An old member returns...
02-14-2015, 10:08 PM
An old member returns...
Just noticed this in the Board Statitics area:

"Please Welcome our newest member, Valentin Albillo"

So welcome back Valentin, your absence here has been strongly noted. We hope you're back for more than a short visit.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2015, 10:29 PM
RE: An old member returns...
(02-14-2015 10:08 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Just noticed this in the Board Statitics area:

"Please Welcome our newest member, Valentin Albillo"

So welcome back Valentin, your absence here has been strongly noted. We hope you're back for more than a short visit.

+1

Welcome back, Valentin!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-14-2015, 10:33 PM
Of course he should come back on February 14th... ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

02-15-2015, 09:06 AM
Welcome back from me, too!
02-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Ah, but how do we know it is the "real" Valentin Albillo and not wob2?

If he concocts a one-line challenge, then we will know.

Welcome back old friend.
02-15-2015, 01:18 PM
(02-15-2015 12:56 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  If he concocts a one-line challenge, then we will know.

The date of registration would be perfect for a follow-up article of: Valentine's Day Mini-Challenges !

Cheers
Thomas
02-15-2015, 02:07 PM
¿Donde está Valentín? - Where is V. ?
02-15-2015, 03:43 PM
(02-15-2015 12:56 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Ah, but how do we know it is the "real" Valentin Albillo and not wob2?

If he concocts a one-line challenge, then we will know.

Welcome back old friend.

I wondered about this before posting, but concluded it's unlikely someone trying to not be seen/caught is unlikely to adopt such a well-known and respected persona. Let's hope not, that would be disappointing.

--Bob Prosperi
02-19-2015, 10:58 PM
Hi all:

Thanks for your warm reception, I think it will be better if I reply to all of you in this one post instead of clogging the thread with multiple ones. Let's see:

Quote:@rprosperi

Thank you very much for your kind post, Bob, I'm pretty busy as always but I intend to participate as my allocated free time allows so this won't be a short visit.

Quote:@Massimo Gnerucci
+1
Welcome back, Valentin!
Greetings,
Of course he should come back on February 14th... Wink
    Massimo

Thanks for your appreciation and warm welcome, Massimo. And yes, it's no coincidence that I chose February 14th for registering. Historically I've always been very fond of my namesake Valentine's Day and even concocted a number of quite successful "minichallenges" and such to commemorate the day.

Quote:@Geir Isene
+10^10

Wow ! A 10^10 million thanks, Geir, that's quite a red-hot welcome indeed !

Quote:@Thomas Radtke
Welcome back from me, too!

Thanks a lot, Thomas, your warm welcome is duly appreciated.

Quote:@Don Shepherd Offline
Ah, but how do we know it is the "real" Valentin Albillo and not wob2?

Such skepticism !
AFAIK, there's no other "Valentín Albillo" in the whole world but me, as the name-surname combination is quite unusual (unique, it seems).
And BTW, Don, who or what is "wob2" ?

Quote:If he concocts a one-line challenge, then we will know.
Welcome back old friend.

How about this one:

Write a one-line program that will output the solution to this micro-challenge I've concocted right now (thus no use searching the net) for the occasion:

If 9x9=29, what's the square root of 69 ?

Your one-line program must be as short as possible (least number of characters), must do the required calculations (not simply print the answer right away) and must output the shortest possible answer, one byte is better than eight and one nibble is better than one byte.

I'll produce an HP-71B solution after interested people give it a try. Of course I know it will be solved at once but I hope this will do to dispel concerns about my identity and prove that I'm the real VA ... and speaking of the devil, if VA is square, what's the square root of me ?

Quote:@Thomas Klemm
The date of registration would be perfect for a follow-up article of: Valentine's Day Mini-Challenges !

Indeed. These matters will be the subject of future posts.

Quote:@Ángel Martin
¿Donde está Valentín? - Where is V. ?

Hi, Ángel. Er, well, I'm here, at my usual address, as always. Nice to see you're in this new forum, too, and as busy as ever judging for your posts.

Quote:@rprosperi
I wondered about this before posting, but concluded it's unlikely someone trying to not be seen/caught is unlikely to adopt such a well-known and respected persona. Let's hope not, that would be disappointing.

