Is there a UNITS program similar to the ones on 48 series (and Free42Plus) for 42S?
08-14-2023, 03:49 PM
Is there a UNITS program similar to the ones on 48 series (and Free42Plus) for 42S?
Hello all,

I know that there is a neat UNITS program built into the Free42Plus calculator, which somewhat mirrors functionality of the 48 series (appending the units to the number on the stack and letting you manipulate numbers and keep the units intact).

Does such a program exist for either DM42 or Free42 or 42S?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2023, 03:55 PM
RE: Is there a UNITS program similar to the ones on 48 series (and Free42Plus) for 42S?
I did find this one (just now):
https://thomasokken.com/free42/42progs/Convert.html

available here:
https://thomasokken.com/free42/42progs/

i will test this out momentarily, but it appears that it doesn't let you multiply/divide numbers like the built-in Free42Plus (and 48 series) UNITS functions work.
08-14-2023, 05:13 PM
RE: Is there a UNITS program similar to the ones on 48 series (and Free42Plus) for 42S?
There are various very application-specific programs floating about, but Free42, and hence DM42, do not have units 'baked into' the system, so 48-style operations are not possible.

--Bob Prosperi
08-14-2023, 06:34 PM
(08-14-2023 05:13 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  There are various very application-specific programs floating about, but Free42, and hence DM42, do not have units 'baked into' the system, so 48-style operations are not possible.

OK thanks...

So the version that Free42Plus runs required a bit of a rewrite to the underlying calculator code? It isn't just an add-on to the program?

I'm also curious how the C47 displays the units in front of the result after doing one of its built in conversions, showing a small "mm" or "in" at the beginning of the line in the stack. Can that be done programmatically?
08-14-2023, 10:48 PM
(08-14-2023 06:34 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  
(08-14-2023 05:13 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  There are various very application-specific programs floating about, but Free42, and hence DM42, do not have units 'baked into' the system, so 48-style operations are not possible.

OK thanks...

So the version that Free42Plus runs required a bit of a rewrite to the underlying calculator code? It isn't just an add-on to the program?

I'm also curious how the C47 displays the units in front of the result after doing one of its built in conversions, showing a small "mm" or "in" at the beginning of the line in the stack. Can that be done programmatically?

Plus42 is indeed a superset of Free42 but it includes some fairly dramatic enhancements, including this unit handing and a fully-compatible Pioneer Solver, Algebraic Equations, Directories, and more. So, definitely the same family, but the younger sibling got lots of newer/better DNA.

For the C47C43/WP43, only Walter and Jaco's team can answer how/why about design details. These are certainly HP RPN inspired, but differ in many different ways, though usually for good reasons related to the superior functionality they provide.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)