Indefinite "wait" state installing HP connectivity kit
01-11-2019, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2019 09:04 AM by rkf.)
Indefinite "wait" state installing HP connectivity kit
Hi there,

after aquiring a HP Prime G2 as an addition to the Rev C version in my collection I tried to update the firmware, which prior demanded an update of the HP connectivity kit - a task I did numerous times before.

But now I'm stuck indefinitely on "Please wait while Windows configures Hp Connectivity Kit (64 bit)". I tried uninstalling previous version, I tried both 32 bit and 64 bit versions, I tried .exe and .msi installers to no avail. Antivirus software is disabled already to exclude also that as a reason. BTW, I have a Win 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB version installed.

Any ideas out there, google wasn't of any help with this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2019, 02:36 PM
RE: Indefinite "wait" state installing HP connectivity kit
Hi!, rkf :
Try, delete all of HP PRIME installed in your computer, from Device Administrator and then download and install, this files ...

http://ftp.ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Pr...181016.zip
http://ftp.ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Pr..._10_16.exe
http://ftp.ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Pr..._10_16.exe

From ... http://ftp.ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime
Note : Charge the battery of calculator to 100% before, the connect to computer.
01-12-2019, 12:36 PM
There are two other things that get installed - the c++ redistrobutables, and the apple bonjour installer. Maybe one of these is the culprit for some reason?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
01-12-2019, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2019 02:42 PM by rprosperi.)
(01-12-2019 12:36 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  There are two other things that get installed - the c++ redistrobutables, and the apple bonjour installer. Maybe one of these is the culprit for some reason?

Well, at last I know how Bonjour keeps getting installed on my machines; it frankly never occurred to me that the Prime s/w was the source; I have removed it. Can the CK and virtual and physical machines communicate properly without it?

Update: CK seems to still work (with the Virtual Prime) but both the VP and CK are very sluggish. Maybe comms fall back to some other method if Bonjour isn't available?

Update2: Disabling "mDns" in the IP Networking section of Preferences restores normal behavior.

@Tim - if this works fine with built-in Windows networking capabilities, why is Bonjour also installed? Faster? Needed for classroom stuff?

--Bob Prosperi
01-15-2019, 09:08 AM
Thanks to all who helpfully responded! In the between, I switched to another desktop computer with identical hardware, and almost the same software- and patchlevel, and there weren't any problems with installing or updating the HP software. So I deduce that I have a somewhat hidden problem with the installed software base on my first desktop, but since I have a workaround, and no time at the moment to dig further into this mess, I stop the search for a solution at least for now.
01-16-2019, 01:37 AM
(01-15-2019 09:08 AM)rkf Wrote:  Thanks to all who helpfully responded! In the between, I switched to another desktop computer with identical hardware, and almost the same software- and patchlevel, and there weren't any problems with installing or updating the HP software. So I deduce that I have a somewhat hidden problem with the installed software base on my first desktop, but since I have a workaround, and no time at the moment to dig further into this mess, I stop the search for a solution at least for now.

Well, glad that it worked out. I honestly have no idea what might have been going wrong and this was the first report I've ever heard of similar behavior.

TW

01-16-2019, 01:40 AM
(01-12-2019 02:27 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  @Tim - if this works fine with built-in Windows networking capabilities, why is Bonjour also installed? Faster? Needed for classroom stuff?

It is for discovery. For the "native" broadcasting detection to work, the anti-virus must not be gettingin the way, the network must be configured to allow it, and a few other things can potentially block. For example, ios/android detection was spotty but much better with the zeroconf discovery. ChromeOS totally blocked anything but that.

Really, there are 3 ways to connect - the "broadcast" native way (most likely to not work for some reason on the network, the mDns (zeroconf) way which is much more likely to work and better for mobile devices, or a direct "write the ip" address method.

TW

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)