OS structure of HP 40g
03-10-2015, 11:31 PM
OS structure of HP 40g
Hello calcmaniacs,

does somebody knows wether the operating system of the hp 40g is like the hp 50g based on a saturn layer which runs on the arm architecture or the os runs directly on the the arm processor?

Thanks in advance...
peacecalc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2015, 03:20 AM
RE: OS structure of HP 40g
(03-10-2015 11:31 PM)peacecalc Wrote:  Hello calcmaniacs,

does somebody knows wether the operating system of the hp 40g is like the hp 50g based on a saturn layer which runs on the arm architecture or the os runs directly on the the arm processor?

Thanks in advance...
peacecalc.

The Wikipedia states that the 40g hardware is identical to the 39g (CPU: 4 MHz Yorke (Saturn core))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_39/40_series#40G

I don't have any of the 39/40 series, so can't confirm.

Mark
03-11-2015, 07:40 PM
Thank you Mark,

and what a shame on me. Ask only the wikipedia... and voila!

The 39g and 40g are working with a saturn processor (4 MHz)

But I've learned too: 39gs and 40gs work with an arm processor (75 MHz), but both calcs suffers on the same illness like the 50g, the operating system emulates a saturn architecture. The CAS system on the 40gs and 50g should run with the same speed, because the 50g arm processor runs with 75 MHz too (I know, one can increase the clock cycle up to 203 MHz with a small SysRPL program (but such kind of doping is not interesting for me)).

Unfortunaly I don't owe a hp 40gs: For the same programming task, which one is faster hp basic (on 40gs) or UserRPL (on 50g)...
... I suppose somebody has tried this already (years ago)...
03-12-2015, 08:18 PM
(03-11-2015 07:40 PM)peacecalc Wrote:  But I've learned too: 39gs and 40gs work with an arm processor (75 MHz), but both calcs suffers on the same illness like the 50g, the operating system emulates a saturn architecture.

I wouldn't consider the instance of software reuse to be an "illness" - more like an opportunity to reduce development time and cost quite significantly as opposed to redesigning from scratch. It wasn't broke, so they didn't "fix" it. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Jake
03-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Hello Jake,

Quote:Jake wrote:

I wouldn't consider the instance of software reuse to be an "illness" - more like an opportunity to reduce development time and cost quite significantly as opposed to redesigning from scratch.

The motivation for HP for acting in that way is and was clear. But my point of view is that of an user. Emulating always means driving with brakes. I know about the incredible possibilities of the 50g in programming that machine, the 40gs hasn't this possibilities.

I don't want to offend somebody. The "illness" means only a very special personal (my one) rating and nothing else.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)