Battery life on the toy is supposed to be excellent.
A solar charger would be handy there Smile
05-01-2015, 11:59 AM
(05-01-2015 07:34 AM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 07:12 AM)Sukiari Wrote:  Does anyone know how to do alpha mode insert? I tried shift-K in alpha mode but no joy. It doesn't appear on the overlays as far as I can see either...

I'm not sure if this is related to your question, but does anybody notice that the alpha mapping is different from the regular HP-41C? For instance K is over the XEQ key on the HP-41C but over the CHS key on the DM-41.
SO, is alpha-append shift-XEQ or shift-CHS?

I can't test, I didn't order my DM-41... yet.

J-F

alpha-append is shift-XEQ on the DM-41. And it does appear on the overlay.
05-01-2015, 12:20 PM
I played around with the serial console functionality. I can backup the DM-41 and restore it using the 'Dump Memory' and 'Load Memory' commands. I've used Tera Term on my Windows 8.1 PC (PuTTY doesn't work on my computer for unknown reason). However, the en/decode utility doesn't (yet) support the DM-41 so you cannot easily transfer programs to the HP-41. You have to type it in, and that's a little painful and might cause finger spasms ;-)

I also wanted to know if synthetic programming works. I could create a byte grabber and typed in the Westminster Chime program. Unfortunately, two of the synthetic tones do not sound right, they just cause a long and low buzz.

Another thing I've noticed is that the Master Clear (pressing ON+[<-]) doesn't work. A workaround is to go into serial console mode, execute the 'Load Memory' command and press RETURN on the PC (i.e., loading no data). This will cause a MEMORY LOST when you leave the serial console mode on the DM-41.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)