Almost running out of space for attachments
01-13-2019, 11:15 AM
Almost running out of space for attachments
Wondering if this is the right place to post it, so let me apologize upfront if not ...

I have almost finished my 8 MB of space and therefore will not be able to post more attachments,
can anybody suggest me how to do it to get more space ?

Thanks for help Alberto

Edoardo & Alberto
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2019, 11:21 AM
RE: Almost running out of space for attachments
is not possible, the admin decides it.

I suggest: for images to use imgur.
It is a pretty stable site since tens of years. But keep the uploads unlisted otherwise people wouldn't understand and will downvote you.

for files. Hmm for files I'm a bit at loss. I do not know any stable (that is:years of service) public hosting with plenty of space. Or maybe... one drive?

I know that dropbox drop the links after a while, my old one drive links still work.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
01-13-2019, 03:41 PM
Use an Amazon Web Services (AWS) "S3" bucket for both images and files and just link to the actual files in your posts.
01-14-2019, 07:12 PM
(01-13-2019 11:15 AM)albertofenini Wrote:  I have almost finished my 8 MB of space and therefore will not be able to post more attachments,
can anybody suggest me how to do it to get more space ?

First of all, I think 8 MB is quite a lot for attachments like the ones that are typically posted here. For instance, a 700x1000 pixel JPEG image does not have to occupy much more than100 KB to be displayed in good quality. And most of the pictures you posted recently agree with this.

Which makes me wonder where all your 8 MB went in the past – in not much more than 30 posts, that is. You may try this: log in and click on "User CP" on top of the page. This takes you to your control panel where you will find a section "My attachments" which lists all your attechments along with their individual size. Can you spot the ones that occupy an extraordinary amount of memory?

Dieter
01-14-2019, 08:40 PM
Hi Dieter

I had already done that check.
Consider we take pictures with an Iphone X so every image is originally about 3 or 4 MB,
once reduced it shrinks down to 300 or 400 KB, which is under the forum limit of 500KB but is still a lot.
This is where our MB have gone.
Recently we have reduced to 640X480 the resolution and reduced the quality of JPEG to 70%,
we use PhotoScape, and we have obtained images of 75 KB each.
I was hoping to get more space, but since this is not possible we will do two things,
firstly we will try to reduce the first images posted, this should free up some space,
then we will use a hosting service, and this should give us more space.

Thanks again for your suggestions, take care Alberto

Edoardo & Alberto

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)