go41cx for android
05-18-2014, 01:34 AM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2014 01:39 AM by Jeff_Kearns.)
go41cx for android
There has been remarkably little chatter about this emulator in the past year (or two). I recently turned in my blackberry for a Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGS4) and have downloaded the free go41c emulator. It looks really good and I am most impressed.

There are, however, some negative comments regarding the paid go41cx version on the SGS4 (including lack of response from Olivier de Smet) and I wonder if anyone can advise if the go41cx is worth the money ~ $9. Some comments state it doesn't work at all...

Here is a recent example from April 28th 2014:

"Can't load Modules or Overlays on SGS4 Kitcat I have a Samsung galaxy S4, Ver 4.4.2 (Kitcat). When trying to create the Import/Export Folders eg "go41cx" etc, the error message = "Unfortunately, o2s.emul.hp41cx has stopped." (However the Folders were created.) I copied the Modules & Overlays into the appropriate Folders. But the files are not visible to be able to be select for one of the 4 ports. What's needed is an update to allow these valuable functions to work, I have sent 6 Emails to the Developer but only received 1 automated reply."

There is a comment from Olivier from Jan 19 2014 that I don't understand and would appreciate if someone could advise:

"As told somewhere in the website, DON'T activate any stuff called 'force GPU acceleration' in android prefs, this breaks the android 2.2 compatibility"

Thanks,

Jeff K
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2014, 02:38 AM
RE: go41cx for android
(05-18-2014 01:34 AM)Jeff_Kearns Wrote:  There has been remarkably little chatter about this emulator in the past year (or two). I recently turned in my blackberry for a Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGS4) and have downloaded the free go41c emulator. It looks really good and I am most impressed.

There are, however, some negative comments regarding the paid go41cx version on the SGS4 (including lack of response from Olivier de Smet) and I wonder if anyone can advise if the go41cx is worth the money ~ $9. Some comments state it doesn't work at all.

I have both go41cx and go41cxt running on a rooted Kindle Fire HD. Never had a problem. Since the issue seems to be specific to Android KitKat, I would wait for Olivier to correct the issue before buying.

In the past, Olivier has been very responsive to emails that I've sent. You can try contacting him via PM. He's registered as user Oulan on this forum.

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
05-18-2014, 09:27 AM
(05-18-2014 02:38 AM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  
(05-18-2014 01:34 AM)Jeff_Kearns Wrote:  There has been remarkably little chatter about this emulator in the past year (or two). I recently turned in my blackberry for a Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGS4) and have downloaded the free go41c emulator. It looks really good and I am most impressed.

There are, however, some negative comments regarding the paid go41cx version on the SGS4 (including lack of response from Olivier de Smet) and I wonder if anyone can advise if the go41cx is worth the money ~ $9. Some comments state it doesn't work at all.

I have both go41cx and go41cxt running on a rooted Kindle Fire HD. Never had a problem. Since the issue seems to be specific to Android KitKat, I would wait for Olivier to correct the issue before buying.

Same here on rooted Galaxy Note and Galaxy tablet 10.1, both on Jelly Bean.
KitKat poses some changes in the internal architecture and SD access.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-18-2014, 09:40 AM
I've been using go41cx for a couple of years now on both a Galaxy Nexus phone and Nexus 7 tablet. No problems at all, and I love the functionality. My devices a're both running KitKat - perhaps the problem is one with SD card storage, which they don't use?

--- Les
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
05-18-2014, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2014 05:10 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(05-18-2014 09:40 AM)Les Bell Wrote:  I've been using go41cx for a couple of years now on both a Galaxy Nexus phone and Nexus 7 tablet. No problems at all, and I love the functionality. My devices a're both running KitKat - perhaps the problem is one with SD card storage, which they don't use?

Yes, of course: Nexus devices don't know what an SD is... ;)

Greetings,
    Massimo

05-19-2014, 01:32 PM
(05-18-2014 01:34 AM)Jeff_Kearns Wrote:  ...
"Can't load Modules or Overlays on SGS4 Kitcat I have a Samsung galaxy S4, Ver 4.4.2 (Kitcat). When trying to create the Import/Export Folders eg "go41cx" etc, the error message = "Unfortunately, o2s.emul.hp41cx has stopped." (However the Folders were created.) I copied the Modules & Overlays into the appropriate Folders. But the files are not visible to be able to be select for one of the 4 ports. ..."

