TI Calcs
02-16-2019, 07:50 PM
TI Calcs
Thinning the herd some more..

Here are a few TI calcs and accessories. Nothing too special but there are several modules for the TI58/59 and a TI58.

TI Calcs

These have not been tested.

-John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2019, 03:22 PM
RE: TI Calcs
(02-16-2019 07:50 PM)jeh12345 Wrote:  Thinning the herd some more..

Here are a few TI calcs and accessories. Nothing too special but there are several modules for the TI58/59 and a TI58.

TI Calcs

These have not been tested.

-John

Hi,

I'm interested in the aviation Rom, one charger and the blank cards.

Last time I was the first to PM you about the 41cx, books, etc. You replied me saying you would give me shipping cost. You never gave that answer and afterwards I found that everything I wanted was already sold.

Let's see if this time it'll work.

Thanks.
02-19-2019, 06:22 PM
(02-19-2019 03:22 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  Last time I was the first to PM you about the 41cx, books, etc. You replied me saying you would give me shipping cost. You never gave that answer and afterwards I found that everything I wanted was already sold.

Hmm... Looks like I'm in a similar situation now.
02-19-2019, 09:03 PM
(02-19-2019 06:22 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(02-19-2019 03:22 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  Last time I was the first to PM you about the 41cx, books, etc. You replied me saying you would give me shipping cost. You never gave that answer and afterwards I found that everything I wanted was already sold.

Hmm... Looks like I'm in a similar situation now.

I guess it is a good procedure whenever there's an item in the classifieds section, one interested in purchase the item(s) post in the respective thread "PM sent" to let everybody know that one send the PM and the order of interesteds.

I think this is fair.

Cheers

JL
02-19-2019, 09:47 PM
(02-19-2019 09:03 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  I guess it is a good procedure whenever there's an item in the classifieds section, one interested in purchase the item(s) post in the respective thread "PM sent" to let everybody know that one send the PM and the order of interesteds.

I think this is fair.

Cheers

JL

This is an old topic that comes up from time to time.

Although I get your point, there is no way to monitor if/when people send a PM, and it can't be demanded in any case, so it really comes down to a decision made by the seller. And while I can understand your notion of fairness, the items are his/hers to sell or dispose of as they see fit, and there really is no means to make it fair, or in most cases even judge if the selection is fair or not (since other replies may not be visible).

That said, it really is incumbent upon sellers to eventually acknowledge (to the sender) receiving all such PMs (or email) and to notify those that didn't win/have a chance to make a purchase/out-bid/etc. that they did not 'win' and, ideally, why not. But this too is just my notion of fairness and there is no way to enforce it, other than not responding to sellers that don't behave accordingly (though often it's a new member, only here to sell something).

--Bob Prosperi
02-19-2019, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2019 11:17 PM by Jlouis.)
(02-19-2019 09:47 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(02-19-2019 09:03 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  I guess it is a good procedure whenever there's an item in the classifieds section, one interested in purchase the item(s) post in the respective thread "PM sent" to let everybody know that one send the PM and the order of interesteds.

I think this is fair.

Cheers

JL

This is an old topic that comes up from time to time.

Although I get your point, there is no way to monitor if/when people send a PM, and it can't be demanded in any case, so it really comes down to a decision made by the seller. And while I can understand your notion of fairness, the items are his/hers to sell or dispose of as they see fit, and there really is no means to make it fair, or in most cases even judge if the selection is fair or not (since other replies may not be visible).

That said, it really is incumbent upon sellers to eventually acknowledge (to the sender) receiving all such PMs (or email) and to notify those that didn't win/have a chance to make a purchase/out-bid/etc. that they did not 'win' and, ideally, why not. But this too is just my notion of fairness and there is no way to enforce it, other than not responding to sellers that don't behave accordingly (though often it's a new member, only here to sell something).

Ok, Bob, understood.

I know that it depends on the seller.

But if there were rules for the seller and the potential buyers, I think deals would be more transparent.

I think that the reasons sellers appear here to sell are that they want their stuff going to collectors or enthusiasts like us, that they know the buyer will keep and care the item bought with care. They don't want to sell to speculators that only want to make profit.

That said, there should be a system for assuring transparency for the negotiations. Sometimes the seller does not want to send his item abroad, or doesn't trust in send an item to some country. That's ok, but it should have being said explicitly.

And for your arguments against the impossibility to control the deals, I have to say that we have to be (presumably at least) ethical and I think this is not a problem here.

So, resuming, if there's a pinned thread with rules in the classified section, for sellers and buyers, we can have a fairer and tranparent classified section. Even if the seller specifies " I want to sell only for americans" or "I want to sell only for senior members" or even "I want to sell for A and B members". And the buyer should follow the rule of posting a reply saying the items he wants and the order of the replies should be followed.

