the book
09-16-2014, 03:49 AM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2014 03:51 AM by Geoff Quickfall.)
RE: the book
They work,

-As long as they fit, and they do because you are not using the supplied metal bracket which adds length to the battery pack.

-As long as you don't mind using the calculator charging circuit in an aging calculator.

-As long as your calc is not suffering broken tabs or corroded flex strips.

I prefer to charge externally, hence the use of the aa phone battery packs that come with the mini plugs. If the flex connector or traces on the battery bracket are good they are an option. If you have missing trace such as the bracket above then charging on board may be a issue.

So there are a few scenarios to consider which will impact your battery choice:

-bad flex connector requiring a jump wire workaround
-bad battery bracket trace requiring a wire workaround and no charging on board
-bad tabs and good battery bracket requiring a wire workaround.
-bad tabs, bad flex, bad traces requiring tab replacement, wire work around, no charging.
-as above and just wiring around the entire system with the bracket removed.

There are more scenarios but it is 4am and I have to get back to sleep, on a trip to London.

Night! See you Friday!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2014, 07:12 PM
(09-16-2014 12:58 AM)Jeff_Kearns Wrote:  Geoff,

I have purchased several sets of rechargeable batteries like these from ebay. What do you think of that as a recommended battery solution for Spice calculators?

Jeff K

I'm not Geoff, but I've used these for over a year with no ill effects on any of several Spice machines (32E, 33C, 34C, 38C). An odd thing about spice models is the 'Minus' LED segment seems to weaken considerably as the batteries are fading. Maybe it's an early warning symptom and I misssed it in the manual. Nah...

--Bob Prosperi
09-17-2014, 06:18 AM
Your right on the minus sign.

If the calc is good, and the batteries are good then no worries. These do not suffer the Woodstock charging problem if or when the batteries create an infinite resistance and the destroy the ACT chip.

My conservative take is to charge outside the aging 30 year old calc, but if all works, great. I use similar remakes for my 67 but use the external HP charger for the batter a packs as with my 91,92, and 97.

Cheers, Geoff
10-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Fantastic Geoff. I hope it will be spiral bound. That will be the perfect "bible" for the HP worktable in my room. Thanks for your work so far.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-28-2014, 09:34 AM
Hi Geoff,
(09-11-2014 01:46 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  the book is very close to completion, this year.

This year is close to completion, too - any news?

d:-)
12-30-2014, 09:38 AM
(11-28-2014 09:34 AM)walter b Wrote:  Hi Geoff,
(09-11-2014 01:46 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  the book is very close to completion, this year.

Only ONE day left, Geoff.

d:-/
12-30-2014, 01:48 PM
(12-30-2014 09:38 AM)walter b Wrote:  
(11-28-2014 09:34 AM)walter b Wrote:  Hi Geoff,

Only ONE day left, Geoff.

dUndecided

Give it a break, Walter. You remind me of my grand children:

"Are we Almost There?"

Geoff, Take your time. There is no rush. This is a hobby and one we should enjoy. I am just appreciative of your previous postings which gave some of the sample sections. I'm a happy camper if that is all I ever see from the book.

Bill
12-30-2014, 08:55 PM
The risk I see in delaying the Book is that you have to add the Prime calculator chapter. The hardware version A is already a collectible machine :+)

Giancarlo
01-03-2015, 06:43 PM
RE: the book. Walter
Hello all,

I missed this posting for the last little while. More on that later.

Walter:

Thanks for meeting me in Frankfurt, lunch, beer, conversation were wonderful! Your two texts on the 31 and 34 are perfect and have given me some great ideas on publishing.

Everyone:

I met Walter in September? And had lunch with him in Mainz. At that time I stated the book was very close to being done and probably would be ready for proofing in or at the new year. Hence Walters postings of late :-)

Unfortunately, as with projects of this nature, family got in the way. Suffice to say, and not looking for sympathy, a family illness (parent and dementia) has become a huge part of any free time. That combined with our 9 year old dog who was in perfect health decided epilepsy was the way to go. Both these things happened late September.

Anyone with a dog knows, if the dog doesn't sleep, no one does!

Without going into details, we are accepting the transition in the immediate family and the dog is finally stable; this occurring after months of tests, an adrenalectomy (thank heaven for pet insurance)...

So, yes the book is a few months away from completetion, but family and dog are coming first.

The new year looks better so a happy new year to all.

Walter, lunch again in Mainz in the summer, and then a copy of the completed book.

Cheers, Geoff
01-05-2015, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 09:02 PM by walter b.)
(01-03-2015 06:43 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Thanks for meeting me in Frankfurt [Mainz], lunch, beer, conversation were wonderful! Your two texts on the 31 and 34 are perfect and have given me some great ideas on publishing.

Thanks for your very kind words.

I continue looking forward to your book about repairing and restoring everything. And I keep my fingers crossed it will be ready by our next meeting. Though I don't want being forced to introduce "Geoff's book constant" equalling 6 months (it would answer the question: "When will your book be published?", regardless of the time you ask; that would be the analogy to the so-called "nuclear fusion constant" equalling 40 years, answering the question: "When will nuclear fusion plants produce our electrical power?", regardless of the time you ask; this "nuclear fusion constant" holds for 50 years so far).

d;-)
01-07-2015, 06:36 AM
Hello Geoff,

As soon as I happened to know about your book I felt it would be a must-have, and since long I'm convinced that it will be truly outstanding.

Please, if there's a waiting list would you be kind enough to put me on ? Thank you very much ! (but keep giving priorities the time they deserve)

Wishing you the best for 2015,
Marc
01-07-2015, 04:46 PM
Likewise, please add my name to the list. --- Jeff K
01-07-2015, 06:15 PM
One more
Denis
01-07-2015, 07:25 PM
I hope that my name is still on the list, from the start... :)

Boy, when finished, this book will be a hit! Yeah.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2015, 08:31 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2015 08:31 PM by PANAMATIK.)
Please, put me on list for one! I'm remotely connected to HP calculator repairs.

Bernhard
01-07-2015, 09:54 PM
And another copy for me, please!

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

01-08-2015, 12:18 AM
Please add my name to the list.
01-08-2015, 01:50 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 05:11 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
Please add my name (Sylvain Côté) to your list for two (2) books.
edit: revised book quantity. 8-)
01-08-2015, 02:08 AM
If there is a list, please add me to the list. (Is there a list?)

John
01-08-2015, 02:51 AM
One for me please!

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)