Trouble with mac
03-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Trouble with mac
Hi everyone
When I connect my hp to my MacBook, this one doesn't read it. Do you have any ideas to fix this problem?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2015, 04:04 PM
RE: Trouble with mac
Not a problem with your Mac, the problem is that HP Prime is designed to be used with HP's Connectivity kit, and it only runs in a PC operating system.

You have three options:
1) you Mac can boot-up and run Windows, but this will require that you install WinXP or Win7 (use 'Boot-camp' to run either Win or MacOS)
2) your Mac can run Parallels and it will support running WinXP or Win7 in the MacOS
3) there are links on this site to information about an adaptation of the Connectivity Kit to allow it to run in MacOS or Linux (this is based on Wine, I believe)

An alternative if you have an old PC lying around (or buy one cheap) would be to run the PC "headless" and control it from the Mac with Remote Access or VNC. This is probably the cheapest and easiest to implement if you have a network and some spare time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-16-2015, 06:13 PM
I already have the connectivity kit for mac. The thing is that when I connect it to my computer it doesn't show up in finder.
03-17-2015, 02:17 PM
(03-16-2015 06:13 PM)Bea2306 Wrote:  I already have the connectivity kit for mac. The thing is that when I connect it to my computer it doesn't show up in finder.

There is no connectivity kit for mac. You need elemental problem solving abilities to use this kind of device.

My website: erwin.ried.cl
03-19-2015, 12:05 PM
Bea, I don't have a Prime but I do have Macs. The only solution that is likely to work for you would be to install VirtualBox and Linux.

It's not that difficult, and they're both free. I can post some cursory instructions if you like. Let me know.
03-19-2015, 04:34 PM
This is a general response to the question of how to use the HP Prime on a Mac. (note my prior post in this thread, I have Mac and PC and use the Prime)

Assumptions:
1) You don't want to buy a PC just to run the connectivity kit
2) You want to be able to access the HP Prime within the Mac OS environment
3) You are using an Intel-based Mac (not an old PowerPC version)

Case 1: Money is not a problem
Buy Parallels software for the Mac ($80) and install WinXP or Win7 ($50) from a legal source (e.g. software from an old PC, eBay, etc.) and run the Connectivity Kit as well as other PC software. This runs PC software "native" on the Intel processor, so if it runs on a PC, it will run in Parallels.

Case 2: You have more time than money and you are clever with computers and installing software
Implement a user-created (hack) solution such as suggested on this thread. This will "emulate" a PC environment for the Connectivity Kit that might work for you. Don't count on a clean interface to Mac features like drag-n-drop or even hardware ports. The fun part of this will be learning about software and sharing issues on forums.

Case 3: You just want to use the Connectivity Kit because the HP Prime is part of your job (e.g. a teacher)
Use "Boot-Camp" on the Mac to install Win7 in a partition (you create this) on your hard disk. Then you boot into Win7 and your Mac becomes a PC with all that implies.

The real problem is that HP makes PC's and is using the Prime to bolster its education-based PC sales and doesn't care that much what computer students might want to use. So Mac support is unlikely, despite that there is nothing inherently PC-centric about the CK software.

The Prime is a fantastic tool for education as well as on the job and the people who create and support it are superb. It is too bad that 'corporate' doesn't share those qualities.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)