Prime Totally Hangs
09-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Prime Totally Hangs
I'm curious if anybody else experienced serious freezes (with the current firmware).

Last night, my unit wouldn't switch over to CAS mode anymore - - hit the CAS button, and the hourglass came on. Neither On-Symb, nor On-Esc-Apps worked, and the Prime didn't turn off.

A paperclip reset did the job - - however, all my CAS programs are gone, also functions stored with "Define", all global variables, custom apps, and Home and CAS settings - - gone. PPL programs, however, are unaffected.

I believe that memory was corrupted, perhaps because the three "recursive" settings in the CAS settings (2nd page) have default values which are too low; but that is only a hunch. I set them to higher values (50), and so far, touch wood!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2014, 04:31 PM
RE: Prime Totally Hangs
All calculations and histories are in temporary memory until the unit is turned off. The same goes for newly created programs (CAS or not). So if you have been using your calculator for a long time, turn it off and back on to "save" your intermediate results.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
09-23-2014, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 04:42 PM by Helge Gabert.)
Yes, I am well aware of that and I am turning off my unit regularly - - that is not it!
09-23-2014, 07:10 PM
(09-23-2014 04:41 PM)Helge Gabert Wrote:  Yes, I am well aware of that and I am turning off my unit regularly - - that is not it!

You are quite right, that is not it. I was merely suggesting ways to mitigate the problems resulting from such hangups. It sounds like despite your attempts to save the results they were still lost anyway...

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
09-23-2014, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 08:07 PM by Helge Gabert.)
I'm just wondering if these freezes happen to others as well (from time to time), or if everybody else's units work like a charm . . . and if there are some problems with references to certain objects in memory above ROM, CAS programs being one of them (but perhaps also functions created through the "define" key - - especially if they are more complex).

It is mostly no big deal since I try to back up as much as I can.
09-23-2014, 08:51 PM
What you describe is completely new to me. Never seen that before and have no idea what might have happened...

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-23-2014, 09:24 PM
Well, thanks for the reply. Too bad I can't replicate this easily - - perhaps next time - - but I upped the recursive evaluation /replacement/ function values - - so hopefully there won't be a next time.

By the way, can the "rescursive" typo be fixed? Drives me nuts . . .
09-24-2014, 07:25 AM
Perhaps a solution would be that the calc does an auto OFF/ON cycle every few minutes?
09-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Could be . . . but is is working now. I'll wait and see.
09-26-2014, 08:32 PM
(09-24-2014 07:25 AM)parisse Wrote:  Perhaps a solution would be that the calc does an auto OFF/ON cycle every few minutes?

An automatic backup, like many text editors perform, would be a great feature to have. The hanging of the HP Prime seems to me unpredictable. For instance, I inputted this
Code:

solve((6*x^4-12*x^2-30*x)/(9*x^4-12*x^2+4)=1,x)
went thru Warning! algebraic extension not yet implemented before obtaining the answer, and then it hanged up. No hour-glass. After a [Symb][On] restart, the same calculation worked fine.
09-26-2014, 10:41 PM
(09-23-2014 09:24 PM)Helge Gabert Wrote:  By the way, can the "rescursive" typo be fixed? Drives me nuts . . .

Oh no! Never noticed it before. Now it's gonna drive ME nuts too. Sad

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-27-2014, 01:14 AM
Sorry about that Wink

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)