the book
09-11-2014, 01:46 AM
the book
just to let you know that I am now proofing each chapter. each chapter contains a specific family and complete disassembly, restoration, electronics, tips specific for the family on in some case multiple examples.

as I am proofing I am discovering shortcomings in the how to photos, actually a need for more descriptive pictures.

As an example, today I dissembled 5 spices, floating ics and soldered ics. I have added a work around for destroyed battery tabs, destroyed power ribbons and etc.

this involved 50 more close-ups which must now be edited, photo shopped, inserted and described.

the book is very close to completion, this year.

here is a shot of the last 9 hours at the dining room table, fortunately Janice (my wife) was out and it was all cleaned up before she got home.

[Image: diningtable_zps54857c22.jpg]

Cheers, Geoff

here are some unedited photos (can't give everything away).

[Image: IMG_5100_zpse16bd18c.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5088_zpsb3280e8d.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5087_zps3478f74f.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5081_zps9ce26a43.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5079_zps12d054f4.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2014, 02:30 AM
RE: the book
Looking nice.

Pauli
09-11-2014, 02:30 AM
Wow, I am SO looking forward to this book! On second thought I don't think the word "book" will do it justice. Perhaps, encyclopediaSmile

How many pages do you estimate it will be?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2014, 03:39 AM
Fantastic news! Thanks Geoff!!
09-11-2014, 03:49 AM
(09-11-2014 02:30 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  On second thought I don't think the word "book" will do it justice. Perhaps, encyclopediaSmile

Or, I daresay, bible. Smile

John
09-11-2014, 05:51 AM
Great news!

Thanks Geoff, we are in queue... ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2014, 06:29 AM
+1 Smile

And remember, remember the 27th of September Wink

d:-)
09-11-2014, 07:32 AM
the long wait will be worth every second - I'm absolutely sure. Hope you still have me on your subscription list.

Best regards

Karl
09-11-2014, 01:02 PM
(09-11-2014 01:46 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  the book is very close to completion, this year.

Cheers, Geoff

Great news, we are all eager to see the book.
Please bring some sample content to HHC for some early tasting...

--Bob Prosperi
09-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Thanks all, I hope the book will live up to the praise.

Bob,

If you are at the HHC part of the proceedings is the HP01 chapter six, previous proceedings had the 41C, CV, CX and CL along with the card reader.

I am also demonstrating live, a 41C card reader repair (gummy wheel and gummy coupler) which will be donated to the prize table (working of course).

Cheers, Geoff
09-11-2014, 05:39 PM
(09-11-2014 04:31 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Thanks all, I hope the book will live up to the praise.

Bob,

If you are at the HHC part of the proceedings is the HP01 chapter six, previous proceedings had the 41C, CV, CX and CL along with the card reader.

I am also demonstrating live, a 41C card reader repair (gummy wheel and gummy coupler) which will be donated to the prize table (working of course).

Cheers, Geoff

Yes, I've seen some of these, but somehow missed the CL - need ot go find that one. Looking forward to the Card Reader repair demo. Would like to peek at some of your spice repair notes - they're such a pain to open. See you next week.

--Bob Prosperi
09-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Quote:the book is very close to completion, this year
It will be the perfect xmas gift! :-)
09-11-2014, 07:22 PM
(09-11-2014 02:30 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Wow, I am SO looking forward to this book!

+1!
09-11-2014, 07:45 PM
(09-11-2014 07:22 PM)anetzer Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 02:30 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Wow, I am SO looking forward to this book!

+1!

Ditto. I really like spending some of my discretionary money on things made by "us". I've gotten the DM15cc, one of Eric & Richard's DYI RPNs, Walter's 34s manual and the 41CL addition. All have been of the highest quality and usefulness. I have my checkbook out and am warming up the pen Geoff.
09-11-2014, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 09:35 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
RE: the book, more work today and pictures!
standby, lots getting done.

as with any project, when you stand back and then look it over again (after a scotch) you see deficiencies. this occurs with any project.

for example, I was never satisfied with my work around for the spice deteriorated ribbon connectors, corroded battery brackets, cracked or missing battery tabs so today I worked up a kluge which involved phone battery packs and connector plugs. the main reason being, although non stressing to the calculator case, it was not convenient for charging. Easy enough to by at the local thrift or flea market an old phone with charger cord. That will be in the book as it works and is a valid option.

this next kluge was today because Gene REALLY wanted the alkaline battery option. The first kluge, the new battery tabs were too thick, so take it apart and work on version two.

Also, the alkaline batteries of today are longer then the alkalines HP designed the spice case for. So prior to installation, using a hammer or large rock, tap the +ve terminal of the AA battery in a silly mm. Get the book for the rest of the hints.