No sweat, I'm the real McCoy, as they say. And thanks again for your extremely kind words, much appreciated.

That's all, best regards to all of you.
VA.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

02-19-2015, 11:18 PM
Glad to see that you are the real McCoy! :)
Welcome back once more.

Interesting days ahead...

Greetings,
    Massimo

02-20-2015, 01:57 AM
Valentin, a forum member was recently banned from making posts on the forum for a few days, and a new account suddenly appeared named "wob" that, it was speculated,
might have been created by this person to get around the temporary ban.

Glad to see you back and I am looking forward to the infamous Albillo challenges.
02-20-2015, 02:34 AM
(02-19-2015 10:58 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  Write a one-line program that will output the solution to this micro-challenge I've concocted right now (thus no use searching the net) for the occasion:

If 9x9=29, what's the square root of 69 ?

Your one-line program must be as short as possible (least number of characters), must do the required calculations (not simply print the answer right away) and must output the shortest possible answer, one byte is better than eight and one nibble is better than one byte.

Hello Valentín,

First of all, welcome back!

1 CHR$(SQRT((9*9-9)/2*6+9)+55) ENDLINE will produce a one-line HP-71B program which upon run will give a one-character answer. Not sure wheter this will count as a valid solution to your micro-challenge though.

Best regards,

Gerson.
02-20-2015, 02:57 AM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2015 04:30 PM by Gerson W. Barbosa.)
(02-19-2015 10:58 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  and speaking of the devil, if VA is square, what's the square root of me ?

W

I'd skipped that part, sorry!

Best regards,

Gerson.

P.S.: I've made a great mistake, one order of magnitude! – I used 1 instead of 10 thus getting 32 when I should have gotten 45. I don't have a one-nibble symbol for this though. My bad :-(
02-20-2015, 06:14 AM
I really enjoyed all your "Long Live the HP-....." Articles. They help put me into the excitement of the times these great machines were first introduced!

Regards,
Bob Shoring
San Francisco
02-20-2015, 06:56 AM
Welcome back!

When's the long live the 34S article going to appear??????

- Pauli
02-20-2015, 12:55 PM
(02-20-2015 06:56 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  When's the long live the 34S article going to appear??????

if the trend is any indication then it'll have to be *after* it is discontinued ;-)
02-20-2015, 02:51 PM
(02-20-2015 02:57 AM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  I'd skipped that part, sorry!
Wasn't needed anyway. The signature already told the story ... if you know V. and a little physics.
02-20-2015, 08:24 PM
(02-20-2015 02:51 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  The signature already told the story ... if you know V. and a little physics.

Hmmh - VA equals W; I've never heard of the square root of VA equaling anything reasonable. What am I missing?

d:-?
02-20-2015, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2015 09:41 PM by Gerson W. Barbosa.)
(02-20-2015 08:24 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(02-20-2015 02:51 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  The signature already told the story ... if you know V. and a little physics.

Hmmh - VA equals W; I've never heard of the square root of VA equaling anything reasonable. What am I missing?

d:-?

Actually VA equals W only when var equals zero [ VA = sqrt(W^2 + var^2) ]. This has nothing to do with VA's little riddle though. The square root of VA might be W for a quite different reason, if I got him right. Also, VA as we know him is a real entity, not an apparent one. :-)

P.S.: I thought you were referring to another kind of VA. Yes, your VA does equal W. Sorry!
02-22-2015, 11:47 AM

(02-20-2015 09:27 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Actually VA equals W only when var equals zero [ VA = sqrt(W^2 + var^2) ]. This has nothing to do with VA's little riddle though. The square root of VA might be W for a quite different reason, if I got him right. Also, VA as we know him is a real entity, not an apparent one. :-)
P.S.: I thought you were referring to another kind of VA. Yes, your VA does equal W. Sorry!

As an electric engineer and knowing Valentin, I can only share your point :-)

In one of his famous S&SMC , Valentin asked to find a solution on the HP-71B to the equation:
Abs(Ln(x*x)-Ln(x^2)) > 4.012007 (BTW, I found a solution ...)
In the same way, is it possible to have square of VA significantly different from the product of VA by VA?

Let's take all this with humour... :-)

J-F

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)