Solution to erratic behavior by connectivity kit.
12-28-2013, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2013 09:52 AM by veeblefester.)
Solution to erratic behavior by connectivity kit.
I cannot find the thread I am offering a solution to.

I was experiencing very squirrely behavior when using the connectivity kit for the HP Prime. The solution, I discovered, was to not use a USB 2.0 hub or the USB 2.0 ports on my monitor. When I decided to try a USB 2.0 port directly on the desktop chassis, the problems disappeared.

We need a longer USB cable for the single user of the Prime!!!

I can understand why the supplied cable is so short if you are in a classroom with a bunch of Prime's operating at the same time. That is, so many antennas. So much radiated RF noise. Observe the added external, clamp on ferrite.

Happy coding and may you see ' i No errors in the program ' with every compilation.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2013, 06:09 PM
RE: Solution to erratic behavior by connectivity kit.
What erratic behavior are you referring to?

I am not sure if I follow your logic, longer cable = less interference? I think it is very hard to get a better cable than the provided one, and usually they are all shielded inside.

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-28-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm using the HP cable connected to an extension cable, connected a HUB, connected to a HUB in my monitor connected to my Mac using Parallels with Windows XP and I do not have any USB related problems with the connectivity kit or the emulator outside of flashing in which I used usbtool to get around.

I have the same cabling setup for libhpcalcs to natively transfer between OS/X and the Prime. Also no issues.

I am not suggesting that your problem is not related to your cables and/or hubs, but that it's not a universal problem.
12-31-2013, 12:26 PM
Thank you for your response. Sorry I have taken so long to reply. Holidays and family. The reason I had a problem was a shortage of USB 2.0 ports. Two of those ports were used by external hard drives. I had the Prime plugged into the monitor, which is a hub, and the monitor plugged into a USB 2.0 hub. This series of connections caused my problem. Have a great new year and thanks again.

Happy coding and may you see ' i No errors in the program ' with every compilation.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)