Mantain units menu on screen
03-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Mantain units menu on screen
Hi to all, I'm new to this forum.

I've just buy an HP prime, and I came from a HP50.
I use a lot unit conversions, but in HP prime it's a bit more annoying than in HP50.
When I want to introduce a value with units, i.e. 9m, I press

9 [Units]->Length->m

When I insert m (or whatever other unit) the menu disappears, and I must to reopen it if I want to introduce another unit value.
So, if I want to convert meters to yards, I must open the menu three times (one for first value, one for second value and one for invoking the convert command). The same thing if I want to add two values and so on.
I have the same behavior for both RPN mode (that I use) and algebraic mode.
Is there a way to maintain the Units menu open until I want to disable it in an explicit way?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2015, 01:35 PM
RE: Mantain units menu on screen
Quote:Is there a way to maintain the Units menu open until I want to disable it in an explicit way?
Is there a way to maintain some menu open until I want to disable it in an explicit way?
I miss that occationally, too (Last time when I played with user menus and integer conversion instead of unit conversion).
However everything that has on-screen menus involved are difficult to be permanently opened. They block the view.

HP, maybe a rework on softkey menus and user menus could be really worth thinking of?
03-04-2015, 01:37 PM
(03-04-2015 12:56 PM)jepessen Wrote:  Hi to all, I'm new to this forum.

I've just buy an HP prime, and I came from a HP50.
I use a lot unit conversions, but in HP prime it's a bit more annoying than in HP50.
When I want to introduce a value with units, i.e. 9m, I press

9 [Units]->Length->m

When I insert m (or whatever other unit) the menu disappears, and I must to reopen it if I want to introduce another unit value.
So, if I want to convert meters to yards, I must open the menu three times (one for first value, one for second value and one for invoking the convert command). The same thing if I want to add two values and so on.
I have the same behavior for both RPN mode (that I use) and algebraic mode.
Is there a way to maintain the Units menu open until I want to disable it in an explicit way?

This has been discussed here several times, including quite recently. Read the older threads and you will find several shortcuts as well as some simple programs and key assignments which make it much easier to use.

--Bob Prosperi
03-05-2015, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 11:59 AM by salvomic.)
(03-04-2015 01:37 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  This has been discussed here several times, including quite recently. Read the older threads and you will find several shortcuts as well as some simple programs and key assignments which make it much easier to use.

i.e. in this thread...

However I wonder what's the error "Unmatch control word"...
For example with MKSA example: MKSA(_([32_yd])) I get (in CAS) this error; in Home the result is 29.2608_m...

I'm sure Tim will eliminate this error in the next FW upgrade Smile
also for E in constants with CAS: h -> 1.054...E-34 in CAS give error, and we give change the E with e (EEX)...

Little issues that sure will be soon removed...

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2015, 02:29 PM
(03-05-2015 11:59 AM)salvomic Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 01:37 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  This has been discussed here several times, including quite recently. Read the older threads and you will find several shortcuts as well as some simple programs and key assignments which make it much easier to use.

i.e. in this thread...

However I wonder what's the error "Unmatch control word"...
For example with MKSA example: MKSA(_([32_yd])) I get (in CAS) this error; in Home the result is 29.2608_m...

I'm sure Tim will eliminate this error in the next FW upgrade Smile
also for E in constants with CAS: h -> 1.054...E-34 in CAS give error, and we give change the E with e (EEX)...

Little issues that sure will be soon removed...

If you were converting from inches in CAS, it could be that using the units "in" causes trouble since "in" is a reserved word, and that error refers to unmatched use of reserved words. I don't recall where, but Tim has commented on this issue in the past.

--Bob Prosperi
03-05-2015, 03:05 PM
(03-05-2015 02:29 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  If you were converting from inches in CAS, it could be that using the units "in" causes trouble since "in" is a reserved word, and that error refers to unmatched use of reserved words. I don't recall where, but Tim has commented on this issue in the past.

yes, Tim commented on this "in" issue in the link I reported above.
In CAS the problem of which I spoke are also with other units, however.
By the way, treating with units and conversion maybe it's more suited to use Home.

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2015, 04:53 PM
(03-05-2015 03:05 PM)salvomic Wrote:  By the way, treating with units and conversion maybe it's more suited to use Home.

I agree. Symbolic or exact results are unlikely necessary when working with units. Fortunately. However some (actual) genius will come by here and point out a situation where this is actually useful. It happens every time we generalize.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)