So here are some pictures without Photoshop or labels from today, those will be found in the book with descriptions, material lists and etc...

A functional complete with battery tab bracket but with broken ribbon which must be worked around. The red is +ve, the black is -ve and the blue is for the charger section of the PCB.

[Image: IMG_5116_zpsd3680336.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5115_zps84389796.jpg]

Kluge 1 with thick battery tabs:

[Image: IMG_5121_zpsb3a94095.jpg]

Kluge 2 with thinner battery tabs:

[Image: IMG_5127_zps0f511009.jpg]

bracket in place with thinner tabs:

[Image: IMG_5129_zps7ffa32f7.jpg]

some before pictures of the backet:

[Image: IMG_5117_zps54830163.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5118_zps59618a83.jpg]

after cleaned up and soaked in hot vinegar solution:

[Image: IMG_5120_zps75797e70.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5119_zpse4a9d84d.jpg]

cheers, Geoff

now to mow the lawn then create the text and final pictures for the spice chapter.
09-13-2014, 01:28 PM
(09-11-2014 09:34 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Also, the alkaline batteries of today are longer then the alkalines HP designed the spice case for. So prior to installation, using a hammer or large rock, tap the +ve terminal of the AA battery in a silly mm.

oh - no, no, no... please don't do that. i've had (good quality) alkaline cells explode after being damaged, creating quite some mess. depending on the manufacturer the +ve tab may just be a cap, or may be a part of the cell casing.

a far better approach for a collectable calculator would be to fashion a holder for two AAA sized cells. after all, even a pair of modern rechargeable AAA cells is likely to run one of these calculators for many hours of use.

rob :-)
09-13-2014, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2014 02:40 PM by jebem.)
Hi, Geoff,

From what I've read in other posts, your book has got legendary status already!
I'm sure it will be a nice book to own, specially with all those gorgeous photos of the calculator internals!

Is it possible to publish here a preliminary draft version of the book summary?

Will the book be available in paper hard copy only (a la Walter), or will we have the option to order a electronic format as well?

Thanks in advance for your information!

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

09-13-2014, 02:49 PM
(09-13-2014 01:28 PM)robert rozee Wrote:  [quote='Geoff Quickfall' pid='18742' dateline='1410471275']
a far better approach for a collectable calculator would be to fashion a holder for two AAA sized cells. after all, even a pair of modern rechargeable AAA cells is likely to run one of these calculators for many hours of use.
rob :-)

a sleeve to encase AAA cells so they could be charged in an AA battery charger used to be available at Radio Shack. If these are still findable they might be, or be easily modifiable to, the shorter size - and offer some small protection against leakage too.

Me though, I'm lazy. I just leave the contacts broken and slip in alkalines with some aluminum foil at the bridge.
09-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Hi!

Okay, tapping the +ve end to reduce the length may not be a good idea due to exploding or leaking batteries, however, this is strictly anecdotal from personal experience over 8 years. I have done this for my 34c and never had a problem. That is a personal experience only; and maybe I have been lucky. :-)

The only problem I have ever had is with a specific brand that makes their battery so oversized, to extend their operational life by jamming as much chemical in to them, they have ruptured inside my maglite. They went in easily but expanded as they aged over a month. I find the generic house brands. (London Drugs, Walgreens, radio shack...) do not have the oversized cases in diameter and have never suffered from leaks even when tapped. Yes they are capped ends but I am deforming the nipple inwards, not the entire end. I have never had that problem with the tapped brand.

A triple a battery bracket is just too large (radio shack and generic local electronics shop) to fit that I have found, that is not to say there is one out there. And the problem is associated with the metal bracket used to hold the oversized batteries. The batteries are fine if the end is bridged by a piece of tin foil as mentioned above and the metal bracket is not used. Again the generic brands are usually smaller.

So tap them, and beware, insert them without a bracket or try and find a aaa holder that will fit and solder jumpers to the bracket. The book mentions all this, the owner of this calc wanted the ability to have it restored to close to original. Hence using the AAs and replace the battery tabs.

In fact, I have a 34c with the battery bracket entirely removed, a aa rechargeable pack form a phone installed and connected with a male and female phone battery connection plug for ease of replacement with one end soldered correctly to the board. I use an old phone to charge the battery as I don't trust the charging circuits on HP calcs, especially the woodstocks. The bracket is removed to allow the wire harness a place to hide with the pack in place.

So if you are using AAs in a spice with the original tabs installed, the caveat is, they are longer then HP designed for, especially if you intend to use the original metal bracket. This will result in broken tabs, cracked case corners or broken battery bracket.

Cheers, Geoff
09-16-2014, 12:58 AM
Geoff,

I have purchased several sets of rechargeable batteries like these from ebay. What do you think of that as a recommended battery solution for Spice calculators?

Jeff K

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)