WP34s Programming Cable
02-01-2015, 06:25 AM
RE: WP34s Programming Cable
(02-01-2015 05:39 AM)John Galt Wrote:  I was thinking along those very lines in this post, but I've never worked with that stuff and was concerned that I might have difficulty removing the hardened plastic from the bottom case - which I assume you used as a mold. Did you find any problems removing it? Did you use any mold release substance?
It does stick somewhat and it was indeed a bit of a struggle to remove the plug and especially to do it neatly. I didn't use any mold release substance but it'd probably be a good idea.

(02-01-2015 05:39 AM)John Galt Wrote:  How did you keep the plastic away from interfering with the spring pin's action?
I moved the pins a little bit before the plastic hardened, and had absolutely no problem with the pins getting stuck.

(02-01-2015 05:39 AM)John Galt Wrote:  You said it fits the calculator snugly. That's important. How is that possible, given it's just an interference fit? The pins oppose that force so it's always going to want to come out, right?
The plug grabs the sides of the socket the same way the metal clip does. If you get the amount of plastic that flows into the sides right, it'll be strong enough to oppose the force of the pins but not difficult to insert or remove the plug manually. This is the part that needed a few tries before I got it just right.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2015, 02:55 PM
(02-01-2015 06:25 AM)Bit Wrote:  If you get the amount of plastic that flows into the sides right, it'll be strong enough to oppose the force of the pins but not difficult to insert or remove the plug manually.

That makes sense. I suppose if you can't remove the plug, you could always insert the entire back cover in hot water to soften it, right?
02-01-2015, 03:12 PM
(02-01-2015 02:55 PM)John Galt Wrote:  
(02-01-2015 06:25 AM)Bit Wrote:  If you get the amount of plastic that flows into the sides right, it'll be strong enough to oppose the force of the pins but not difficult to insert or remove the plug manually.

That makes sense. I suppose if you can't remove the plug, you could always insert the entire back cover in hot water to soften it, right?

Yes, or you can use a hairdryer, or you could remove the plug before it completely solidifies and help it with a small knife or similar tool from behind.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)