WP34S case project
04-25-2014, 05:28 PM
WP34S case project
I finally got my 34S yesterday. Very nice. Even the keys are OK Smile

However, comparing the case to that of my 32S I have to say I prefer the latter - I generally find objects with (relatively) sharp angled edges less pleasant to hold than ones with rounded edges. E.g. the original iPhone was also more comfortable than the 4 and 5...

Since I'm just getting into 3D printing I thought that modelling a new case might be fun. (I've also just started on OpenSCAD).

Here are a couple of quick screen shots of my, umm, feasibility study:

The circuit board isn't really that thick Smile the thickness includes the batteries.

It'll be a couple days before I actually try printing anything - I need to:

a) remeasure everything properly
b) fix the rounded edges (openSCAD doesn't really do bevels/rounds, unfortunately. Or texture mapping.)
c) decide whether to create the entire top face or just mill off the edges of the original case (thus retaining its sticker Smile )
d) model the case join, circuit board attachment and possibly battery compartment (access).

Does anyone know if the keys are hinged on the case or on the circuit board?

I'll be printing it in black ABS followed by an acetone vapour treatment. I might try imprinting the structure of very fine sandpaper on the surface while it's still "damp" (ie. soft) - I haven't checked to see if anyone has done/tried this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-2014, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2014 11:01 PM by Jeff O..)
RE: WP34S case project
(04-25-2014 05:28 PM)colinh Wrote:  Does anyone know if the keys are hinged on the case or on the circuit board?

Keys are all connected to and hinge on a separate grid or frame which sits between the front of the keyboard and the PCB.

edited to add crappy cell phone picture:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=583]

Dave - My mind is going - I can feel it.
04-26-2014, 12:35 PM
(04-25-2014 08:24 PM)Jeff O. Wrote:  
(04-25-2014 05:28 PM)colinh Wrote:  Does anyone know if the keys are hinged on the case or on the circuit board?

Keys are all connected to and hinge on a separate grid or frame which sits between the front of the keyboard and the PCB.

edited to add crappy cell phone picture:
[...]

Thanks! That's encouraging :-)
04-27-2014, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2014 11:32 AM by anetzer.)
In fine-tuning the design you might consider alloting room for relevant hardware needs such as
- IR-LED for printing
- attachment of flashing cables
- Harald Potts' USB board (+LiIon battery)
-...?

Great initiative!

a.
07-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Just re-discovered that old thread with quite an interesting project. How are things going? Any progress in that matter?

d:-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)