Thread Closed 
WP 34S Owner's Manual v3.3 (pdf!)
04-12-2015, 01:00 AM
RE: WP 34S Owner's Manual v3.3 (pdf!)
(04-11-2015 07:32 PM)BarryMead Wrote:  , the page was in german, and there were errors that I could not read,
It reads "Koffen Sie uppen das Geld sofort!"

German fluency not required.
Find all posts by this user
04-12-2015, 01:43 AM
(04-11-2015 10:37 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  If you really want to enter the decimal, I suspect that the form expects the separator for the German localization. Try entering "9,00" instead of "9.00".

Yep! That's it!
I live in Canada and was raised with both Metrik and English systems.
I got the same error with the dot, but understood the problem right away,
I then changed the decimal separator from dot to comma and PayPal accepted my donation the second time.
Sylvain
04-12-2015, 03:08 AM
(04-12-2015 01:00 AM)John Galt Wrote:  It reads "Koffen Sie uppen das Geld sofort!"

John, did you employ an automatic translation made locally? If true then Big Grin else please explain your joke (?) to me. TIA for enlightenment.

d:-?
04-12-2015, 03:17 AM
Ouch, I didn't think of that one else I would have explained above.

Having said that, it reminds me on p. 13 of the manual:
Quote: We will use decimal points in most parts of this manual (but you may set your WP 34S to commas as well, of course). Although that point is less visible than a comma, ‘comma people’ seem to be more tolerant against points used as radix marks than vice versa (based on the number of complaints read).
I'd say: confirmed.

d:-)
04-12-2015, 03:24 AM
Ich hab meine Deutsch gelernt von schlechter Amerikanischer TV.

Englisch, auch.
04-12-2015, 03:39 AM
(04-12-2015 03:08 AM)walter b Wrote:  
(04-12-2015 01:00 AM)John Galt Wrote:  It reads "Koffen Sie uppen das Geld sofort!"

John, did you employ an automatic translation made locally? If true then Big Grin else please explain your joke (?) to me. TIA for enlightenment.
(04-12-2015 03:24 AM)John Galt Wrote:  Ich hab meine Deutsch gelernt von schlechter Amerikanischer TV.

Englisch, auch.

Still don't understand what your sentence above should mean, sorry.

d:-?
04-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Can you, Walter, say how long it'll take for the manual to come?
04-12-2015, 11:04 AM
(04-11-2015 05:24 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Great !! I've fulfilled conditions 1 to 3 Wink

Manual received. Thanks Walter!
04-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Hello Walter,
I'm very pleased, thank you!
Thomas
04-12-2015, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2015 12:29 PM by Sanjeev Visvanatha.)
(04-12-2015 01:43 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 10:37 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  If you really want to enter the decimal, I suspect that the form expects the separator for the German localization. Try entering "9,00" instead of "9.00".

Yep! That's it!
I live in Canada and was raised with both Metrik and English systems.
I got the same error with the dot, but understood the problem right away,
I then changed the decimal separator from dot to comma and PayPal accepted my donation the second time.
Sylvain

I'm in Canada also, but made the transaction over my smartphone. I was directed to the mobile version of the PayPal payment page, and it was all in English, with no issues entering the amounts.

Thank you Walter for the prompt delivery of the manual!

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha
04-12-2015, 05:05 PM
As long as your mailbox is large enough: instantly. Smile Else it's difficult. Wink You've got mail.

04-12-2015, 07:17 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2015 07:18 PM by jebem.)
I have just now submitted my candidature to get a copy of the WP 34S Owner's Guide.

Let's see:
- I'm from the south, but I'm a good honest guy Smile ;
- I have the paperback manual;
- I have donated once when I converted my single HP-30B re-purposed calculator;
- I have bought the Eric's kb overlays;
- I skipped the Haralds interface boards, as I preferred to have fun and build my own cable as many others here (hope this will not disqualify me as a candidate to receive the PDF file) Smile ;
- And at last but not least, I have payed the 9USD using Paypal.

I apologize in advance for any offenses that others may see in my words (I'm not a native English speaker).
I'm just a fun guy for most of the times.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

04-12-2015, 07:30 PM
Boa tarde Jose, candidature accepted. Wink I'll try my very best to reach customer satisfaction.

