"I bought a zoo" - not really - 2 non HP Calcs
01-11-2024, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2024 05:21 PM by MikeSD.)
"I bought a zoo" - not really - 2 non HP Calcs
I'm not sure why, but I bought two non-hp calculators.

My favorite calculators have been the HP-41 series and the HP-71B. The 41 for it's calculator functions, and the 71B because it was also a computer. I bought my first one, the day they were released. Did the same for the 71B. I drove from WA, to Corvallis, to pick them up on day one. I was also one of the first ones (mybe the) to return one, because of a problem. They told me that. Again, I drove down to show them. And they replaced it on the spot. But that was before $5/gal gas. Smile

I have been running the fantastic Go41CX emulator (by Oliver De Smet) on my smart phone. Also the Go71B. It's a great calculator. I never really took a shine to the 48 series, although they had more capability.

So, for some reason, I decided to see what was out there. I know I'm behind the curve on this, but I saw the HP Prime 2. Bought one. Very non-intuitive. But I have manuals so it's just a matter of time. I still don't go much graphics on any calculator, but with the larger display, and large storage, I thought I might have luck with doing something non-calculator like. Like creating and using lists, to store data (kind of like a database). Still con't know if thats possible. We'l see...

Then, I bought the Swiss Micro DM41X. It seems to solve a problem I've been dealing with. It includes virtually every module, that was available on the 41CX. Yeah, I know, the Go41CX also does that, and I already use it. Plus, the Android makes a pretty good devlopment system. But hey, you can't have too many calculators.

I'll have to read up on the Prime here and see what others think about it.

DM41CX RPN: It would be great if there was some sort of Asembler or compiler for the MD41X. Is there? Is FORTH Assembler part of the DM calculator? DELETED, answered on forum

So, why in the heck would I need to buy another calculator, that does similar things to what's on my android, while also having the original calculators? I do not know. Maybe you could tell me. Smile

I mention calculators to people at work, and their eyes just glaze over. I suspect in a few years, no one will no diddly about old calculators.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)