Error message when starting the connectivity kit
06-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Error message when starting the connectivity kit
Hi,

I installed the connectivity kit on an old windows XP computer and I get the following message when I try to start the program:

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I tried installing the version that comes with the CD twice, then I downloaded the latest and greatest version from the ftp site and everytime I get the same message.

The virtual calculator works perfectly on the same computer.

Thank you for your help.

Francois
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2014, 10:47 PM
RE: Error message when starting the connectivity kit
seems I got some errors like that and a reboot helped? either way send more information, screen shots of the error message and everything you can.

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

PS: Please post more 50G stuff :)
06-08-2014, 10:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2014 10:53 PM by CosmicTruth.)
Oh and make sure your XP is updated to Service Pack 2 or higher.

Click Start , right-click My Computer , and then click Properties .
The System Properties dialog box displays.
Click the General tab to view the service pack installed on your computer.

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

PS: Please post more 50G stuff :)
06-09-2014, 01:04 PM
(06-08-2014 10:51 PM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  Oh and make sure your XP is updated to Service Pack 2 or higher.

Ok that is my problem. I am a Mac user. I have plenty of recent Mac but no PC.

Knowing all the love that HP have for us Mac user, I picked up a PC in a flea market in order to install the connectivity kit. Obviously it has an old pirated version of Windows, that I won't be able to update to Service Pack 2...

At least I know why it does not work, thank you.

F.
06-09-2014, 01:18 PM
You can download SP 2 without a serial number and install it. Just use the offline installer.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
01-10-2015, 11:40 PM
I receive the same error message after trying to install the connectivity kit on Windows XP (SP2) that is a VM under VirutalBox on a linux machine. Rebooting did not help. The virtual calculator installed fine. I installed from the CD that came with the Prime calculator. I do have the point before the install checkpointed so various install scenarios could be attempted.

I have read a post that this is supposed to work (http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ead=256736) but it contained no tips on how to get this working.

What can I do to get the prime connectivity kit running and then to connect to the Prime calculator attached to the USB?

On a clear disk, you can seek forever.
01-11-2015, 01:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2015 05:10 AM by Tim Wessman.)
I think that is definitely a result of not being XP SP3 or later. All the Microsoft compilers refuse to target anything older then that due to a huge number of under the hood changes.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
01-12-2015, 03:43 AM
I get the same results with SP3 installed.

01-12-2015, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2015 02:12 PM by Tim Wessman.)
(01-12-2015 03:43 AM)davetheguru Wrote:  I get the same results with SP3 installed.

Well dang. You could try installing the vs2008 c++ redists (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...aspx?id=29) and see if that makes any difference. :-(

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
01-13-2015, 05:14 AM
That did the trick Tim, thanks. The connectivity kit came up. However,...

When I installed the vitural calculator from CD and updated it from on line (I also updated the connectivity kit after installing if from CD), it connects to the kit, then, in about a minute the kit crashes. If I don't bring up the virtual calculator but just the kit. The kit is fine. The kit would show the virtual calculator in its list of primes.
When I updated the virtual calculator, it started up with displaying Welcome in several languages with a lock icon. I watched this for a couple of minutes with no system activity. I could not get out of it other than just quiting the app. I wonder if that did something -- if I just had to wait longer or do something else.

Also, the kit does not see the h/w calculator. There is probably some trick I need to do on the Linux host Vbox setup to see it but have not found it yet (tips welcome!). I don't see the HP calculator listed under 'lsusb'. Wait... I changed it from a USB 3.0 plugin to a USB 2.0 plug in and it showed up.
Then I was able to enable it to the guest which then the connectivity kit saw it but then asked about updating firmware. I did that but then the calculator became stuck in recovery mode.
So the next question is how to update firmware on a real calculator with the conn.kit in a VM?

Since this is on a VM, do have the guest checkpointed to before installing HP S/W so I can easily start over with another trial.

01-13-2015, 07:34 PM
(01-13-2015 05:14 AM)davetheguru Wrote:  That did the trick Tim, thanks. The connectivity kit came up. However,...

When I installed the vitural calculator from CD and updated it from on line (I also updated the connectivity kit after installing if from CD), it connects to the kit, then, in about a minute the kit crashes. If I don't bring up the virtual calculator but just the kit. The kit is fine. The kit would show the virtual calculator in its list of primes.
When I updated the virtual calculator, it started up with displaying Welcome in several languages with a lock icon. I watched this for a couple of minutes with no system activity. I could not get out of it other than just quiting the app. I wonder if that did something -- if I just had to wait longer or do something else.

Also, the kit does not see the h/w calculator. There is probably some trick I need to do on the Linux host Vbox setup to see it but have not found it yet (tips welcome!). I don't see the HP calculator listed under 'lsusb'. Wait... I changed it from a USB 3.0 plugin to a USB 2.0 plug in and it showed up.
Then I was able to enable it to the guest which then the connectivity kit saw it but then asked about updating firmware. I did that but then the calculator became stuck in recovery mode.
So the next question is how to update firmware on a real calculator with the conn.kit in a VM?

Since this is on a VM, do have the guest checkpointed to before installing HP S/W so I can easily start over with another trial.
There is an issue with updating firmware using the auto-update feature or the manual
update from the Help menu of the CK causing the freeze in recovery mode. A method
of updating the firmware on the Prime that always works for me is to update the firmware by right-clicking on the Prime icon in the connected calculator pane and
selecting 'firmware update'. Give that a try.
01-14-2015, 03:14 AM
It doesn't seem to matter how I try to update the firmware, the Prime goes to recovery mode. I get a pop up window on XP saying "No updates are available". Yet, I have downloaded them via the CK.

In case I got a flakey install, I rewinded my XP VM back to SP3 + cumulative updates. Then I reinstalled Vixual C++ 2008 Redistributable libraries that Tim suggested above. I also installed in VirutalBox a USB filter so that the Prime will always connect to the VM when it is plugged in. And I kept the Prime connected from now on.

Then I installed the CK from the CD that came with the Prime. I then ordered the CK to download and install the update (it also included a firmware update in the list). But I think just the CK update ran. The Prime connects with the CK fine. However, a lot of times it will come up with "HP Connectivity Kit has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." from Windows (I bet they are sorry). This most happens on start up and after a while will seem stable -- was able to interrogate the Prime and even back it up.
I aso installed the vitual calculator from the CD and updated it from the network. And it crashes the CK too...

It seems the stability is after rebooting XP. I can connect fine. Then I did try to upgrade firmware. To my surprise, it worked! But then after that CK crashed (Prime firmware was fine, restarted back but with latest version). So I don't know what is happing; maybe an XP problem? (Are there some deficiencies in XP anyway that would cause this instability?). Also, if I disconnect after the first time, instability happens again. Connection between the vitual prime and CK seems to always be unstable.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)