Poll: What do you prefer?
This poll is closed.
Layout a) 50.00% 21 50.00%
Layout b) 50.00% 21 50.00%
Total 42 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[43S] Let's try a poll on the new forum :-)
12-21-2013, 06:41 PM
RE: [43S] Let's try a poll on the new forum :-)
(12-21-2013 11:14 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Option a for me. Less cluttered.

Pauli

SACRILEGE!

I want another shift key and more colours!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2013, 10:25 PM
(12-21-2013 06:41 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  
(12-21-2013 11:14 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Option a for me. Less cluttered.
SACRILEGE!

You don't remember how you voted, do you?

d;-)
12-21-2013, 11:07 PM
I vote for a but like neither. Put the log functions under menu, but I think the menus should be under a shift key. If there's no essential mapping of a top level key function then can it be made user's choice (program label)?
12-22-2013, 04:26 AM
(12-21-2013 10:25 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(12-21-2013 06:41 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  SACRILEGE!

You don't remember how you voted, do you?

d;-)

Oh no, was i having a dislexic moment. I want clutter! Stops others from using my computer! Also, on a serious note, you get used to it very, very quickly. I can find my way around the Prime alpha keyboard now so even though I can't read that orange, it still works!

Geoff
12-22-2013, 07:41 AM
(12-21-2013 11:07 PM)eri Wrote:  Put the log functions under menu, but I think the menus should be under a shift key.
From a design stance, you're right. Though the respective (blue) locations are all taken. And it would cost an extra keystroke to reach quite popular functions like e^x.
(12-21-2013 11:07 PM)eri Wrote:  If there's no essential mapping of a top level key function then can it be made user's choice (program label)?
What do you want to tell me? Undecided I've to guess:

You may reassign each and every label on the keyboard (except USER). Those user assignments will come to the front in user mode (sic!). There also will be a menu called "MyMenu" you may fill which will appear whenever no other menu is called (even outside of user mode). And you may define your own new menus.

Hope one of those statements may be an answer to what you wanted to ask.

d:-)
12-22-2013, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-24-2013 12:50 AM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(12-20-2013 06:04 PM)walter b Wrote:  Hi all,

Until the threaded views become viable, please allow me to ask you for your preference comparing two (2) alternatives:

a) vs. b)

And what about this?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=52]
Sooo niiiiice! Wink

Oh, and why the double \(a\frac{b}{c}\) ?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-22-2013, 04:52 PM
(12-22-2013 07:41 AM)walter b Wrote:  
(12-21-2013 11:07 PM)eri Wrote:  Put the log functions under menu, but I think the menus should be under a shift key.
From a design stance, you're right. Though the respective (blue) locations are all taken. And it would cost an extra keystroke to reach quite popular functions like e^x.
(12-21-2013 11:07 PM)eri Wrote:  If there's no essential mapping of a top level key function then can it be made user's choice (program label)?
What do you want to tell me? Undecided I've to guess:

You may reassign each and every label on the keyboard (except USER). Those user assignments will come to the front in user mode (sic!). There also will be a menu called "MyMenu" you may fill which will appear whenever no other menu is called (even outside of user mode). And you may define your own new menus.

Hope one of those statements may be an answer to what you wanted to ask.

Have a few key's unshifted function reserved for 'user's choice', if you use log function all the time then you can map them to program labels that do log.
12-22-2013, 08:14 PM
(12-22-2013 12:36 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  And what about this?

Sooo niiiiice! Wink

Answer 2: Same reason as on the WP 34S Wink (just a little reminder that double radix marks will set fraction mode as well).

Answer 1: IIRC, I explained already for the WP 34S why shifted labels shall be on one side of the primary function. De gustibus non est disputandum -- but as long as one design is more coherent than another, I tend to choose the coherent one.

12-22-2013, 08:32 PM
(12-22-2013 08:14 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(12-22-2013 12:36 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  And what about this?

Sooo niiiiice! Wink

Answer 2: Same reason as on the WP 34S Wink (just a little reminder that double radix marks will set fraction mode as well).

Answer 1: IIRC, I explained already for the WP 34S why shifted labels shall be on one side of the primary function. De gustibus non est disputandum -- but as long as one design is more coherent than another, I tend to choose the coherent one.

As far as I see it shifted functions should go on the top of the keyboard (cfr. your PC keyboard and older HP calcs), while putting side by side letters and blue shifted functions makes the bottom of a key a little crowded, or it is just me?
I find the letters between the keys particularly disturbing.

