Popular Electronics Games for HP-25
01-19-2019, 01:39 AM
Popular Electronics Games for HP-25
The June 1977 edition of Popular Electronics included an article "How to program calculators for fun and games" and includes 6 games for the HP-25, including Football, Spaceflight, Blackjack, Test your ESP, Battle Dive Bomber and Biorhythm forecast.

Here is a color scan of the complete article with listings, plus a few interesting ads for calculators in that same issue:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AiI5Ei2M2Ja2mHMsEXfTUEZOz3Tk

My thanks to Jake Schwartz for the excellent scan. It's hard to get clear color scans from the ancient pulp paper stock used at the time, these are great.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2019, 03:48 AM
RE: Popular Electronics Games for HP-25
I wonder how the TKenterprises ad would go today when mentioning the competitor as "he" :-)

cheers

Tony
01-19-2019, 04:15 AM
I remember pouring through the listings when this was published.
Good memories.

Pauli
01-19-2019, 05:15 AM
(01-19-2019 01:39 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  The June 1977 edition of Popular Electronics included an article "How to program calculators for fun and games" and includes 6 games for the HP-25, including Football, Spaceflight, Blackjack, Test your ESP, Battle Dive Bomber and Biorhythm forecast.

Here is a color scan of the complete article with listings, plus a few interesting ads for calculators in that same issue:

My thanks to Jake Schwartz for the excellent scan. It's hard to get clear color scans from the ancient pulp paper stock used at the time, these are great.

What a small world! I subscribed to Popular Electronics and Elementary Electronics magazines in the 70's. This very June 1977 issue (shipped to me in late May) was the straw that broke the camel's back when it came for waiting to buy an HP-25. I had been saving up for over a year and with the money I received for my 16th birthday, I had my mother drive me to T. K. Enterprises in Lawndale, CA to buy one. Here is a copy of the receipt and the sticker that T. K. Enterprises put on the inside back cover of the HP-25 Owner's Handbook. And yes I played every one of those games. That HP-25 took served through High School, 4 years of college and two years of my first job as an Electrical Engineer. It still works great today.

Thank you rprosperi and Jake for bringing back those great memories. I will always remember my HP-25 is an elegant calculating machine for a more civilized ageSmile

Steve

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2019, 04:11 AM
Thanks for this wonderfully piece of history!

Highly appreciated.

Cheers

JL
02-05-2019, 11:46 PM
Great scan and great addition to HP-25 Software History, many thanks!
03-26-2019, 01:41 PM
(01-19-2019 01:39 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  The June 1977 edition of Popular Electronics included an article "How to program calculators for fun and games" and includes 6 games for the HP-25, including Football, Spaceflight, Blackjack, Test your ESP, Battle Dive Bomber and Biorhythm forecast.

ESP and Biorhythms... You know it was the 1970s!
09-12-2020, 12:02 PM
(01-19-2019 01:39 AM)rprosperi Wrote:    The June 1977 edition of Popular Electronics included an article "How to program calculators for fun and games" and includes 6 games for the HP-25, including Football, Spaceflight, Blackjack, Test your ESP, Battle Dive Bomber and Biorhythm forecast.

A three-part reprint of the same article titled Come programmare calcolatori per divertimento e per giochi - Parte 1a {May, pgs. 14-20}, Come programmare calcolatori per divertimento e per giochi - Parte 2a {June, pgs. 29-35} & Come programmare calcolatori per divertimento e per giochi - Parte 3a {July/August, pgs. 13-15} 1979 editions of RADIORAMA as:
(a) BOMBARDIERE IN PICCHIATA,
(b) FOOTBALL,
(c) BLACKJACK (o giuoco del 21),
(c) VOLO SPAZIALE,
(d) PREVISIONI DEL BIORITMO,
(e) PROVATE LA VOSTRA E S P,
in Italiano!

BEST!
SlideRule

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)