04-12-2015, 09:05 PM
PDF format for WP 34S Owner's Manual v3.3 received in good shape.
Thank you so much for your excellent work, Walter!

I'm planning to copy it into a CD to be added to my paperback edition.
I hope this is alright and doesn't violate any copyrights.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

04-13-2015, 03:59 PM
OK here we go Herr Doktor Walter, finally found "the right thread":

The footnotes at the bottom of Page 9 are corrupted, and you misspelled my name on every page.

The copyright watermark could also be made less visually obtrusive, perhaps by using a color that does not clash with the background color. Does it really need to appear on each and every page?

Are you willing to correct those errors?
04-13-2015, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2015 04:41 PM by BarryMead.)
Thanks Walter. I really love my searchable PDF manual. I think having the watermark on each page is a small price to pay to have this excellent book in PDF form. There are overlapping footnotes on Page 9, and it was necessary to omit Appendix J, but other than these two small differences the manual is nearly an exact match for the printed book. I for one want to express my appreciation for your hard work and contributions to the Open Source Calculator Community.

Sincerely, Barry
04-13-2015, 05:34 PM
(04-13-2015 03:59 PM)John Galt Wrote:  The footnotes at the bottom of Page 9 are corrupted, ...

That's an error MS Word produces every once in a while. The effect is next to nothing since footnotes 1 and 2 are the only ones called on p. 9 and are perfectly readable there, while footnotes 3ff are called on later pages and are perfectly readable there. I admit it's not good looking at the bottom of p. 9 but that's it - you don't lose a single bit of information; thus I won't repair that if that's the only error.

Quote:... and you misspelled my name on every page.

I'd like to correct that but can't find a file I sent to you. I can't even find an email of you. Please send it to me once again.

Quote: The copyright watermark could also be made less visually obtrusive, perhaps by using a color that does not clash with the background color. Does it really need to appear on each and every page?

Yes it does.

Quote:Are you willing to correct those errors?

As stated above.

04-14-2015, 07:18 AM
But where is John?
He isn't here no more.
Looks like I've won -
He is not on my score.

d;-)

P.S.: Nice try but ...
04-14-2015, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2015 12:49 AM by d b.)
(04-14-2015 07:18 AM)walter b Wrote:  But where is John?
He isn't here no more.
Looks like I've won -
He is not on my score.

d;-)

P.S.: Nice try but ...

Excuse me sir?

I did not find the time to return to this site yesterday. It was the usual Monday in the United States and I found myself quite busy. I intended to reply as you requested, but given this completely uncalled for response I have reconsidered.

"Nice try"? What is that supposed to mean? That I am attempting to deceive you?

It is you who has deceived me. I was not aware of any competition among ourselves, but if it was your goal to have deceived me into purchasing a product, sight unseen, that contained a garish combination of background colors and watermark that are visually objectionable to me, plus inattention to detail that apparently disregarded objectionable and corrupted footnotes, plus a completely unnecessary misspelling of the name of the person who purchased your product (have you heard of copy and paste?) and that you have no desire to correct those errors, then yes, you have "won" and I am defeated. You have my money and I have no recourse.

I was hoping that the opinion of others on this forum, specifically that you are a jerk, was wrong. I am also defeated in that my opinion of you had been, up to this point, different. As it turns out they are correct, and you really are world-class. Count another "win" for yourself.

If you have any integrity whatsoever, you will refund my $9 US via PayPal. In exchange I will certify that I have destroyed all copies of your document and will retain none.

Given your egregious behavior on this forum I doubt you will comply. Prove me wrong. Then, your "victories" over me will be complete.
04-14-2015, 02:54 PM
(04-14-2015 12:51 PM)John Galt Wrote:  If you have any integrity whatsoever, you will refund my $9 US via PayPal.

John, the donation goes to the team. So you are eligible for no more then a $3 refund. Exactly Walter's share. Wink

But be honest: Aren't you both a bit overreacting here? I share the complaints about the watermark and a misspelled name isn't very polite. Walter insists on the watermark but has offered a correction for the name. He just needs but needs some input to do it right. It should be possible to settle the case with a minimum of noise.

Walter: Not everybody is reading the forum every day. A bit of patience seems appropriate.

Just my €0,02.

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)