Hi Jeff,

I can confirm this behaviour on my Galaxy S4 with Android 4.4.2. The app used to work before the upgrade to KitKat and still works well on my tablet, Acer Iconia A500. Therefore I also wrote an email to Olivier about the error.

Wait and see,
Günter
05-19-2014, 04:11 PM
(05-19-2014 01:32 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  
(05-18-2014 01:34 AM)Jeff_Kearns Wrote:  ...
"Can't load Modules or Overlays on SGS4 Kitcat I have a Samsung galaxy S4, Ver 4.4.2 (Kitcat). When trying to create the Import/Export Folders eg "go41cx" etc, the error message = "Unfortunately, o2s.emul.hp41cx has stopped." (However the Folders were created.) I copied the Modules & Overlays into the appropriate Folders. But the files are not visible to be able to be select for one of the 4 ports. ..."

Hi Jeff,

I can confirm this behaviour on my Galaxy S4 with Android 4.4.2. The app used to work before the upgrade to KitKat and still works well on my tablet, Acer Iconia A500. Therefore I also wrote an email to Olivier about the error.

Wait and see,
Günter

Olivier has already (within 2 hours) replied to my email. He is investigating further. On an emulated 4.4.2 system he's got a different behaviour. He also stated that he doesn't think there is an impact of the "gpu" issue.

I'd like to emphasize that from my experience Olivier is very responsive. Therefore I can't understand the complain "I have sent 6 Emails to the Developer but only received 1 automated reply."

Günter
05-31-2014, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 10:32 AM by Oulan.)
Hi

I finally discover the origin of the bug : see
http://support.solidexplorer.pl/response...-442-issue
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2617921
http://www.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

It seems that google changed some behavior related to a REAL external SD card plugged in a device.

Now a non google app can not write on it (so the bug you see)

On My nexus 7 as the 'external SD' is in fact a part of the internal flash, the apps still works.

I don't have any 4.4.2 device with a real sd slot to test. So all you can do is :

1 - root your device to gain back the previous behavior.
2 - see if you can redirect the goxx apps on the 'internal' sd ??
3 - avoid upgrading to 4.4.2 if you can.

I need to rethink the WHOLE behavior of import/export on a majority of goXX apps.

I am sorry for this problems, but they are related to google decisions ??

I will try to find a new way to do import/export ...

Olivier
05-31-2014, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 01:33 PM by Oulan.)
I just put a new relasease (1.6.3) of go41cx with the following change :

On kitkat device with a real sd card, import/export directory is now /Android/data/o2s.hp41cx/files/... instead of /go41cx/...
on the sdcard. For emulated sdcard (ie Nexus 7 with kitkat), nothing changes

Please tell me if this works as I can not test it on real devices.

Olivier
05-31-2014, 03:51 PM
(05-31-2014 01:01 PM)Oulan Wrote:  I just put a new relasease (1.6.3) of go41cx with the following change :

On kitkat device with a real sd card, import/export directory is now /Android/data/o2s.hp41cx/files/... instead of /go41cx/...
on the sdcard. For emulated sdcard (ie Nexus 7 with kitkat), nothing changes

Please tell me if this works as I can not test it on real devices.

Olivier

Bonjour Olivier,

it still doesn't work on my Galaxy S4 with 4.4.2, sorry. The folder is created though. The behaviour is as it used to be before. The difference is that now the respective directories are created on the external sd-card as you have described.

Question is, why is it possible for the app to create the directories, but not to write files into them? That sounds mysterious to me.

Would it be of any use to send the automated error report?

Günter
06-02-2014, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2014 01:12 PM by Oulan.)
A new release will appear in google play correcting the bug. Be patient.

On kitkat device, import/export directory is now /Android/data/o2s.emul.hp41cx/files/... instead of /go41cx/...

For older android, nothing change

Olivier
06-03-2014, 03:47 PM
(06-02-2014 10:47 AM)Oulan Wrote:  A new release will appear in google play correcting the bug. Be patient.

On kitkat device, import/export directory is now /Android/data/o2s.emul.hp41cx/files/... instead of /go41cx/...

