Report problems with CAS and its interface.
04-02-2024, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2024 11:19 PM by compsystems.)
Report problems with CAS and its interface.
Hello, CAS operation on hp-prime is not synchronized with the system GUI. I will report these problematic situations in this thread.

We hope that there can be a work team that can solve these problems.

1: When entering the following algebraic expression it works fine, but when retrieving the input expression in the input expressions line, certain arguments are not printed legibly because there is a vertical offset in the arguments.

a*x^2+b*x+c | (a = -6,b = -4,c = 2) [ENTER] returns -6*x^2-4*x+2

everything on the left side of the symbolic operator | It is considered the expression to be evaluated and everything on the right side is the values of the substitution.

[Image: cas_hp_prime_p00_image00.png]

2: The following situation happens very rarely

When executing the following algebraic expression, the exact coeficient numbers are changed to decimal numbers, that is, a point is added.

subst(a*x^2+b*x+c,[a = -6,b = -4,c = 2]) [ENTER] returns -6*x^2-4*x+2

Run it a few times and you will most likely see the following:

-6. *x^2 -4. *x + 2.0

[Image: cas_hp_prime_p01_image00.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2024, 03:51 AM
RE: Report problems with CAS and its interface.
3: The (-) sign is not centered with respect to the horizontal division bar.

[Image: cas_hp_prime_p02_image00.png]
04-08-2024, 01:27 PM
Try the other operator. The prime has *2* negation operators. The "minus" and unary minus as selected by the +/- key.

The size and vertical justification are used to tell them apart.
04-08-2024, 08:15 PM
It is good to differentiate them at the input, but by signal law at the output they must align with the horizontal bar of the division,
04-08-2024, 08:25 PM
When you copy symbols to the character input line, the bottom part is hidden.

[Image: cas_hp_prime_p03_image00.png]

Another improvement would be to store the last position of the scanned character when the character table is reopened.
04-08-2024, 09:39 PM
(04-02-2024 01:46 PM)compsystems Wrote:  1: When entering the following algebraic expression it works fine, but when retrieving the input expression in the input expressions line, certain arguments are not printed legibly because there is a vertical offset in the arguments.

(a*x^2+b*x+c) | (a = -6,b = -4,c = 2) [ENTER] returns -6*x^2-4*x+2

everything on the left side of the symbolic operator | It is considered the expression to be evaluated and everything on the right side is the values of the substitution.

The Where function requires a list for multiple variables. Use this:

a*x^2+b*x+c|({a = -6,b = -4,c = 2}

instead of this:

(a*x^2+b*x+c) | (a = -6,b = -4,c = 2)

and that behavior is not observed.

-road
04-08-2024, 11:33 PM
The following input statement is interpreted as everything to the left of the operator | is the input expression and everything to the right is the substitutions

a*x^2+b*x+c | a=-6,b=-4,c=2 [Enter] -6*x^2-4*x+2 ok

with curved parentheses should be enough

a*x^2+b*x+c | (a=-6,b=-4,c=2) [Enter] -6*x^2-4*x+2 ok

or

(a*x^2+b*x+c) | (a=-6,b=-4,c=2) [Enter] -6*x^2-4*x+2 ok
04-18-2024, 01:02 AM
(04-02-2024 01:46 PM)compsystems Wrote:  Hello, CAS operation on hp-prime is not synchronized with the system GUI. I will report these problematic situations in this thread.

Thanks! I thought I'd try to add some comments from this thread to the bug tracker I've set up.

Quote:
2: The following situation happens very rarely

When executing the following algebraic expression, the exact coeficient numbers are changed to decimal numbers, that is, a point is added.

subst(a*x^2+b*x+c,[a = -6,b = -4,c = 2]) [ENTER] returns -6*x^2-4*x+2

Run it a few times and you will most likely see the following:

-6. *x^2 -4. *x + 2.0

I've tried to recreate this on both HP Prime Virtual Calculators and on a physical HP Prime, with a variety of different settings for Entry mode and Simplification, but could not reproduce it.

While writing this post (after writing the sentence just before this one), I did try the above subst, but with an "a" variable set to "-6.", and then (repeatedly) got the -6. in the output.

Some more information might help. Are you seeing this with behaviour with the latest public release (2.1.14732 (2023 04 21))? (Does it occur even with a completely fresh / blank calculator?)
04-18-2024, 07:51 AM
(04-18-2024 01:02 AM)jte Wrote:  Are you seeing this with behaviour with the latest public release (2.1.14732 (2023 04 21))?

Hi,
I haven't seen this version before! Did I miss something? My physical HP G2 displays:
2.1.14730 (2023 04 13)
04-18-2024, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2024 08:05 AM by parisse.)
subst does not quote it's arguments, therefore if a is assigned say to 2
subst(a*x^2+b*x+c,[a = -6,b = -4,c = 2])
will eval a*x^2+b*x+c to 2*x^2+b*x+c, as well as a=-6 to 2=-6, and a will not be replaced by -6.
A warning is displayed in the terminal.
04-19-2024, 12:51 AM
In HP-Prime, sometimes the outputs, integers, have a dot added.

Another problem is that when there is an expression in the input line, and if you later go to the [help] menu and search for something, when you return the expression in the input line is cut off.

[Image: cas_hp_prime_p05_image00.png]
04-20-2024, 06:29 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2024 08:33 AM by komame.)
(04-08-2024 08:25 PM)compsystems Wrote:  When you copy symbols to the character input line, the bottom part is hidden.

[Image: cas_hp_prime_p03_image00.png]

Another improvement would be to store the last position of the scanned character when the character table is reopened.

I managed to reproduce this issue. It's related to the font size settings in Home Settings on page 2. This issue affects every edit field (anywhere, in any view/application where edit fields are present) when the font is set to "Small Font". For the other font sizes, the problem does not occur.

(04-19-2024 12:51 AM)compsystems Wrote:  In HP-Prime, sometimes the outputs, integers, have a dot added.

Another problem is that when there is an expression in the input line, and if you later go to the [help] menu and search for something, when you return the expression in the input line is cut off.

[Image: cas_hp_prime_p05_image00.png]

I managed to reproduce this bug as well. I've filed a ticket for this issue in the bug tracker.

Piotr Kowalewski
04-26-2024, 03:28 PM
(04-20-2024 06:29 AM)komame Wrote:  [...] I've filed a ticket for this issue in the bug tracker.

..and the bug got fixed! Big Grin

Thank you, Jeff.

Piotr Kowalewski
Yesterday, 11:51 AM
Hello
When typing '(x^m)^n^p' and executing the input, and then retrieving it on the input line of the expression, when trying to step down from the exponent 'n' to include a parenthesis, the cursor location jumps to the end of the expression, it must be located before the variable 'p' not after
'(x^m)^n|^p' => '(x^m)^n^p|'

[Image: cas_hp_prime_p08_image00.png]
Yesterday, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 12:27 PM by compsystems.)
Hello
Typing (x^m)^n:; and executing the input, then retrieving it on the input line of the expression and executing it again does not interpret the nodisp() function

The nodisp() function is synonymous with ( :; ), that is, it does not display the result of the input.

[Image: cas_hp_prime_p07_image00.png]
Yesterday, 02:14 PM
(Yesterday 11:57 AM)compsystems Wrote:  Typing (x^m)^n:; and executing the input, then retrieving it on the input line of the expression and executing it again does not interpret the nodisp() function

Solution: add a user-defined nodisp function.

> nodisp := z->"Done"
Yesterday, 05:34 PM
This is not the only function that is not well interpreted, there are several similar ones.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)