I hope I could be let myself be understood, English is not my native language.

Just an opinion.

Thanks for listening me.

Cheers

Edit: Another point: If a seller wants to make an auction for an item, this is not the place to do that. He must go to TAS an do that. That must be one of the rules.
02-20-2019, 12:11 AM
(02-19-2019 11:06 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  Ok, Bob, understood.

I know that it depends on the seller.

But if there were rules for the seller and the potential buyers, I think deals would be more transparent.

I think that the reasons sellers appear here to sell are that they want their stuff going to collectors or enthusiasts like us, that they know the buyer will keep and care the item bought with care. They don't want to sell to speculators that only want to make profit.

That said, there should be a system for assuring transparency for the negotiations. Sometimes the seller does not want to send his item abroad, or doesn't trust in send an item to some country. That's ok, but it should have being said explicitly.

And for your arguments against the impossibility to control the deals, I have to say that we have to be (presumably at least) ethical and I think this is not a problem here.

So, resuming, if there's a pinned thread with rules in the classified section, for sellers and buyers, we can have a fairer and tranparent classified section. Even if the seller specifies " I want to sell only for americans" or "I want to sell only for senior members" or even "I want to sell for A and B members". And the buyer should follow the rule of posting a reply saying the items he wants and the order of the replies should be followed.

I hope I could be let myself be understood, English is not my native language.

Just an opinion.

Thanks for listening me.

Cheers

Edit: Another point: If a seller wants to make an auction for an item, this is not the place to do that. He must go to TAS an do that. That must be one of the rules.

I don't fully agree with everything you've said Jlouis. I can see no reason why a seller should not accept the 2nd, or 5th or 20th offer made for an item, if that's the offer he likes best (regardless of reason - highest bid, easiest shipping, person seller likes best, whatever). There should be nothing forcing the seller to sell to the first bidder, regardless of amount and conditions. The initial bidder may be offering well under market value - is it right they must win simply because they happened to reply first? But I do agree, full-on auctioning with bids and counter-bids does not belong here, there are better places as you've said.

I also agree that sellers should specify the parameters of his/her offer (EU-only, trades considered too, limited shipping methods, etc.) to limit traffic to truly qualified bidders/buyers, and avoid frustration and disappointment. Repeat sellers do this, first-timers typically don't. Don't know how to fix that.

As for adding/posting more rules, I don't think it will help much as folks just joining to sell their stuff often don't read them anyhow. Not enforcing rules means they are pointless, while strictly enforcing them adds work for the mods, and often leads to folks just walking away, feeling they are being maligned, etc. and withdrawing their items for sale. We want to make it easy and friendly for new members to sell items here.

Other than disappointment from folks that bid early and don't win (and I have been that guy more than once), I think the current system is working OK; if occasional disappointment is the only real problem, it's probably best to leave it as it is. Just my 2 cents.

--Bob Prosperi
02-20-2019, 12:54 AM
Ok, Bob, no problem.

It was just an idea.

As you said, it's a bit frustrating when you just reply for a seller, the seller agrees to ship to your country, he only ask some time to send shipping cost, you wait, and when you see, the items you wanted are already sold.

But who said the world is fair?

Thanks for your reply, anyway.

Cheers

JL
02-20-2019, 05:12 PM
Hi Jose, You're in line to purchase the HP items we agreed on. I've just been busy with work and haven't had a chance to pack and ship things.
Thanks for your patience!
John
02-20-2019, 07:24 PM
(02-20-2019 05:12 PM)jeh12345 Wrote:  Hi Jose, You're in line to purchase the HP items we agreed on. I've just been busy with work and haven't had a chance to pack and ship things.
Thanks for your patience!
John

Thank you John for this reply!
02-24-2019, 04:33 PM
I agree with JLouis, having myself been on the short end of several failed attempts at buying things here.

I think we could indeed improve the situation dramatically and increase fairness, all we have to do is want to do so.

If we (somebody) comes up with a template of all the info for a post in the classifieds and a very short and clear list of the way things should work, and we insure that is followed, then we have transparency and fairness.

For example only: Item description, condition (according to some descriptive scale set forth here), location of item, where the seller is willing to ship, price and whether it is best offer, etc.

And if you argue sellers don't have to be transparent nor fair, I agree with that 100%. But maybe it is appropriate to strive for that here. This is a hobbyist forum, not a marketplace. Many of the guys selling here have never posted and joined just to sell. The guys who have been on the forum know each other and I think we trust each other enough to expect square deals.

I don't think trying to clear up the confusion and make things better is difficult.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)