For older android, nothing change

Olivier

Thanks Olivier,

looks like it works flawlessly now on my SG4.

Günter
08-03-2014, 06:00 PM
I purchased go41cx for my rooted Galaxy Note 2 and it works GREAT! I like the fact that I can have easy access to so many of the HP ROM Modules and can clock it to very high speeds.
02-12-2016, 03:17 AM
I just got the go41cx modules working with my new Nexus 5x and am thrilled. Just load the modules to /Android/data/o2s.hp41cx/files/modules and it will find them there.

Also bought the go29c and go48gx emulators from Oliver. Excellent!!
02-12-2016, 03:42 AM
My old RazrM barely works as a phone anymore. Can't send attachments on messages, no notifications of missed calls or messages either.

Verizon is happy to replace the phone, not fix the software updates that fried it however.

I get time, I'm getting a new phone. Would entertain suggestions, especially models that excel hosting HP41 apps. The SG4 has been noted.

2speed HP41CX,int2XMEM+ZEN, HPIL+DEVEL, HPIL+X/IO, I/R, 82143, 82163, 82162 -25,35,45,55,65,67,70,80
02-15-2016, 04:13 PM
I would like to know how to replace the current images for HEPAX, CCD OSX, and LIB 4 with the latest ones available from 'Angel Martin. Right now I have to turn them off then use slots to put in the ones I prefer (HEPAX-1G, OSXBS4X7H and LIBRARY4_Q). I can create combined modules (the OSX and LIB4 are combined, appear in proper areas, but take up a slot, and I can't seem to add any additional modules to fill the slot I use for that module). They work in V41, but fail in go41cx. It would solve a lot of issues to be able to replace these "built-in" images.
02-24-2016, 05:58 AM
Well, considering I almost always wind up hating whatever cell phone I get (LG Chocolate excepted), I decided to get a REALLY cheap one at Costco.

So, day 2 with a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime. Cheap enough it is uninsurable, and it has a REPLACEABLE battery !!!

(I remain convinced removing the battery overnight from my EXTREMELY wonky Droid Razr would fix it 100%, but it's impossible for me to extract it)

Anyhow, have RELUCTANTLY got a gmail account (cue disturbing piano cord foreshadowing a Google apocalypse upon my well being) and was able to rapidly load;

go41c

HP67

a41CV

and they appear functional. go41c seems to be as authentic an experience as I am going to have for free, HP67 is quite nice too. For whatever reason, a41CV doesn't seem to be very stable on my Sammy, but I'm thinking I'll just spring for the go41CX at some point, so not a problem.

I actually like the phone, it is quite similar to the Razr, with the big diffence being, all the bells and whistles actually work.

It's eerie, I'll give you that.

As for the HP apps, I will concede the convenience factor, but I am having some pangs of "purity of experience" or authenticity, I have one of the most tricked out stock looking CXs on the planet, it seems like I am being disloyal, or craven, or something, for letting my cell phone pinch hit for an actual HP41 of any stripe.

I feel unclean . . . .

2speed HP41CX,int2XMEM+ZEN, HPIL+DEVEL, HPIL+X/IO, I/R, 82143, 82163, 82162 -25,35,45,55,65,67,70,80
02-24-2016, 07:05 AM
It is true that Olivier does not reply to emails sent via olivier.2.smet@gmail.com (google play). But it's very good to see he is still alive on this forum. My question concerned the way help pages appear when touching the left side of the hp41cx screen on a samsung note 4 (and note 3) : fonts are very big, say, unreadable. Is there any solution somebody found to this ?
02-24-2016, 10:22 AM
(02-24-2016 07:05 AM)parse Wrote:  It is true that Olivier does not reply to emails sent via olivier.2.smet@gmail.com (google play). But it's very good to see he is still alive on this forum. My question concerned the way help pages appear when touching the left side of the hp41cx screen on a samsung note 4 (and note 3) : fonts are very big, say, unreadable. Is there any solution somebody found to this ?

Here is how it looks on my Note 3, were you referring to this?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Greetings,
    Massimo

02-24-2016, 12:31 PM
Massimo,
No, bigger than that (just the first word "alpha" is displayed near the name of the function)...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)