DM-41
04-23-2015, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2015 02:47 AM by BarryMead.)
RE: DM-41
(04-22-2015 07:54 PM)walter b Wrote:  Assume Swiss Micro wants to make at least a little business with these models. If I understood correctly, you want to buy one model plus overlays only. Why shall they do that?
They wouldn't do that unless by doing so they began to sell more units overall. If sales fall off or market research shows that they would sell more overall units by providing overlays, then I could see them doing it.
As I said, with the inadequate keyboard, I personally wouldn't order one of these calculators. But if it had the ADDED FEATURE of being a multi-purpose calculator with overlays, then the utility of a multi-purpose
calculator, might begin to outweigh the expense and bad keyboard. So it IS POSSIBLE that adding this feature could increase sales. Dave's request for this feature should not be dismissed entirely as it might add
PERCEIVED VALUE to the overall design.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2015, 05:33 AM
For sure you're right if all your IFs and MIGHTs came true.

d:-)
04-23-2015, 04:30 PM
I now have V18 but I can't get SST & BST to work, neither in Programme nor Catalogue.

Does anyone else have this problem?
04-23-2015, 05:37 PM
I ordered one along with a case. However, I didn't order the firmware update cable. I thought I had read that it's just a standard USB to micro-USB cable, but now I can't seem to find that reference and today's email about a bug in the firmware has me worried.

Can any owner of one of the other models tell me if I will be OK with just a normal USB to micro-USB cable or should I contact Michael and get him to mail a cable to me?

Many thanks.
04-23-2015, 05:41 PM
(04-23-2015 05:37 PM)Sukiari Wrote:  Can any owner of one of the other models tell me if I will be OK with just a normal USB to micro-USB cable or should I contact Michael and get him to mail a cable to me?

It's a std Type-A to Mini-B cable, not micro.
04-23-2015, 06:21 PM
The idea of an HP-41C in the wallet... intriguing!

It made me pull the drawer of my desk and grab the crown of calculator evolution, a 28 year old 41-CX. What is so impressing about that machine? Well, it fits perfectly in the palm and is operated with great ease using only one hand. Every key stroke reminds the user that a better keyboard never has been built.

Now, what can a small emulator machine like the DM-41 do to come close to that feel? The landscape format doesn't help IMHO, neither does the suboptimal membrane keyboard. So the DM-41 may be the right gadget for a collector, but as a utility I probably pass on this one and try to get a good 42s instead.
04-23-2015, 06:39 PM
(04-23-2015 04:30 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  I now have V18 but I can't get SST & BST to work, neither in Programme nor Catalogue.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I've just updated mine to V18. However, I do not observe any problems with SST and BST. Maybe something went wrong with the firmware update? TRY AGAIN :-)
04-24-2015, 06:45 AM
Thanks Jurgen.

Have now reflashed & the key registers fine.
04-26-2015, 08:48 PM
I've just played around with my new DM-41 and I also took some pictures, see links below. It's really cute! As a credit card sized calculator it fits into my moneybag. However, the thickness is about 6mm, and that's a bit too much to keep it there (even if the moneybag got a little thinner after paying the bill). The keyboard is suboptimal but I have to admit that I'm quite spoiled from my real HP-41. The display is also a bit less crisp than the original. Anyway, I like it as it is the most portable HP-41 ever! Next things I'll try are synthetic programming (possible?) and data transfer using the serial console mode.

DM-41 Foto1
DM-41 Foto2
DM-41 Foto3
DM-41 Foto4
04-27-2015, 12:25 AM
Get out of here!

It's THAT small ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

OMG !!!!!!

2speed HP41CX,int2XMEM+ZEN, HPIL+DEVEL, HPIL+X/IO, I/R, 82143, 82163, 82162 -25,35,45,55,65,67,70,80
04-27-2015, 06:44 AM
(04-27-2015 12:25 AM)TASP Wrote:  Get out of here!

