Stranger things (on HP50g)
04-18-2024, 03:41 PM
Stranger things (on HP50g)
Hi everyone, I have several copies of HP50g and today one seems to be possessed by ectoplasms. I heard the standard beep, I opened the case and the display was on, the word "low battery" and many vertical lines off, as well as the part with the shift, alpha and IR icons. I replaced the batteries but the switched off lines remained deactivated even when playing with the contrast. By pressing between the display and the F keys some further lines go off... I fear a connection problem. Until a few days ago it was perfect and the temperatures here are low. What could have caused it?
Having also another 50g with only 2 horizontal lines off, I would try repairing both specimens, can you recommend any guides for disassembling and repairing the display?
Finally, the scariest question: is it normal for the calculator to turn on automatically to signal low batteries? A Demodogs from the Upside Down was trying to do some calculations?

Thank you in advance

Hardware: Hp48S - Hp50g (5x black + 1 blue) - HP39gII - Hp27s - Casio fx-CG50
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2024, 05:13 PM
RE: Stranger things (on HP50g)
No clue about the weather and place on your side,
but can be related to humidity in your storage.
Speaking from experience, have lost one SHARP PC1403 that
way....my student time calc.
04-20-2024, 09:40 AM
RE: Stranger things (on HP50g)
Contact fluid could be one of the causes of the screen problem. About a month ago I noticed that there were some old encrustations of battery fluid (from the previous owner, I only use rechargeable batteries) which I cleaned with detergent and cotton swabs. I hypothesize the vapors may have damaged the screen contacts.

The self-ignition and the low battery signal with the calculator closed in its case remains mysterious...

Hardware: Hp48S - Hp50g (5x black + 1 blue) - HP39gII - Hp27s - Casio fx-CG50

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)