HP85a and hp9133H
02-15-2019, 08:26 AM
HP85a and hp9133H
Hardware: HP85A with 16 k ram upgrade, hp-ib interface, PRM-85 with super rom V2 (EMS).

Configuration HP9133H (HW rev. C): HP-IB addr. 0, HD switch 1 (HD 20 MB)

Problems:
command for ex. "CAT ":D700" works but the command CAT ":D701" (floppy 3,5") i become a 126 ERROR

HD switch 2, 3,..., commands INITIALIZE "HD0",":D700" works, but INITIALIZE "HD0",":D701" (2nd HD) gives 126 ERROR, the same error when i access the floppy.

Note: the HW configuration is how indicated in the service manual of the 9133H, the HD/floppy test at power on is OK.

HELP !

Fabrizio
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2019, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2019 01:56 PM by Paul Berger (Canada).)
RE: HP85a and hp9133H
(02-15-2019 08:26 AM)fguarisco Wrote:  Hardware: HP85A with 16 k ram upgrade, hp-ib interface, PRM-85 with super rom V2 (EMS).

Configuration HP9133H (HW rev. C): HP-IB addr. 0, HD switch 1 (HD 20 MB)

Problems:
command for ex. "CAT ":D700" works but the command CAT ":D701" (floppy 3,5") i become a 126 ERROR

HD switch 2, 3,..., commands INITIALIZE "HD0",":D700" works, but INITIALIZE "HD0",":D701" (2nd HD) gives 126 ERROR, the same error when i access the floppy.

Note: the HW configuration is how indicated in the service manual of the 9133H, the HD/floppy test at power on is OK.

HELP !

Fabrizio

Setting the 9133H disk to anything other than 0 or 1 divides the disk into units referred to as "volumes" the Series 80 machines do not understand "volumes" so you will only be able to access the first one, this is stated in the manual for the Extended Mass Storage ROM.

When you try the diskette drive does the drive light come on? If not it is possible the drive is really dead or jumpers on the board are set for 9134 which is the same unit without a diskette drive.

Be careful with the diskette drives in these units they usually require cleaning and lubrication. The mechanism that loads and ejects the diskette gets sticky and does not operate properly. The worst effect is the top head does not retract properly and there is danger of ripping off the head when pulling out the diskette.

A good place to go for assistance with Series 80 is the hpseries80 group on groups.io.

Paul.
02-15-2019, 01:59 PM
It is very common that the floppy drives in these HP units have the sliding mechanisms inside (that both locks/ejects the diskette body and also lets the head move) stuck in-place as the grease/dust have dried and locked-up.

Open the case and remove the floppy unit and carefully clean the sliiding arms with alcohol. Though hard to describe, it's pretty easy to see once you handle the floppy drive unit, which arms are supposed to slide. After cleaning, lubricate the moving parts with a thin coat of light machine oil or silicone grease (sewing machine oil works fine and is easy to find).

Once cleaned and lubed, exercise the mechanisms by inserting and ejecting a diskette 10-20 times to 'work it in' before you put it back into the case. Also, make sure that the head is properly aligned and not previously damaged by someone that pulled a diskette out with the head still making contact (since the retract mechanism was stuck). If so, it MAY be possible to correct, but also may not, it depends on how damaged the head/retract arm is. If damaged, you will likely have to replace the floppy drive unit. If so, the Sony model number is usually listed on the drive and they are generally available on eBay or other vintage part sources, though you may have to be patient to find a cheap one.

Good luck.

--Bob Prosperi
02-15-2019, 07:29 PM
Powering up the drive with a diskette installed runs a more extensive self test that includes a read/write test.

If that passes there are additional diagnostics that can be run by setting the HP-IB address switch in conjunction with the SELECT TEST JUMPER. See p. 4-2 of the Service Manual.

http://www.hpmuseum.net/document.php?hwfile=2708
03-14-2019, 01:41 PM
HP85a and hp9133H
Problem resolved: was a bad contact in one of the bridges A...G.
Now i see the floppy (:D701) but when i try to INITIALIZE a disk (DS/DD) after a certain time i become the message "bad media", the time is never the same.

I have tried to clean the unit and the head but not resolved.

Can you help me?

Is the unit dead?

Fabrizio

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)