f PAUSE HP25/HP29C
04-13-2015, 08:01 PM
f PAUSE HP25/HP29C
As anybody knows f PAUSE shows the X register for about a second while a program is running.

If you own both of the above calculators you might already have noticed since the beginning, that displaying the X register with f PAUSE within a program is handled slightly different. I never found a discussion about the difference in behaviour and I want to know what could be the reason.

The PAUSE instruction in the earlier model HP-25, which I was accustomed to first, can be interrupted by a short key-press with any key while the X register is displayed. The later model HP-29C does not respond to a short key-press, the program will not be interrupted, instead it needs a long key-hold-down until the pause ends to stop program execution.

I prefer the way the HP-25 reacts, I don't like the lazy response of the HP-29C but i'm not sure whether I'm prejudiced against it. Often I wanted to stop a HP-29C program by a short key-press and was annoyed when the program ignored my key and continued as if nothing had happened.

Does anybody know why HP made this change? Did they want to prevent unintended interruption? But a short key-press is never unintended. Is there any documentation? What is your preference? What is the behaviour of other calculators? Is it a bug?

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2015, 09:42 PM
RE: f PAUSE HP25/HP29C
Bernhard,

I just tried this with my HP-38C of the Spice series. A short press of any key interrupts just as with the HP-25.

Regards,
Bob
04-14-2015, 02:42 AM
(04-13-2015 08:01 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  The PAUSE instruction in the earlier model HP-25, which I was accustomed to first, can be interrupted by a short key-press with any key while the X register is displayed. The later model HP-29C does not respond to a short key-press, the program will not be interrupted, instead it needs a long key-hold-down until the pause ends to stop program execution.

Strange; the 19C is interrupted by a brief keystroke, like the 25. That's an unexpected difference between the 19C and 29C.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-14-2015, 06:59 PM
I'm just guessing, it may have nothing to do with this, but I wonder if some aspect (¿partially common code?) of the "data entry is allowed during programmed PAUSEs" feature, which is present on the HP 67/97 and HP41C (but not on other models, as far as I know) may be related to the behavior you describe. Just my 0.02$

Andrés C. Rodríguez (Argentina)

Please disregard idiomatic mistakes.
My posts are mostly from old memories, not from current research.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)