Keyboard (ENTER) fix for vintage 12c?
05-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Keyboard (ENTER) fix for vintage 12c?
I got a 12c off eBay a while back and that was one of the first things I ever bought on eBay. Not really knowing my way around I got sort of suckered into a 12c that had a lousy Enter key. I just kept it.

I hardly use it; I only use the scientific ones now.

So, is there a fix for this?

The key works but there is no more "bounce" to it (not the bad kind of key bounce, it just doesn't feel like it has any springiness). I don't remember what the keyboard construction is. Is it a membrane with little bubbles that the key compresses? Is said bubble "popped" on the 12c?

I recall trying to open it up but then I was faced with a big wrapper of heavy black paper, and didn't go further.

Just curious. This is not a super important fix. I've left it like that for years, sitting around.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2014, 04:40 AM
RE: Keyboard (ENTER) fix for vintage 12c?
There is a rubber sheet under the keys. Under the rubber sheet there is like 8 sets of steel domes five domes per set, configured in two columns and four rows. Under the domes are the usual gold plated traces.

You can basically see the whole thing here:

http://gallery.brouhaha.com/v/computer/r...6.jpg.html

Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2014, 06:17 AM
RE: Keyboard (ENTER) fix for vintage 12c?
Thanks for the "innards" web page! I had been trying, without luck, to locate "teardown" vides on YouTube (well serendipitously that's how I came across the KINOMI project).

For my 12c I wonder if it is a broken snap disk on the ENTER or if the key itself has a broken hinge or something.
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)