Adding new row in 2D matrix template
12-31-2013, 01:40 AM
Adding new row in 2D matrix template
So I just discovered something of which I was unaware while looking through the code.

When entering a matrix/vector, you have the little ± symbols to indicate that pressing + or - will insert or remove a row/column. However, I was not aware that pressing * will insert a new row/column *ABOVE* or *LEFT* respectively.

I remember someone asking about how to add an empty row above the first one and I didn't think that was possible. Turns out I was wrong. :-)

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2013, 02:46 AM
RE: Adding new row in 2D matrix template
That is great news and greatly improves the process. Now, if I could just figure out how to do this with a Spreadsheet w/o a bunch of cutting and pasting. Wink
12-31-2013, 05:24 AM
Reading this forum, it's easy to get the feeling that the Prime is less than completely understood and less than completely documented; even by it's developers.

It's great that you figured this out but it's illustrative of the status of the Prime as a whole.

I considered sending mine back because of the "RPN" mode implementation being inconsistent with past HP's, the pdf-only manual, and the hard to read keys... but the function graphing is to cool and useful. I'll probably keep it but just not look at it as a work calculator.
12-31-2013, 07:25 AM
Good to know!

Yes, the Prime could use some better documentation. I remember having bought the HP 48SX back in 1990; it came with complete, printed documentation - - those were the times.

But after some initial frustration with the Prime, I've come to like it now; even the dichotomy between home view and CAS view makes some sense to me. The user has the choice of not allowing the CAS to get into the way, or of using the full power of the CAS. Only the integration between the views could be improved with the get from CAS/get from home menu - - perhaps automatically converting upper case variables to lower case variables and vice versa in expressions?

The 5447 firmware update is also more stable. I hope the next update will also provide a subdirectory structure (similar to the 50G) - - having all my user variables/CAS variables/PPL programs/CAS programs in one place without any apparent structure makes things hard to find.
12-31-2013, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2013 11:58 AM by Marek Russ.)
(12-31-2013 02:46 AM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  That is great news and greatly improves the process. Now, if I could just figure out how to do this with a Spreadsheet w/o a bunch of cutting and pasting. Wink

Please help me - how will you do "CUT" operation in Spreadsheet???
I know only how to COPY/PASTE...
12-31-2013, 02:08 PM
(12-31-2013 11:57 AM)Marek Russ Wrote:  
(12-31-2013 02:46 AM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  That is great news and greatly improves the process. Now, if I could just figure out how to do this with a Spreadsheet w/o a bunch of cutting and pasting. Wink

Please help me - how will you do "CUT" operation in Spreadsheet???
I know only how to COPY/PASTE...

My bad, I meant to say copying. I was thinking of the program editor, where you can indeed cut and well as copy a selection. You can also easily insert a line at the top in the program editor, whereas you cannot in a spreadsheet. The lack of insert/delete row/column edit commands in the Prime Spreadsheet is a serious drawback to its usefulness.
01-01-2014, 08:29 PM
(12-31-2013 01:40 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  So I just discovered something of which I was unaware while looking through the code.

When entering a matrix/vector, you have the little ± symbols to indicate that pressing + or - will insert or remove a row/column. However, I was not aware that pressing * will insert a new row/column *ABOVE* or *LEFT* respectively.

I remember someone asking about how to add an empty row above the first one and I didn't think that was possible. Turns out I was wrong. :-)

Good to know, thanks, Tim! Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)