HP Prime approved for exam use in The Netherlands
03-03-2015, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2015 11:55 AM by KlaasKuperus.)
HP Prime approved for exam use in The Netherlands
To many of you, The Netherlands is that very small country where all they do is smoke pot and eat cheese (Wink) but for us involved in the Dutch education and sales of HP calculators, this is a huge deal: HP Prime has officially been approved for exam use starting the 2017 exams! I'm proud to say our lobbying with the Ministry of Education resulted in the first ever CAS-calculator approved for exams, mainly due to the Prime's extensive exam-mode options.

The news was out for some time, but has recently been officially communicated on their website: https://www.examenblad.nl/nieuws/2015021...tblik/2017

We've launched a teacher-campaign through our Prime Portal at http://www.hp-prime.com and have already received first confirmations from schools that will change to Prime. Let's hope this will have an effect on surrounding countries too!

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Examenblad 2017-2018 Prime.pdf (Size: 92.5 KB / Downloads: 22)

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2015, 08:23 PM
RE: HP Prime approved for exam use in The Netherlands
Hi Klaas

you say: "the first ever CAS-calculator approved for exams", but the paper clearly states that the CAS functionality has to be blocked during exams!

So there will be not much of a profit from the Prime.
03-05-2015, 08:30 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 08:32 PM by Tim Wessman.)
Well, also Prime was just approved for the Alberta Education‘s Mathematics and Science Diploma Examinations.

I think with that Prime is now the most accepted graphing calculator (for education exam use) HP has ever produced. Even if you aren't excited about things like the exam mode in Prime or the calculator itself, the more calculators we sell means it is that much more likely to be able to make something you DO care about. :-)

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
03-06-2015, 06:11 AM
Once CAS calculators are approved with CAS blocked during exam, it becomes easier to change the rules and allow CAS calculators without blocking the CAS because students do not have to buy another calculator. This is also sadly true in the other direction...
03-06-2015, 07:37 AM
(03-05-2015 08:23 PM)René Franquinet Wrote:  Hi Klaas

you say: "the first ever CAS-calculator approved for exams", but the paper clearly states that the CAS functionality has to be blocked during exams!

So there will be not much of a profit from the Prime.

Hi René,

Not entirely true. The Prime, as we know, does offer a lot of benefits in comparison to other calculators! I was referring to the fact that before this, CAS was generally something that would block the discussions before even starting them.

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com
03-06-2015, 11:17 AM
(03-05-2015 08:30 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Well, also Prime was just approved for the Alberta Education‘s Mathematics and Science Diploma Examinations.

I think with that Prime is now the most accepted graphing calculator (for education exam use) HP has ever produced. Even if you aren't excited about things like the exam mode in Prime or the calculator itself, the more calculators we sell means it is that much more likely to be able to make something you DO care about. :-)

You mean buy Primes & we'll make something else? That's the incentive to stuff your cupboard with Primes?

My students get calculators that can reliably solve problems. There's a question wandering around the forum that my 15-year-olds have to solve: they look up the theory on the Internet & implement the algorithm on the calculator, piece of cake. Impossible on the Prime.
03-06-2015, 12:23 PM
(03-06-2015 11:17 AM)Gerald H Wrote:  My students get calculators that can reliably solve problems.

There's a question wandering around the forum that my 15-year-olds have to solve: they look up the theory on the Internet & implement the algorithm on the calculator, piece of cake.

Impossible on the Prime.

Left wandering around the forum are the details.

Consider this possible solution:

1. Clearly impossible on the Prime.
2. Addresses difficulties with questions unresolved in the forum.
3. Used within device tolerance, calculators, including the Prime, reliably solve problems.

Get non-cake-eating, 15-year old, students.
03-06-2015, 12:33 PM
(03-06-2015 12:23 PM)DrD Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 11:17 AM)Gerald H Wrote:  My students get calculators that can reliably solve problems.

There's a question wandering around the forum that my 15-year-olds have to solve: they look up the theory on the Internet & implement the algorithm on the calculator, piece of cake.

Impossible on the Prime.

Left wandering around the forum are the details.

Consider this possible solution:

3. Used within device tolerance, calculators, including the Prime, reliably solve problems.

My emphasis above.

Why impossible? Just because you & me don't know how to operate the calculator correctly?

Please give details concerning "impossibility" of finding solution.
03-06-2015, 02:31 PM
(03-06-2015 12:33 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  Consider this possible solution:

My emphasis above.

Why impossible? Just because you & me don't know how to operate the calculator correctly?

Please give details concerning "impossibility" of finding solution.

Hypothesis: 'Impossible' (to create non-cake-eating, 15 year old students), on the hp Prime.

Minimal evidence: The hp Prime user guide does not suggest a genomic algorithm exists. Many 15-year old students are driven by hormones and environmental fads, with cake providing a means to that end, especially in social settings.

Postulate: Your students are 15 year olds, (given), they have calculators, (given), unresolved problems exist in the forum, (given) , your 15-year old students cannot resolve unresolved problems in the forum, (given). A calculator can resolve problems. The hp Prime is a calculator. The hp Prime can resolve problems.

Conclusion: Some will innovate, some will just eat cake.

HFlag:=NOT(off); // humor flag, insert Serenity Prayer here ...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)