the book
07-11-2015, 04:43 PM
RE: the book
Is this book available yet? And if so where might I obtain a copy? I need the step-by-step instructions. Trying to figure out "the path" to wire around the broken ribbon [do I remove the ribbon entirely?] and things of that nature are very difficult for a rookie like myself. If it were as simple as a three-pronged approach I could do it but the "three-pronged" ribbon splits into about different 10 paths. Do I slice the ribbon to where it meets the motherboard and make my three soldering points there?
As an afterthought my grandmother's brother, my uncle Marvin, graduated from Michigan State University in 1941 with a degree in electrical engineering. He worked on things of a nuclear nature, specifically all the nuclear ordinance in submarines from 1956 through the Cold War. I found out last year that he did meet and work with one person that was on the Manhattan Project. He retired from General Electric in their Neutron Devices Dept. He is 94 years old this year. I am going to see him soon at our yearly family reunion. I wonder if he has any early calculators...?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2015, 04:48 AM
I too would love to obtain this book. Please post details on how to order as soon as it is done!

Thanks a bunch.
07-10-2018, 10:28 AM
Good morning all,

about to try to fix my 34C and I would like to purchase the book if available?

Many thanks
07-10-2018, 11:47 AM
(07-10-2018 10:28 AM)goncal Wrote:  Good morning all,

about to try to fix my 34C and I would like to purchase the book if available?

Many thanks

Imagine how we would love to... ;)

Geoff hasn't finished it. Yet.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-19-2018, 05:46 AM
I am quite confused. This thread is several years old and talks about "a book" but provides zero details on the name of the book or what its about. Posts from 2015 pointed to The Book coming soon, and some wrote posts compelling people to not rush the author; yet here it is July 19, 2018 and we still don't know the name of those book, what its about, why anyone would even want it, or when it will be available (if ever).

Folks, is the author still alive?

Is the author perhaps waiting for newRPL to be released before he releases his book? :-)

If "good things come to those who wait," this book must be paradise.
07-19-2018, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2018 06:49 AM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(07-19-2018 05:46 AM)JDW Wrote:  I am quite confused. This thread is several years old and talks about "a book" but provides zero details on the name of the book or what its about. Posts from 2015 pointed to The Book coming soon, and some wrote posts compelling people to not rush the author; yet here it is July 19, 2018 and we still don't know the name of those book, what its about, why anyone would even want it, or when it will be available (if ever).

It is a book about restoration of HP calculators.
We are waiting for it since a decade, more or less. Just picked this post from 9 years ago.
There you will also find the proposed index.

(07-19-2018 05:46 AM)JDW Wrote:  Folks, is the author still alive?

Alive and kickin'!! And flying.

(07-19-2018 05:46 AM)JDW Wrote:  Is the author perhaps waiting for newRPL to be released before he releases his book? :-)

A job, family issues, other interests and the like, are things that can keep you from completing a task.
I don't think Geoff is waiting for the advent of newRPL to write the last page of the book.

(07-19-2018 05:46 AM)JDW Wrote:  If "good things come to those who wait," this book must be paradise.

You bet! That, or a riot. :)

Greetings,
    Massimo

07-19-2018, 06:56 AM
Thank you for the extremely helpful reply, Massimo! I really appreciate it.

If the book has been in the making 10 years and still has not been made available in print, it might actually be a better idea if the author just opened an HP calculator repair business. That way, we just ship him our calculators, pay a fee, then get our restored calculator shipped back to us in great condition! :-)

Honestly, I wish there was a way to fix keys on the 28S that didn't include drilling into the case. Some restorations arguably do more harm than good when aesthetics are considered.

Anyway, thank you!
07-19-2018, 03:10 PM
Hi,

Two things -
First, the British HPCC (Handheld and Portable Computer Club) had a 36-page special issue of their Datafile magazine, dated February 2016, solely dedicated to HP-65 restoration and based on excerpts from Geoff's upcoming book.
Secondly, Geoff is listed as 90% certain of attending the upcoming HHC2018 HP calculator conference in San Jose on September 29-30, so there might be that opportunity to meet him there. Look here for additional information regarding the conference, if interested.

Thanks,
Jake
06-24-2022, 10:31 PM
Any news I might have missed? ?
06-24-2022, 10:33 PM
(06-24-2022 10:31 PM)metawops Wrote:  Any news I might have missed? ?

No replies since 2018 indicates you haven't missed anything.
06-24-2022, 11:08 PM
There is an unsubstantiated rumor that the Pandemic was arranged simply to provide a somewhat feasible explanation for delays of THE BOOK.

But that could never happen... nah...

--Bob Prosperi
06-24-2022, 11:32 PM
This would be the "single source" of repair information I was looking for.

Could anything be more anticipated?

I think not.

HP-45/65/67,HP-10/11/12/15/16c,HP-21/25/25c/29c,HP-31e/32e/33e/34c,HP-41C/V/X,HP-22s/27s/32sii/42s,HP-48s/gx,HP-35s,more
06-24-2022, 11:52 PM
(06-24-2022 11:32 PM)DrewNicholson Wrote:  This would be the "single source" of repair information I was looking for.

You? Smile

We are an army.

Greetings,
    Massimo

06-25-2022, 10:45 PM
(06-24-2022 11:08 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  There is an unsubstantiated rumor that the Pandemic was arranged simply to provide a somewhat feasible explanation for delays of THE BOOK.

Surely it would be an ideal time to finish THE BOOK!

— Ian Abbott
06-26-2022, 02:24 AM
(06-25-2022 10:45 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(06-24-2022 11:08 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  There is an unsubstantiated rumor that the Pandemic was arranged simply to provide a somewhat feasible explanation for delays of THE BOOK.

Surely it would be an ideal time to finish THE BOOK!

In truth, just the opposite. The totally screwed up flight schedules have resulted in Geoff flying even more hours then before, plus lots of standy-by hours, etc.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)