It's THAT small ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

OMG !!!!!!

Sure it is! :D

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Hi Jürgen

Thank you for these very nice pictures. I also have one, and I like it.

I miss a CCD ROM or CCD OS/X and an IL connector ;-)

Best regards
Tobie
04-27-2015, 06:34 PM
(04-27-2015 12:19 PM)charger73 Wrote:  I miss a CCD ROM or CCD OS/X and an IL connector ;-)

Hi Tobie,
it would indeed be great if some ROMs could be added. Perhaps there is still some unused space left on the device? Regarding HP-IL, I fear that it will remain just a dream.
04-27-2015, 07:21 PM
(04-27-2015 06:34 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  
(04-27-2015 12:19 PM)charger73 Wrote:  I miss a CCD ROM or CCD OS/X and an IL connector ;-)

Hi Tobie,
it would indeed be great if some ROMs could be added. Perhaps there is still some unused space left on the device? Regarding HP-IL, I fear that it will remain just a dream.

Michael wrote me: "At the moment it is not possible to load modules".
I hope the key is at the moment...

Also waiting for an upgrade of the nut en-decoder.

Greetings,
    Massimo

04-27-2015, 08:19 PM
(04-27-2015 06:34 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  
Regarding HP-IL, I fear that it will remain just a dream.

Not necessarily. What would be needed is a serial link on the DM-41, and an external serial-HPIL translator (aka PIL-Box) :-)

Wouldn't it be nice?

J-F
04-27-2015, 08:32 PM
(04-27-2015 08:19 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  
(04-27-2015 06:34 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  Regarding HP-IL, I fear that it will remain just a dream.
Not necessarily. What would be needed is a serial link on the DM-41, and an external serial-HPIL translator (aka PIL-Box) :-)

Wouldn't it be nice?

Nice? VERY NICE!
04-28-2015, 01:43 PM
Uncanny, just uncanny that this comes out after I post a thread about bootstrapping a landscape alphanumeric RPN calculator wherein I mention the option of emulating its hardware by remaking an existing machine with landscape hardware or an alphanumeric display. I wonder if Swiss Micros got this idea from reading it. Of course, my idea was more that we would base the hardware emulator of it on a calculator which isn't already alphanumeric or landscape, especially the former (basing it on one which is is sort of trivial because the work of implementing alphanumerics on it or laying out its keyboard is already done for us). Even so, it makes me feel valuable to the community to have my idea executed, albeit based on an alphanumeric calculator and with a hinky keyboard.
04-28-2015, 01:49 PM
(04-28-2015 01:43 PM)Joseph_21sv Wrote:  Uncanny, just uncanny that this comes out after I post a thread about bootstrapping a landscape alphanumeric RPN calculator wherein I mention the option of emulating its hardware by remaking an existing machine with landscape hardware or an alphanumeric display. I wonder if Swiss Micros got this idea from reading it. Of course, my idea was more that we would base the hardware emulator of it on a calculator which isn't already alphanumeric or landscape, especially the former (basing it on one which is is sort of trivial because the work of implementing alphanumerics on it or laying out its keyboard is already done for us). Even so, it makes me feel valuable to the community to have my idea executed, albeit based on an alphanumeric calculator and with a hinky keyboard.

Since you like repeating...

Ahem... cool down. Smile
They were experimenting on the 41C clone for some time.
This is only my last post on it.

Greetings,
    Massimo

04-28-2015, 01:55 PM
(04-28-2015 01:43 PM)Joseph_21sv Wrote:  Uncanny, just uncanny that this comes out after I post a thread about bootstrapping a landscape alphanumeric RPN calculator

Oh, and the worst thing in DM-41 is its landscape format...

Greetings,
    Massimo

04-28-2015, 01:56 PM
I think I may have a claim to priority since I started thinking of a replica 41C around 1990 but didn't get any further than deciding to call it a GH 41C.

Not really a strong claim, but I can claim concept priority.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)