Bring new life to your HP-98200 Data Cartridges!
10-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Bring new life to your HP-98200 Data Cartridges!
Hi everyone!

I just got off the phone with Athana. Most of you probably know of them, but if you don't, they're a company in California that offers magnetic media. See Athana, Inc.

One medium they offer is called the 40-100A, a new DC-100 type data cartridge for the HP-85. However, at just over $50 a cartridge, these aren't all that cheap, and you have to buy at least two.

I was talking with them about ordering two new ones, and when I mentioned that all mine had broken drive belts, they offered me $5 a piece for them, just for the parts.

If they were going to refurbish (rebelt and retape) them and resell them, why couldn't they just refurbish mine and send them back to me?

They said they could! And for only $25 per cartridge! Yippee!! I would say this is a pretty significant cost savings (about 75%) versus buying two new cartridges.

So, I sent 5 of my tired, worn out cartridges off to them this morning, and I can't wait to see what comes back!

This refurbishment service is not listed as an option on their website. I'm not sure if they really care to advertise it, so you didn't hear this from me! You also didn't hear from me that if your cartridges only need new belts, that will cost $15 per cartridge.

Also, if you're going to send something to them, don't send it to the address listed on their website. They just moved to a new building and it will take awhile for the mail to be forwarded there. Ask them for the new address when you talk to them.

-Dan

P.S. I have used some of Athana's 5.25 diskettes (47-7501) with my HP 82901M disc drive and they work just fine.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2014, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 08:09 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
RE: Bring new life to your HP-98200 Data Cartridges!
I wonder if Athana can make cassettes for the 82161A tape drive?
11-01-2014, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure. They don't appear to have anything like those on their website. When I asked why the DC-100 replacement is in such high demand, I was given the analogy of the cassette tape vs. the 8-track tape; there are more drives that use the DC-100 out there than other cartridges.

I'm sure you could always ask them about that tape, they may be able to help you though they don't carry them.
12-08-2014, 04:20 PM
For any of you that are/were interested in this, I got all 5 cartridges back with nice new Athana labels and after a few ERASETAPE commands, all 5 perform wonderfully! I had purposely sent them a cartridge that was missing a shutter spring to see if they would replace it, and indeed, they did. I just love the sound of the drive searching for files! I was happy to regain this utility of my HP-85 because it makes the machine a self-contained unit, meaning I don't have to carry around a 20 pound 82901M!
12-10-2014, 04:45 PM
I use my 85 extensively as an HPIB test instrument system in my electronics hobby shop. I had bought a couple of the new DC100's from Athana and they worked well, but then I stumbled across a 9121D diskette drive for less than the cost of those two cassettes and have been using it instead. In my case the 85 isn't needed for its portability so the size of the drive is worth not having the worry about those tapes falling apart or having to make several backups of them. In many cases with the old DC100 tapes, the oxide material can wear off the tape too. But in every case with mine, the belts breaking ended up being the failure mode and its good to know Athana can replace them.

-Mark-
12-28-2017, 11:33 PM
(12-08-2014 04:20 PM)DanLewis Wrote:  For any of you that are/were interested in this, I got all 5 cartridges back with nice new Athana labels and after a few ERASETAPE commands, all 5 perform wonderfully! I had purposely sent them a cartridge that was missing a shutter spring to see if they would replace it, and indeed, they did. I just love the sound of the drive searching for files! I was happy to regain this utility of my HP-85 because it makes the machine a self-contained unit, meaning I don't have to carry around a 20 pound 82901M!

This is good to know! Restoring my 85 tape drive has been on-going for years now. I am sure a lot of my tapes are bad after years in storage. Thanks Dan!

Mark B

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)