01-14-2015, 02:44 AM
3D Printed Calculator
http://3dprint.com/36474/3d-printed-calc...librecalc/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2015, 05:06 AM
RE: 3D Printed Calculator
Very interesting...
I particularly like how they mount surface mount parts (even a BGA!) on the PCB using a frying pan on the kitchen stove. And here I am like a sap using PCB assembly houses all these yearsSmile
http://www.librecalc.com/blog/souder-un-...-materiel/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-14-2015, 05:44 AM
(01-14-2015 05:06 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  I particularly like how they mount surface mount parts (even a BGA!) on the PCB using a frying pan on the kitchen stove.

Yes, a Ball Grid Array (BGA) package would be quite a trick, but that's a Quad Flat Pack (QFP) which isn't so tricky. Still, it's pretty cool. A heat gun, or an industrial hair dryer, in keeping with the housewares theme, would help.

(01-14-2015 05:06 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  And here I am like a sap using PCB assembly houses all these yearsSmile

If we go back to etching boards in the kitchen sink then everything can be done in-house. Smile
01-14-2015, 08:49 AM
(01-14-2015 05:44 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(01-14-2015 05:06 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  I particularly like how they mount surface mount parts (even a BGA!) on the PCB using a frying pan on the kitchen stove.

Yes, a Ball Grid Array (BGA) package would be quite a trick, but that's a Quad Flat Pack (QFP) which isn't so tricky. Still, it's pretty cool.

Although the video shows them using this technique on a QFP, in the article they mention using the same method to mount a BGA on the newest version of their board. That is pretty crazy.
http://www.librecalc.com/en/blog/third-b...p-booting/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-14-2015, 07:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2015 07:54 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
When he can flip it like a pancake, for those double-sided boards, I'll be really impressed. Smile

Then we can spin off cooking shows, like Chopped, but instead of food ingredients the contestants pull electrical components out of the basket. The cooking ovens become reflow ovens. Fun watching for the whole family.
01-14-2015, 07:56 PM
(01-14-2015 07:48 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  When he can flip it like a pancake, for those double-sided boards, I'll be really impressed. Smile

Then we can spin off cooking shows, like Chopped, but instead of food ingredients the contestants pull electrical components out of the basket. The cooking ovens become reflow ovens. Fun watching for the whole family.

That's why I found a QFP in my stack of pancakes at IHOP last Sunday. I thought it was a spider.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
01-14-2015, 08:01 PM
Obviously a dead bug component.
01-14-2015, 10:49 PM
(01-14-2015 08:01 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Obviously a dead bug component.

Crap. Now I've got Dave Jones and his Australian accent stuck in my head repeating this over and over.

Actually, the concept of applying SM components using a frying pan would be a good one to suggest for his EEVblog. I can hear the profanity now.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)