HP Prime: Missing functionality
09-15-2014, 11:44 AM
HP Prime: Missing functionality
Hello everybody,

A newcomer to HP Prime but a long time user of HP50G; where are the DATE+, DDAYS functions?

Where is UNDO in RPN mode that so often saves my life?

Thank you,
Fatih
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2014, 11:51 AM
RE: HP Prime: Missing functionality
This is the hp "PRIME," (it's missing a few factors).
09-15-2014, 02:19 PM
So, should I take this as a suggestion to stick with HP50G if one wants to continue to use RPN?
Fatih
09-15-2014, 08:01 PM
(09-15-2014 02:19 PM)fcan1968 Wrote:  So, should I take this as a suggestion to stick with HP50G if one wants to continue to use RPN?
Fatih

Ummm... Yes.

The RPN in Prime, though capable and stable, is limited compared to a 50g, especially for an experienced 50g user. No RPL for example. And it's not directly programmable, though one can do limited manipulation on/off the stack.

HP has consistently stated that it is their goal to improve the RPN in Prime, and we expect they will, however for the time being, I would stick with your 50g if RPN is important. you can always upgrade to a Prime once the RPN has matured.

That said, the Prime does a huge amount of stuff a 50g can't do, so you should compare them to decide which is best.

--Bob Prosperi
09-16-2014, 05:51 AM
Thanks Bob.
Fatih
09-16-2014, 02:46 PM
(09-15-2014 11:44 AM)fcan1968 Wrote:  A newcomer to HP Prime but a long time user of HP50G; where are the DATE+, DDAYS functions?
Prime have a very powerful programming language and since theses functionalities are not magic, you are free to program your own functions that solve the problem, and may be to share them in the "prime software library"

Patrice
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” Albert Einstein
09-16-2014, 03:32 PM
where are the DATE+, DDAYS functions ?
In a german prime forum Wolfgang submitted some programs:
http://forum.hp-prime.de/discussion/comm...omment_799
--> DTFX.txt
09-17-2014, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2014 07:52 PM by Wolfgang.)
DTFX is a multi functions program for HP PRIME simulating
the HP50g's date functions DDAYS and Date+ (HP Prime = DPLUS).
In addition there are further functions like JDN, N2J, DOW, CALD, DOE.
DTFX functions are designed to CALL THEM FROM CAS and HOME ENVIRONMENT.

A lot of remarks inside the source.

Note: DDAYS and Date+ are operating in the range from
from January 1, -4712 to December 31, 9999

thx Thomas,

Wolfgang

I'm very sorry: you'll need this too: DF.TXT
1st please compile DF, 2nd compile DTFX
Wolfgang

Attached File(s)
.txt  DTFX.txt (Size: 14.49 KB / Downloads: 35)
.txt  DF.txt (Size: 1.21 KB / Downloads: 5)

HP 33C 34C 11C 41CX 12C 15C HP71B 35s 50g Prime Rev. A, C, D. DM 41X, 42. TI 58C, 59, 74, 92-II, Voyage 200, nspire CX II-T, Sanyo ICC 82D and more
09-22-2014, 03:58 PM
(09-15-2014 08:01 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(09-15-2014 02:19 PM)fcan1968 Wrote:  So, should I take this as a suggestion to stick with HP50G if one wants to continue to use RPN?
Fatih

Ummm... Yes.

The RPN in Prime, though capable and stable, is limited compared to a 50g, especially for an experienced 50g user. No RPL for example. And it's not directly programmable, though one can do limited manipulation on/off the stack.

HP has consistently stated that it is their goal to improve the RPN in Prime, and we expect they will, however for the time being, I would stick with your 50g if RPN is important. you can always upgrade to a Prime once the RPN has matured.

That said, the Prime does a huge amount of stuff a 50g can't do, so you should compare them to decide which is best.
I would describe it as the HP Prime's firmware is a jumble of apps that don't really play well together yet...

...we can only hope that they're still putting a good deal of effort into polishing (and adding functionality) to the existing firmware...

That said I think that the Prime's firmware is in much better shape today than when it was originally tossed out onto the market, as it's now half-baked rather than bloody raw...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)