FRAM71 Status
06-10-2014, 01:23 AM
FRAM71 Status
As it's been many months (OK, 1) I'm curious about the status of FRAM71. Some folks were beta testing plus there was a brief feature 'feedback' discussion. I am curious of the results of both of those activities and if they've added clarity to an availability date and final feature list. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2014, 09:25 PM
RE: FRAM71 Status
Bump

Anyone?

--Bob Prosperi
06-14-2014, 09:36 PM
(06-14-2014 09:25 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Bump

Anyone?

Nobody. ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-16-2014, 02:54 AM
Bump!

Anyone?

I'm keenly interested in one of these. Where do I send my money!

;-)
09-16-2014, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2014 04:03 PM by Hans Brueggemann.)
almost there... still struggling with the front bezel, awaiting 3D printed samples in the next couple of days. hardware and firmware is finalized and has got some extra features:
1) now supporting multiple chips per memory module (you can for example assign any size (in 8 kB steps) between 8 kB to 380 kB of RAM to a single PORT(5.xx),
2) soft-configured ROM as device type (besides RAM),
3) UART interface for serial comms support,
4) REDEYE protocol support for printing to IR printers (requires extra IRLED/resistor),
5) oscillator with programmable auto-shutoff

feature 2) in conjunction with the previously mentioned E0000-feature lets you now upload a FORTH/Assembler ROM image with a single DMP file.
features 3) and 4) do function under BASIC PEEK$/POKE control, but would very much profit from assembler coded drivers. unfortunately, i can't code in assembler, hence there will be no driver available from my side.

i will update in an extra thread as soon as the bezels arrive. if they don't come out as expected, i will be shipping the modules with hand-made prototypes that you can customize to your own likings :o)
note: an upgrade for previously shipped FRAM71s is available, but requires serious soldering skills. drop me a mail, if interested.

cheers!
hans
09-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Thank you so much for the update Hans.

We really appreciate your efforts and are looking forward to it!

--Bob
09-16-2014, 08:28 PM
1) Given the tremendous success with the 41CL and its pages and pages of HP 41 roms, have you given any further thought to sending these preloaded as the 41CL comes? I suspect that would greatly increase the appeal of the FRAM71. I know it would to me.

2) Failing that :-( I'm suspecting a PIL box would be required to move roms over from a PC. How difficult will that be?

3) Is there a site where a good list of all / most HP 71 ROMs can be found ala the TOS site for the HP 41 ?

I can only think of about a dozen or so HP 71 roms.

Finance
Circuit Analysis
Surveying
Text Editor
Curve Fitting
Mathematics
Forth/Assembler
Data acquisition
Data communications
FORTH/Assembler
AMPI Statistics
HP-41/HP-71 Translator
JPC (Yes a lex file, but ...)

?
09-16-2014, 08:59 PM
(09-16-2014 08:28 PM)Gene Wrote:  1) Given the tremendous success with the 41CL and its pages and pages of HP 41 roms, have you given any further thought to sending these preloaded as the 41CL comes? I suspect that would greatly increase the appeal of the FRAM71. I know it would to me.

2) Failing that :-( I'm suspecting a PIL box would be required to move roms over from a PC. How difficult will that be?

3) Is there a site where a good list of all / most HP 71 ROMs can be found ala the TOS site for the HP 41 ?

Finance
Circuit Analysis
Surveying
Text Editor
Curve Fitting
Mathematics
Forth/Assembler
Data acquisition
Data communications
FORTH/Assembler
AMPI Statistics
HP-41/HP-71 Translator

?

If only you were attending HHC....

Stay tuned my friend

--Bob Prosperi
09-17-2014, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2014 07:34 PM by Hans Brueggemann.)
(09-16-2014 08:28 PM)Gene Wrote:  1) Given the tremendous success with the 41CL and its pages and pages of HP 41 roms, have you given any further thought to sending these preloaded as the 41CL comes? I suspect that would greatly increase the appeal of the FRAM71. I know it would to me.

Finance
Circuit Analysis
Surveying
Text Editor
Curve Fitting
Mathematics
Forth/Assembler
Data acquisition
Data communications
FORTH/Assembler
AMPI Statistics
HP-41/HP-71 Translator

?

hi gene,
to answer your questions:

1) FRAM71 is not designed to function as a library of modules. however, you can load as many ROM images as you wish (and the HP-71B permits) into it.

2) yes, ROM images have to be moved from an external data source into FRAM71, where they are handled as ROM modules. the transfer process isn't difficult at all and should be a breeze with J-F's PILBOX. i'm using an HP82164A, which is, albeit a tad slow, working flawlessly in conjunction with a terminal program on my windows box. you may want to look into the preliminary (and now partly outdated) manual here:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-105...ght=fram71
i'll upload an updated version as soon as time permits.

3) i don't know of such a site, but i can offer to "pre-load" FRAM71 if you send me the ROM images you want to have in it. however, as said above, there is no "backup library" like in the HP-41CL. so, if the rom images get accidentially altered, they are "lost" and can't be restored without an external data source.

3b) you can put LEX files into FRAM71 as well. simply copy them into a FREE PORT(5.xx). i'd also add the 2CDCC system ROMs and similar ROMs to your list, as FRAM71 is able to "revive" machines that have dead ROMs or RAMs.

as a side note, i just received the 3D printed samples of the front bezels and they look ok.

regards,
hans
09-19-2014, 03:38 AM
Are we likely to see a blossoming of new library code for the 71B after this is out? Like the 41CL has done.

- Pauli

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)