Wish to HP - Make a TI-68-like HP calc ;)
12-17-2013, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2013 08:39 AM by sergey.)
Wish to HP - Make a TI-68-like HP calc ;)
As an EE student, I'm a big fan of the TI-68 calculator. Except for lack of RPN and real (non-formula) programmability, this is THE engineer's dream calculator. Not just because it's attractive during studies, as it's permitted at us where graphing calculators aren't but because it has almost anything a non-CAS calculator could have.

The complex number support is seamless and complete - there is no mode switching involved, every function on this calculator will return complex answers, if there are any, including all transcendental functions. Then comes the linear solver, up to 4x4 and the polynomial solver, up to 4th grade - again both return complex solutions. A keypress and i can convert from/to Rect/Polar and there's no mode switching - i can just as well enter something in polar coordinates if i'm in rectangular mode.

If HP re-issues a HP35s successor, i'd buy it if it includes this "seamless" way of handling complex numbers and the solver features like the TI-68. Until then, i'll stay with my TI-68 and my newly aquired HP-11C (i'd wish it was a 15C)

So far no current non-graphing calculator has complete complex number support, most scientific educational handhelds can only perform basic complex arithmetic and i've yet to see another scientifc calculator that can solve 4x4 systems.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2013, 09:05 AM
RE: Wish to HP - Make a TI-68-like HP calc ;)
May I recommend a WP 34S? It supports systems of linear equations, P<->R transformations, complex numbers (on a level similar to the HP-15C), and a real lot more. Please look for it at sourceforge - you can download an emulator there for free, so you can test it on your PC before you buy the real thing. A PDF manual is also available there. Enjoy!

d:-)

(I frankly admit I'm a bit biased in this matter.)
12-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Sergey; If you make the wise choice in going with the WP34s, this link is the cheapest price around for the HP30b you'll need to convert. You will need the cable and they're all gone but if you're in the US, Canada or Europe there may be someone near you with a cable and the needed-but-evil XP system to send it on over.
12-17-2013, 09:31 PM
I agree with Walter. The WP-34S is the way to go and by FAR the best option. You can try the ebay approach if you can find a cable. Another option is a pre-finished unit here:

http://commerce.hpcalc.org/34s.php
12-18-2013, 01:18 AM
WP34S kicks major butt.

There is a wp34s emulator for the iphone and terrific online manuals so you can try it out first.

I am currently holding a wp34s cable that belongs to the community. It is a hot potato and my duty is to mail it on to the next guy.

I'm now waiting for some caps and crystals so I can enable the timer - digikey says they were sent today! When Ive got them installed the cable will be available for someone else.

If you promise to mail the cable on (at your cost) when you're done then I will mail it to you (free of charge).

WRT Flashing: Windows XP is not needed. I flashed my calcs from win7. You do need a machine with a serial port. The manual is clear about what is required.

Eric
07-05-2016, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2016 06:53 PM by Ron Ross.)
Probably the closest to a Ti-68 is the Hp 20s. The Hp20s looks and feels very similar in layout and functions to your Ti-68. While the Hp 20s won't be quite as capable,it is an AOS calculator, the same as your Ti 68 and commes with 99 steps available in a keystep type programming. It is of similar build quality to your Hp 11c (not quite as good, but much, much better than your Ti-68). The Hp 20s can usually be found for about $50-60.
I am an EE, have both, and I would choose the Hp 20s over the Ti-68 (I am probably a bit Hp biased too). Admittedly, I do know the Ti-68 has better functions. However, I normally use an RPN calculator, so I cannot actually claim with any authority that you should buy an Hp 20s (but you should).
Just realized this is a very old post. Moderator, you are welcome to delete.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)