Building nonpareil on Ubuntu
04-02-2015, 11:29 PM
Building nonpareil on Ubuntu
With everything installed as detailed in the INSTALL and README files, I get this when I run "scons":

Code:

scons: Reading SConscript files ...

scons: warning: The Options class is deprecated; use the Variables class instead.
File "/home/geir/Dropbox/Dl/tmp/nonpareil-0.79/SConstruct", line 30, in <module>

scons: warning: The EnumOption() function is deprecated; use the EnumVariable() function instead.
File "/home/geir/Dropbox/Dl/tmp/nonpareil-0.79/SConstruct", line 36, in <module>

scons: warning: The PathOption() function is deprecated; use the PathVariable() function instead.
File "/home/geir/Dropbox/Dl/tmp/nonpareil-0.79/SConstruct", line 46, in <module>

scons: warning: The BoolOption() function is deprecated; use the BoolVariable() function instead.
File "/home/geir/Dropbox/Dl/tmp/nonpareil-0.79/SConstruct", line 64, in <module>

scons: warning: The env.Copy() method is deprecated; use the env.Clone() method instead.
File "/home/geir/Dropbox/Dl/tmp/nonpareil-0.79/SConstruct", line 238, in <module>

scons: warning: The build_dir keyword has been deprecated; use the variant_dir keyword instead.
File "/home/geir/Dropbox/Dl/tmp/nonpareil-0.79/SConstruct", line 244, in <module>
/bin/sh: 1: sdl-config: not found
OSError: 'sdl-config --cflags --libs' exited 127:
  File "/home/geir/Dropbox/Dl/tmp/nonpareil-0.79/SConstruct", line 244:
    'native_env' : env})
  File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Script/SConscript.py", line 609:
    return method(*args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Script/SConscript.py", line 546:
    return _SConscript(self.fs, *files, **subst_kw)
  File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Script/SConscript.py", line 260:
    exec _file_ in call_stack[-1].globals
  File "/home/geir/Dropbox/Dl/tmp/nonpareil-0.79/src/SConscript", line 285:
    nonpareil_env.ParseConfig (sdl_pkg_config_cmd)
  File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Environment.py", line 1555:
    return function(self, self.backtick(command))
  File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Environment.py", line 597:
    raise OSError("'%s' exited %d" % (command, status))

Any takers? Are there any deb-packages available?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2015, 12:28 AM
RE: Building nonpareil on Ubuntu
(04-02-2015 11:29 PM)Geir Isene Wrote:  Any takers? Are there any deb-packages available?

It appears you are using a installed scons which just might be too new. So you might want to try scons-local.

From INSTALL:
Quote:Building Nonpareil:

If you have SCons installed on your system, and are satisfied with the
default configuration options, building Nonpareil is as simple as
giving the command

% scons

If you do not wish to install scons, unpack the supplied scons-local tarball
with this command:

% (cd scons-local; tar -xzf scons-local-0.96.90.tar.gz)

Using scons-local simply requires substituting "scons-local/scons.py"
whereever these instructions call for the use of scons.

HTH
Thomas
04-03-2015, 06:42 AM
(04-02-2015 11:29 PM)Geir Isene Wrote:  Any takers? Are there any deb-packages available?

When you have succeeded building "nonpareil" and you are interested to add an HP-29C emulator, you can contact me for patches.

god påske
Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
04-03-2015, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2015 02:10 PM by Geir Isene.)
Going with the scons-local option, I get this:

Code:

geir@Ikalio: ~/Dl/tmp/nonpareil-0.79/ scons-local/scons.py            
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
  File "/home/geir/Dropbox/Dl/tmp/nonpareil-0.79/scons-local/scons-local-0.96.90/SCons/Tool/gas.py", line 36

import as

^

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Anyone got a functioning binary they could post?
04-03-2015, 08:40 PM
I just built it successfully on Ubuntu 14.04 with the system's scons ('sudo apt-get install scons'). The warnings can be safely ignored.

The error that's stopping the build for you is that there's no SDL development packages installed- try running 'sudo apt-get install libsdl-dev' to correct. You may need to install other packages also to complete the build- perhaps 'gnome-devel'? That will install a large number of development packages, so it may be overkill, but try it if the build still fails for you.

Good luck!

Dave Marsh
04-03-2015, 10:48 PM
(04-03-2015 08:40 PM)dmarsh Wrote:  I just built it successfully on Ubuntu 14.04 with the system's scons ('sudo apt-get install scons'). The warnings can be safely ignored.

The error that's stopping the build for you is that there's no SDL development packages installed- try running 'sudo apt-get install libsdl-dev' to correct. You may need to install other packages also to complete the build- perhaps 'gnome-devel'? That will install a large number of development packages, so it may be overkill, but try it if the build still fails for you.

Good luck!

Dave Marsh

Excellent! Solved it (apt-get install libsdl-dev).

Where do we host the howto on this?
04-03-2015, 10:56 PM
(04-03-2015 06:42 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  

When you have succeeded building "nonpareil" and you are interested to add an HP-29C emulator, you can contact me for patches.

god påske
Bernhard

Yes please - the HP-29C :-)
03-31-2017, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2017 04:29 PM by pbnelson.)
Update, this is still working as of March 2017, on Linux Mint 18.1 (based on Ubuntu 16.04).

I downloaded and un-tarred nonpareil version 0.79 from http://nonpareil.brouhaha.com/download/

I did have to install libsdl using sudo apt-get install libsdl-dev

At that point, even though scons install gave quite a few warning messages, it apparently worked okay. nonpareil seems fine.

I checked versions of all the recommended packages and most of them are far ahead of what's recommended in the INSTALL text file. Nevertheless, success, as you can see:

[Image: NZc9Sj.jpg]

FOLLOW UP:

1. This build also works for Nonpareil version 0.78 which is preferred as it still includes the Voyager series (HP-12C, 16C, etc.). I found it on github.

2. I built this on a fresh Linux-Mint 18.1 installation. I had to install quite a few more packages that for whatever reason my older system already had. Here is the full list of what I needed to install to make a working build: sudo apt install scons libsdl-dev libxml2-dev libgtk2.0-dev && sudo scons install # approx 133MB

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)