Oh well, I hope there will be alternative overlays available... Smile

Greetings,
    Massimo

12-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Ciao Massimo,
(12-22-2013 08:32 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  As far as I see it shifted functions should go on the top of the keyboard (cfr. your PC keyboard and older HP calcs), while putting side by side letters and blue shifted functions makes the bottom of a key a little crowded, or it is just me?
As long as the lower part of each key is slanted, at least one shifted function will go there. As long as one shifted function goes there, why should the second shifted function of the same key go on its other side?? And as long as f comes before g in alphabet, f-shifted labels shall be closer to the primary ones than g-shifted labels.

(12-22-2013 08:32 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  I find the letters between the keys particularly disturbing.
OK, if you know a better place not yet occupied, feel free to suggest it.

12-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Guten Abend, Walter.

(12-22-2013 09:11 PM)walter b Wrote:  Ciao Massimo,
(12-22-2013 08:32 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  As far as I see it shifted functions should go on the top of the keyboard (cfr. your PC keyboard and older HP calcs), while putting side by side letters and blue shifted functions makes the bottom of a key a little crowded, or it is just me?
As long as the lower part of each key is slanted, at least one shifted function will go there. As long as one shifted function goes there, why should the second shifted function of the same key go on its other side?? And as long as f comes before g in alphabet, f-shifted labels shall be closer to the primary ones than g-shifted labels.

Your design, your rules. That's fine.
I disagree, since I prefer the primary function of the key among the two shifted ones.

Quote:
(12-22-2013 08:32 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  I find the letters between the keys particularly disturbing.
OK, if you know a better place not yet occupied, feel free to suggest it.

I thought I already did... Wink

Greetings,
    Massimo

12-23-2013, 03:49 AM
A

SlideRule
12-23-2013, 05:42 AM
(12-23-2013 03:49 AM)SlideRule Wrote:  A

SlideRule

fill the poll box, please
12-23-2013, 01:35 PM
I've advocated against menus for trigs and logs but am voting A. I'll put the trigs/inverses, the logs/inverses, and sigma +/- on F1-F6 and label them accordingly for an uncluttered layout that will meet my needs >99% of the time.
-Bill
12-23-2013, 10:48 PM
(12-23-2013 01:35 PM)BillCarter Wrote:  I'll put the trigs/inverses, the logs/inverses, and sigma +/- on F1-F6 and label them accordingly for an uncluttered layout that will meet my needs >99% of the time.
I'd recommend you put 'the trigs/inverses, the logs/inverses, and sigma +/-' into MyMenu so you'll see them all the time unless you called another menu. Then you don't have to label F1-F6.

12-23-2013, 11:01 PM
This new forum software works great: the correct choice is winning. (Albeit by just a nose ) Wink
12-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Don't forget two posters were clearly stating their will but were just ... ummh ... unable to find the voting box. Including them would turn the result - just by a nose again though. Develops like a handball score Wink
12-23-2013, 11:41 PM
(12-23-2013 11:28 PM)walter b Wrote:  Don't forget two posters were clearly stating their will but were just ... ummh ... unable to find the voting box. Including them would turn the result - just by a nose again though. Develops like a handball score Wink

Unable to find the voting box? How are they ever going to find something on a sub-menu? Those two need it spelled out on the keyboard. I call those two votes for b) by default.
12-24-2013, 12:44 AM
(12-23-2013 11:41 PM)Marcel Samek Wrote:  
(12-23-2013 11:28 PM)walter b Wrote:  Don't forget two posters were clearly stating their will but were just ... ummh ... unable to find the voting box. Including them would turn the result - just by a nose again though. Develops like a handball score Wink

Unable to find the voting box? How are they ever going to find something on a sub-menu? Those two need it spelled out on the keyboard. I call those two votes for b) by default.

Ahem... since one of those two is one of the developers... Big Grin

Greetings,
    Massimo

12-24-2013, 02:02 AM
(12-23-2013 10:48 PM)walter b Wrote:  I'd recommend you put 'the trigs/inverses, the logs/inverses, and sigma +/-' into MyMenu so you'll see them all the time unless you called another menu. Then you don't have to label F1-F6.

Yes, MyMenu is what I'm thinking. Further, I'm hoping I can find a way to have these functions in MyMenu "active" but not displayed on the screen. I'd only display menus other than MyMenu, instead maximizing the display real estate for the stack (or just keeping the screen uncluttered).
-Bill

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)